Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please help! What should I spend my money on??!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help! What should I spend my money on??!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info everyone. Its certainly a big help in deciding what to go for.

I've got another question though - do you know if the TomTom Go can have extra POI's uploaded to it, such as speed camera's (and McDonalds!)??

Thanks!
Question
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
icsys, I don't want to divert the thread although this could help. I note you have OS mapping on your 2210. For walking?

Also Smart software. Obviously happy with it. I assume the setup is portable, i.e outside of a car?

Yes it's portable. I use it with OS maps for walking. The bluetooth receiver is excellent for this. Once I have a fix I place the receiver in the backpack and forget about it. A new set of batteries last 15 hours or more and a fully charged 2210 lasts around 6 - 7 hours.

As for Smart ST, yes i'm happy with it. I will be even happier with version 3 which will have everything that TomTom has... and more Wink

Hobbers wrote:
I've got another question though - do you know if the TomTom Go can have extra POI's uploaded to it, such as speed camera's (and McDonalds!)??

Not at the moment... but the next update for the GO promises this feature, if it ever materialises!
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
johnny_bike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post on this site so bear with me.

I own a PC and laptop and etrek GPS and Fugawi mapping software
I am going to buy a MIO168 with either TT3 or CP5 (can't decide yet).

I don't really need a PDA (although I do use a Palm Pilot for odd notes and contact details as it saves me winding up my laptop). However I am a bit of gadget man and I work away a lot so the navigation software will be good. I will abandon the PP3 then)

The daft thing with all PC's is that they only seem to sync with Outlook. I am getting away from MS (using Thunderbird and Firefox (Mozilla)) but I still need Outlook to keep my calendar/contacts in and that syncs with Palm Pilot and my MIO168 when I get it.

I have tried a MIO168 with CP4 and was very impressed. My main initial requirement is to get the POI speed database installed.

I want to order a 256Mb or bigger card rather than the standard 128Mb that everyone seems to sell. I will probably buy from globalpositioing systems at either £360 (TT3/128MB) or £399 (CP5/128Mb). I really don't know which yet and I think it is just a matter of picking one and settling for that. I am keen to save the £40 difference, but CP5 has the M6 tool road on and presumably other newer roads and I have seen CP4 working whereas I have not seen TT3 at all.

This thread has been good and topgazza's input has been very useful. Hope I have not bored everyone

Cheers

John
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad my humble thoughts have been of some use John. Everytime I log on I look at GPSystems and think "maybe I should consider this....."

Certainly agree on the bigger card and it would be a simple action for ALL bundles to include a 256mb as standard. Even a 512 but I don't think anything is going to change overnight. If the £50 difference is enough to make you hesitate then thats enough to go for TT3. I would suggest. Nothing wrong in that at all, spend the diff on a bigger card and for a bit more a powered mount (Arkon seems to be a fav). Perhaps CP5 is a better solution and as I have said , the software is the most important thing, so I would spend the extra on that. Trouble is everytime you consider a hange/upgrade to your buying option it opens another whole bag of worms as in a whole new raft of options.....and therefore costs. Before you know it you've spent £600!

Solution in my view is to go online order what you really want and before you hesitate hit the "submit" button. Whatever arrives will be fine. Having looked at this you can't go far wrong with TT3 or CP5. The latter is the one for me however despite the price difference.
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, answered my questions, and helped me make a decision.

I've now ordered the IPAQ 2210 with TT3, TT Car Kit and a wired receiver (due to spending all day in the car sometimes), plus a 512mb CF card.

Its due for delivery on Monday so no doubt I'll be back on here again asking for help setting it all up!!

Thanks again!
Hobbers
Clap
johnny_bike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which wired receiver Hobbers, and how much di dthat set up cost?
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I got the TomTom receiver that comes in the box with TomTom3. I got the whole lot as a bundle from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk and it cost me £391.94 (incl VAT) for all the gear, and then £59.95 (incl VAT) for the 512mb CF memory card.

I ordered it online at 3:30pm Friday, and it arrived Saturday morning!!!

All set up with no real problems - just follow all the onscreen instructions to the letter, and you can't go wrong!

It works perfectly and locked on to 7 satellites within a few seconds.

Here's the link:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=315

I'd definately recommend the product and the website to anyone. I am very impressed!

:D
johnny_bike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice hobbers,
Which receiver does it come with. Looking at the link it does not actually describe the GPS receiver.

I have bought from gps before and I have been pleased with them.

They seem to have a number of bundled packages, mostly using the hp2210 and TT3 but with a variety of gps recieveres

John
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you go to the link above, you can click on the option 'Whats in the box' and it lists everything for you.

In the main picture for the bundle, the receiver is that little silver diamond thing with the tail,

I actually went to the TomTom website though to see what is really in the box, what it looks like, etc.
www.tomtom.com

It works really well, and found 7 satellites within seconds. I chose that receiver over bluetooth as it is powered from the car. My concern with bluetooth was the battery lasts no more than 6 hours, and being in the car for more than that some days, plus overnight stays, etc, meant I'd be constantly charging it up, so was a bit pointless and likely to be a pain in the ass!

I'm really pleased with my choice, so far. The only issue I've had is that once you enter a programme on the PDA it actually stays open hidden in the background, and with a load of things all hiding it can slow TomTom down, however its easy to fix. Just remember to stop the programmes your not using (an option in the memory folder).

Hope this helps!
inspecta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
there are a couple of utilities that help you to close programs down:-

Battery Bar is one which I bought with my 'ipaq points' last year, but I've just downloaded a demo of Wizbar. This gives you a 'hot-spot' on the top menu bar which gives you a drop-down list of all your running programs. It also customises your menus etc.

Using something like this allows you to manage your memory useage better, so fewer lock-ups.

Hope this helps.

Inspecta.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe some posts have gone AWOL from this thread!
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: