Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - xl iq routes and TTS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

xl iq routes and TTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orgal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: xl iq routes and TTS Reply with quote

I have a TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition 340 - 2GB: 4EM0.001.01 with 64mb ram and no sd card, (It is the the non-TTS XL IQ Routes / 340 - 2GB version) so computer voices are dissabled.

Is it possible to get english Kate loquendo voice working on this to get spoken street names?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of (but happy to be proved wrong!)

AFAIK,the TTS version was never sold in the UK and even though they use the same software version as the TTS models, the system somehow "knows" its a UK model and doesn't allow TTS.

Even if it *is* possible to get it working did, you'd have to 'borrow' the TTS folder from another device as it isn't available to download. Strictly speaking, that would be a licence infringement too.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It WAS done, I had it on mine. I was emailed the relevant files, I had no idea how it was done. But it came to light that it was illegal pirate stuff, so I and others promptly dropped it. Its quite a while ago and I think TT also made a navcore change to stop it later.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
orgal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: xl iq routes and TTS Reply with quote

my mate has an xl2 iq routes edition and it comes with loquendo installed...strange
will maybe sell mine and get an iq routes 2 or a go model...thanks for info
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
It WAS done, I had it on mine. I was emailed the relevant files, I had no idea how it was done. But it came to light that it was illegal pirate stuff, so I and others promptly dropped it. Its quite a while ago and I think TT also made a navcore change to stop it later.

Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't feel embarassed - we did it in good faith and as soon as we discovered it was dodgy, we removed it. The latest backup I have with TTS was May 2010, after removal I had Navcore 8.419, Map v845.

orgal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might just sell then and go for a go model that supports loquendo...
my mate even got loquendo working on his one xl and it is only 32mb...cheers for info
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Well I don't feel embarassed - we did it in good faith and as soon as we discovered it was dodgy, we removed it. The latest backup I have with TTS was May 2010, after removal I had Navcore 8.419, Map v845.

I know I did it in good faith, not so much embarrassed as 'woops' when a few questions started getting asked about the legalities of the Loquendo licensing.

I don't know about you, but it didn't run brilliantly with TTS enabled on the XL LIVE, IIRC the processor speed was a bit on the slow side and it made the maps lag at complicated junctions with a lot of announcements happening.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orgal wrote:
might just sell then and go for a go model that supports loquendo...
my mate even got loquendo working on his one xl and it is only 32mb...cheers for info

It can be made to work on almost any model, but the lower spec devices don't have the RAM or processing power and they can run noticeably slower with TTS enabled.

And no, I am not going to divulge how it is done before anyone asks. Lets just say that TT would start to take an unhealthy interest if I did.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Andy, I agree - my XL performance deteriorated with TTS.

orgal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: tts Reply with quote

DennisN was this a 32mb one xl or the one that I have which is a 64mb xl iq routes edition...just thought seing as it has 64mb it would have run loquendo...cheers
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is now no legitimate way to install and enable this feature.

After a series of mistakes by TomTom that allowed owners to add and enable TTS, the Navcore was changed so that even if you have all the files or install them, it still won't work.

Due to a mistake by some brain dead jerk at TomTom, a complete set of Loquendo files were included with one of the computer voices.

A second error briefly enabled the computer voices option in Home (IIRC it happened if you had no UK voices installed), so it was possible that an owner could have legitimately (but not intentionally) installed TTS. The next update disabled TTS.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: tts Reply with quote

orgal wrote:
DennisN was this a 32mb one xl or the one that I have which is a 64mb xl iq routes edition...just thought seing as it has 64mb it would have run loquendo...cheers
Sorry, I don't know (I don't have it now). If memory serves me right, it was an odball device from Halfords with UK&ROI map, but enough memory to carry a Europe map (but I wonder if my memory serves me right!).

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: tts Reply with quote

I don't think there was ever a legitimate way, as it is hard coded in to the device if the TTS service and necessary library files are started/loaded at boot.

Even if you manually put all of the required files on there and had a TTS version of the Navcore it still wouldn't work as the TTS service wouldnt be started.

If you reverse engineer the bootloader code you can see how this works, and it is quite simple to get around, but then there is the issue of the Loquendo licensing............

Are you the same rwbaldwin from Briskoda - seems a bit of a coincidence if you aren't?
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: tts Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
I don't think there was ever a legitimate way, as it is hard coded in to the device if the TTS service and necessary library files are started/loaded at boot.

Even if you manually put all of the required files on there and had a TTS version of the Navcore it still wouldn't work as the TTS service wouldnt be started.

If you reverse engineer the bootloader code you can see how this works, and it is quite simple to get around, but then there is the issue of the Loquendo licensing............

Are you the same rwbaldwin from Briskoda - seems a bit of a coincidence if you aren't?

Hi Andy,

Yes, it's rwbaldwin from the Briskoda forum. Just using up the last of my annual leave. Back to work on Monday.

TTS wasn't always locked out in the Navcore. IIRC, they initially relied on the fact that the computer voice files did not contain all the Loquendo files. Given that you could (and still can) freely download the computer voices from the TomTom site, many owners didn't see a problem with installing the other Loquendo files. I can see why owners didn't see anything wrong, but of course it was still not legitimate.

However, a dumb error with the coding of TT Home enabled the Computer Voices button and one of the voice files included the complete Loquendo system. I would say this was legitimate. No one tried to beat the system. I'm sure most didn't realise it was an error. They accepted what they were offered and ended up with working TTS. A workmate of mine was in this situation. He called TomTom to complain only to be told that he shouldn't have had it in the first place. He was not pleased.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: