Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Loss of Live Services NE England
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Loss of Live Services NE England
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Loss of Live Services NE England Reply with quote

Apologies for sending this again, but I posted it in the wrong group originally.

I have lost connection to any/all of the live services facilities since Friday evening. My device works in every other way, and I get the rotating connection icon on the vertical grey bar on the right of my screen. I know we have had a lot of flooding in the area so it might be vodaphone connection rather than TomTom. I have not connected my device to my pc since Thursady for a PGPSW camera upload and the device worked after that anyway.

Anyone else in this region got the same problem?

I have tried the usual soft reset but to no avail.

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the LIVE Services page in the main menu and try a different service (such as "Weather") what error message and/or code number do you get (if any)?

I firmly believe this is at least partially down to nationwide reductions in the 2G service from the phone companies (which is what TomTom's LIVE services are using) in order to free up resources for 3G.

I get situations where one TomTom is showing an error message (Error 148) saying We are experiencing technical difficulties and can't connect to Live Services (implying it's their own servers?) while another TomTom on the same dashboard is connecting fine.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just considering posting a question about support for 2G devices [x40 and x50], how long will the Vodafone network continue to support this service? Its days must be numbered.

Edit: I assume MyTomtom devices use 3G?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If you go to the LIVE Services page in the main menu and try a different service (such as "Weather") what error message and/or code number do you get (if any)?

I firmly believe this is at least partially down to nationwide reductions in the 2G service from the phone companies (which is what TomTom's LIVE services are using) in order to free up resources for 3G.

I get situations where one TomTom is showing an error message (Error 148) saying We are experiencing technical difficulties and can't connect to Live Services (implying it's their own servers?) while another TomTom on the same dashboard is connecting fine.

Andy

All I get is the rotating icon indicating that it is trying to connect to the server. Occaisonaly I get a red screen with an erro message that states there is a server error, but no error code. on the map screen i get the same rotating icon down the right hand side of the scree and it stays there for hours. It doesn't even convert to a yellow triangle with the ! mark as it has in the past. I have a GPS signal and in the "Connections-Network" menu it eventually displays connected with 3 vertical blue bars showing. Thogh at other times it either states "Connected" of "Not Connected"

TT support have confirmed that there are customers with the same issue, but I'm struggling to understand why it's only some customers. Do different devices work in a different way when connecting to the TT server? My device is a 1005 live about 18months old and has shown no problems with the service since new. That is until last Friday.

Alan
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LIVE service seems a little flakey at the moment.

On Sunday 23rd of September we drove from Bristol to Canterbury and returned on Wednesday 26th September without any LIVE help whatsoever. All we had was a 'spinning disk' logo on the right of the screen whilst it was presumably trying to get some information.

What was really miffing was that it was all motorway and included several holdups on the M25 (no I wasn't surprised) on both journeys.

Barry
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Edit: I assume MyTomtom devices use 3G?

If you mean connectivity for LIVE services etc, then no. Tomtom devices only use 2G connections through Vodafone.

Steven

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
falkirk81 wrote:
Tomtom devices only use 2G connections through Vodafone.

So we are about to go the way of the USA? TT Discussions forum has a long running debate lamenting Live services and including several comments about 2G being discontinued. So the UK range has been reduced to cope with demand and if the connection is being reduced, the range and connectivity will inevitably degrade to useless!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy fix is to start incorporating 3G technology into newer units, this solves the problem overnight. But I expect that to increase costs :/

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Easy fix is to start incorporating 3G technology into newer units, this solves the problem overnight. But I expect that to increase costs :/

Right - introduce 3G technology just in time to greet the arrival of 4G, then reduce 3G coverage to enable 4G! Rolling Eyes

technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Vodaphone is not affected by this.

Only Orange and T-Mobile have confirmed that they have reduced their 2G frequencies, and that only affects frequency re-use, so should not have any effect on network capacity.

Reducing the number of frequencies could increase interference, but there is so far no evidence of this on the EE network where this has been implemented.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Only Orange and T-Mobile have confirmed that they have reduced their 2G frequencies,

Vodafone would probably like to re-farm some 2G frequencies for LTE, but their licence conditions prohibit this, so for the forseeable future, the 2G service used by Tomtom in the UK should remain fairly static.

Orange and TM have only been allowed to re-farm some frequencies because they pooled their allocations, so ended up with about twice as many 2G frequencies as they need to give the current level of service.

The situation in the US is quite different, not least because there are significantly fewer frequencies allocated at present.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
technik wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Only Orange and T-Mobile have confirmed that they have reduced their 2G frequencies,

Vodafone would probably like to re-farm some 2G frequencies for LTE, but their licence conditions prohibit this, so for the forseeable future, the 2G service used by Tomtom in the UK should remain fairly static.

Vodafone and 02 now have go ahead to network share, the same as Orange and T-Mobile already do.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/10/01/o2--vodafone-ready-to-take-on-ee-as-merger-is-approved/
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

OK, I bow to your superior knowledge. I guess I'll have to keep searching for a reason why the reception of 2G on my 940 is so bad.

technik wrote:
Vodafone and 02 now have go ahead to network share, the same as Orange and T-Mobile already do.

I'm on Orange, and for a short while my reception/coverage improved as I could access both carriers.

But I then heard that the whole thing was just a cost-saving exercise so they could shut down a load of overlapping transmitters, where both companies had a mast in the same area.

Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I do know my phone reception has got worse again, with dead spots even in London.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Between 7th and 21st September we toured - France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany, France, Belgium, France. Maybe it was because I selected Avoid Motorways, that I received absolutely no HD Traffic warnings at all, except one day when we were on the motorway heading north east to Vienna and it (fairly accurately) told me of a traffic jam around Vienna. But I really wasn't paying it any attention - we were out there to look at the countryside, not the traffic, so we were on country bumpkin roads.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was having a senior moment here. I SHOULD have added that in the course of driving across the Dolomites, I came across numerous roadworks of a serious nature - with traffic lights and obviously long term, none of which were on the HD Traffic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: