Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is this possible - just a fitted satnav and radio ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this possible - just a fitted satnav and radio ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBL47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Is this possible - just a fitted satnav and radio ? Reply with quote

I don't know if this is possible or not but here goes ...

Is is possible to get just a satnav unit that can be built-in to a D/D unit to replace the existing oem radio and somehow still keep a radio capability ?
My new(ish) car has a dashtop radio in a changeable surround, the top market model has a full entertainment system here.
I do not want an entertainment system, no dvd player or cd required, I would just like to have a fitted satnav (do not like things stuck on the windscreen) and still have a radio to listen to, both in the same unit. Does such a thing exist ?
Hope this makes sense.
Cheers
Brian.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Is this possible - just a fitted satnav and radio ? Reply with quote

JBL47 wrote:
Is is possible to get just a satnav unit that can be built-in to a D/D unit to replace the existing oem radio and somehow still keep a radio capability ?
Yes.

JBL47 wrote:
I do not want an entertainment system, no dvd player or cd required, I would just like to have a fitted satnav (do not like things stuck on the windscreen) and still have a radio to listen to, both in the same unit. Does such a thing exist ?
Not so sure about that, many of these units use DVD drives to load new maps, so the capability to play CD/DVD tends to be standard.

I haven't used any of the units, but recomendations would be based on whether you have a single or double DIN unit, and what functions you require, e.g. ability to load custom POIs, e.g. speed cameras, and whether you want audible warnings.

Double DIN unit built into dash.

Single DIN unit where the screen slides out from the unit and tilts.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
JBL47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super answer, thanks. It tells me exactly what I didn't know and really helps.
Incar technology is just not me Embarassed

Cheers
Brian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at something like This it's probably cheaper than you were thinking about and to be honest they work reasonably well, I have had one in my Volvo for over three years with no issues.

GPS software is generally either iGO, Sygic or Route 66 but if supplied with the unit it will be a hacked copy so budget for a proper licensed version over and above the cost of the unit. Any GPS software you install to it must be capable of running from just the SD card - Mike
JBL47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that is certainly something to give serious thought to.
Might I plague you with questions ?
Did you buy the unit direct from Chinavision ?
Was the audio direction on the satnav clear and gave good warning of required turns etc ? ( wife depends on audio direction more than visual).
Would it be possible to download the Camera database onto this unit ?
Your comments on the sd card leave me puzzled. How would I go about keeping the maps uptodate and what license do you mean ? (my old Garmin had a code when I bought it, is this it ?)
Would any SD card fit such a unit ?
Sorry about all the questions but my knowledge in this area is virtually nil and hence the reliance on good advice from forums like this.
Cheers and thanks

Brian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBL47 wrote:
Did you buy the unit direct from Chinavision ?

Yes, although I used their E-Bay shop.

JBL47 wrote:
Was the audio direction on the satnav clear and gave good warning of required turns etc ?

It's fine with the audio going through all the cars speaker system, timing issues will be more down to the actual software in use rather than the device, I find Sygic more than good enough on the China unit.

JBL47 wrote:
Would it be possible to download the Camera database onto this unit ?

Again depends upon the software installed for the GPS navigation, Sygic, Route 66 or iGo will all support the use of third party speed camera files.

JBL47 wrote:
Your comments on the sd card leave me puzzled. How would I go about keeping the maps uptodate and what license do you mean ? (my old Garmin had a code when I bought it, is this it ?)

When you purchase the unit it comes "GPS enabled" it might not have any navigation software pre-installed, if does have it will probably be hacked software.

JBL47 wrote:
Would any SD card fit such a unit ?

SD up to 2GB in capacity unless it states SDHC compliant in which case it will work with cards up to and including 32GB in capacity - Mike
JBL47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike for the patience and complete answers.

Cheers
Brian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decidde to buy one, do please keep us up to date with how you get on Smile
JBL47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If you decidde to buy one, do please keep us up to date with how you get on Smile

Will do.
Seriously thinking about one of these but now have a couple more questions after reading the Chinavasion page on them.
1. The GPS antenna is mentioned, is this the only way for the unit to get a GPS signal ? Don't really fancy an antenna stuck to the roof and cable coming in through the window.
2 SD enabled and Garmin might not work with it so what would be a legitimate alternative SD card ?

Thanks
Brian
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBL47 wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Will do.
Seriously thinking about one of these but now have a couple more questions after reading the Chinavasion page on them.
1. The GPS antenna is mentioned, is this the only way for the unit to get a GPS signal ? Don't really fancy an antenna stuck to the roof and cable coming in through the window.
2 SD enabled and Garmin might not work with it so what would be a legitimate alternative SD card ?

Thanks
Brian

With regards point 1.

The GPS antenna doesn't need to be on the roof (although this is the ideal place) anywhere where there is a reasonable wide, clear view of the sky (not thru metal) can be used.

When I was using GPS enabled data loggers I stuck them on my dashboard without a problem and they even kept position logging when I forgot to turn them off and put them in the glovebox
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBL47 wrote:

The GPS aerial for my unit is magnetic so I stuck it to some steel work under the dash on the passenger side of the car, no issue with reception at all.

JBL47 wrote:

I know TomTom Navigator doesn't work with the Chinese units as there isn't enough memory to run the application, never tried the Garmin software, Sygic runs OK as does Co-Pilot, the software you use needs to be for the PDA hardware - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: