Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A few questions about TOM TOM 9100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions about TOM TOM 9100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
da_melonuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: A few questions about TOM TOM 9100 Reply with quote

Hi,
We have just received our new TOM TOM 9100 device that our work has decided that they want using in our cars to record business/private milage and also were we are during the day using the tracking function of the unit.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone will be able to answer

1) Will the unit interfere with my inbuilt Satnav unit in the car which is
Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer ?

2) I don't need the TOM TOM unit to be on display or use it as satnav.
I only need to use it to track milage, so I was thinking about
mounting it in the boot of the car using the power socket thats
in there already and then hide it away, but will it still pick up a GPS
signal from inside the boot ?

3) If the unit is mounted in the boot and has problems finding a GPS
signal then can I use a after market GPS signal booster that the
TomTom will find and use that to record my milages and location for
them at work ? I've seen a guy use one on a Range Rover Evoque to
get a signal through his special front window that they install in that car

4) Will the TOMTOM unit actually pick up it's own GPS signal or will it latch
onto the inbuilt Vauxhall one that is somewhere in the car ?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my questions,
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a short answer paper?
1) No.
2) Probably not.
3) Yes, a GPS repeater I think they call them, but I don't think they are exactly legal in UK, but what's the chances of getting caught?
4) Yes to the first bit, but see answer 3. No to the second bit. The GPS picks up its signals from satellites, not other GPS receivers.
da_melonuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, this is the GPS Signal Booster that I've seen used by someone else on there car

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/330692499536?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

My idea is to place the signal unit on the dashboard or in the rear 3/4 window, so it gets the GPS Signal through the window and then the aerial section at the end will be placed just inside the boot next to the TOMTOM PRO9100 unit, this then should let the unit track the car and it's mileage but keep my dash board free from having a Sat Nav attached to the windscreen and making it a target for scum to break into it.

Am I correct in thinking this will work, or am I barking up the wrong tree as the saying goes ?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that it would work, but why don't you just try the TT in the boot near the back seat, it may just work without the booster, but I doubt it. No doubt someone more knowledgeable than I will be along in a while and give you a more informed reply?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, I think that will work OK. Obviously you'll need a two-way power splitter in order to feed the antennae and the TomTom itself from the cigar socket in the boot.

Another thing you might need to think about is what happens when you turn the engine off.
1. does the cigar socket in the boot turn off or stay powered?
2. Does that model of TomTom automatically turn on and off when external power is applied or removed.

AS far as I know the Go9100 is based on the same hardware as the normal Go1000 and that DOES turn on and off with the ignition, but TT keep messing about with that feature in software, so you'd be best to check it does what you want.
da_melonuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The socket in the boot only comes on when the key in placed in the ignition and turned part way round, just before the final turn to start the engine.

I don't need the TomTom unit to be left switched on when I'm not in the car, although I think they have a 2 hour battery life, it's just needs to be on when the car is moving to record mileages for work purposes.

Once I get the unit end of the week, I'll spend the weekend messing with it and see what happens. Slighty annoying having to go to all this trouble just because the company you work for wants to screw every last penny out of us for private mileage when not at work and to keep tabs on hundreds of employee's at work.

I think they have ordered some where in the region of 300 - 400 TomTom PR0 9100 from TomTom, bet they think it's christmas in that office
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

da_melonuk wrote:
I don't need the TomTom unit to be left switched on when I'm not in the car, although I think they have a 2 hour battery life, it's just needs to be on when the car is moving to record mileages for work purposes.
I think what Andy was hintig at is that some TTs do not switch off when you kill the extenal powe, thus remain on and drain the internal battery flat, and then don't come on automatically when you re-apply the external supply. Unless you can get one that reliably does switch on and off with the external power, you will have to be poking around in the boot every time you start or stop. As a possible alternative, I have heard reports that they work OK in glove compartments (without a 'repeater') so that would be a much cheaper option if you can couple in the TTs car power suppy and hide the cable in the dash.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
da_melonuk wrote:
I think what Andy was hintig at is that some TTs do not switch off when you kill the extenal powe, thus remain on and drain the internal battery flat, and then don't come on automatically when you re-apply the external supply

You will probably find that the power to your accessory socket is interrupted while the engine is cranking. The Tomtom auto-power-on does not like this and unless you turn the ignition on and wait for the Tomtom to start booting before you start the engine, the the Tomtom will sometimes just remain switched off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: