Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Itineraries Facility?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Itineraries Facility?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: TomTom - Itineraries Facility? Reply with quote

Do current TomTom devices have itinerary planning (the ability to plan routes with multiple waypoints) ?
I though id seen some comments that this facility was missing on some.
My current unit does, Go920, but I'm looking. for a larger screen..

Just to clarify what i'm after....
In intieraries I currently select a start and endpoint and let the device create the route. After assesing the route I then pick several 'waypoints' allong the route (or sometimes away from the offered route) and get it to recalculate. The waypoints can then be used as temporary 'destinations'. This is particulary useful on longer european journeys.
SatMap
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT buy the latest range of TomTom units.

These do not use the same method of creating and using itinerary planning.

The new GO 1000 etc range of models only allow something like 4 way points maximum. The process of creating these is limited to within the actual device.

The older range, such as my GO540 allows the uploading of .itn files through browsing the device within MS Windows.

I create these using Tyre or even exporting from Google Maps as .KML file and then converting this.

Of course, you still have the option of creating and editing 'on-the-fly' within your device too.

As for a larger screen type. I am unsure of the older range that have a 5" screen or bigger. I know it sounds obvious but XXL range should be the ones. Just be careful it's not a newer one.

Try TomTom outlet store for refurbed models. Usually as new factory condition and pretty good prices.

I'm sure Dennis or AndyP can offer guidance of the older range. (I'm not saying they're old, just wise!) Laughing Out Loud

Good hunting Fraser!
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avdl1999
Thanks for the info. I'm happy to use the device to make the itineries but having just 4 waypoints may be restrictive.

Here's an example of a recent route.
Calais - Flachau (Austria)
There were 4 waypoints between Calais and Munich (the overnight stopover). One was a key fuel stop the other three route changes that avoided known bottlenecks.

There was also different route (itinerary) on the way back. I do find this facility very usefull.

I have just checked my current device and I have over 40 routes that I've used. Some house keeping necessary I think!
SatMap
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it used to be worse than 4 waypoints before an update. One only I think it was, useless!!

TT have been 'promising' updates for ages, including the full itinerary option on the new Navcore 3 devices.

However, I'm sure it will never be the same because the newer devices do not allow you to browse the file structure of the device. Which is also important for crucial backing up purposes.

TT did a cock up recently within the advertising blurb for the new Caravan model, stating that full Itinerary planning was on it. Uh, no it's not!

They pulled that ad and amended it. Arse and elbow come to mind! All in all, a load of old boswellox!
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the new Start 60?
Its available from retailers but it's not mentioned on the TT web site.
SatMap
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:

If you search for posts from forum member "xtraseller" I think that I remember a recent post where he quite favoured the Start 60, not sure that it has the itinerary features that you require though. I'd second avdl1999's suggestion and buy an old style refurb from TomTom's outlet shop.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, my GO540 was a refurb model from an ebay seller in the UK.

Came with 6 months live services and was immaculate (like new!) It's still going strong and of the three devices I tried, it seems the most reliable (so far!)

I've since renewed the Live services, although the traffic thing is hit n miss (only England traffic updates, not Wales or Scotland!)

The Google search is excellent and has helped on numerous occasions.

Enjoy your shopping FraserP Smile
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Fraserp wrote:

If you search for posts from forum member "xtraseller" I think that I remember a recent post where he quite favoured the Start 60, not sure that it has the itinerary features that you require though. I'd second avdl1999's suggestion and buy an old style refurb from TomTom's outlet shop.

The destination + 3 waypoints remains a limiting feature on the Start 60 for some

It is easy to route plan using the system, easy to move positions of waypoints, and for many 3 + destination will be fine - if it isn't for you, then stick with an older version

However, if this works for you, then the Start 60 is a superb unit, with excellent screen (even during all this sunshine!) - I prefer it to my TT Go 1000 Live (any all the other units I have), Even got used to the built in mount now too!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: