Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Custom warnings TomTom 825
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom warnings TomTom 825

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Custom warnings TomTom 825 Reply with quote

Hi
I have just purchased a new Tom Tom live 825 which comes complete with 12 month live service support. The camera warnings are all availabe live but are triggered off by annoying bells and horns. On my previous model I was able to type in my own message but this facility does not seem to be available on this model.
Is there any software available that will allow me to type in my own warnings i.e safety camera 500 yards ?

Admin Edit: Title edited to something a bit more descriptive. PaulB2005
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question: are you referring to
1. the built-in camera warnings from TomTom themselves, or
2. to a third-party speed cam database such as the one from this site?

If #1, then I believe you can only choose a warning from the sound effect page.
You CAN add your own sounds (including recorded voice warnings) to that page, but it's of limited value because the cameras are only split into camera TYPES not SPEEDS, so you can't have the voice announcing the speed limit s you approach the camera.

I don't think you have EVER been able to type in spoken warnings for the speed cameras only for other POIs (see below)

If #2, )I.e. you are using a third-party database) then you have options....

1. If your model has "Computer" (text to speech) voices, then you can type in anything you want for the TTS engine to say when you approach a camera POI.

2. Whether it has TTS or not, you can add voice warning files to announce camera type AND speed.
If you use the camera database from here, you can opt to download a set of voice files at the same time as the main database.
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy
thanks for the reply.
Just to qualify the 825 has live services " free " for 1 year so I thought I would try it out.
It has all the cameras separate an you can allocated a sound to each one but its awful. On my old 740 I used the Pocket GPS download for the cameras and I am not sure if it originally came with the added bonus of the ability to type in your own message say "safety camera 500 years" or whether this was part of the Pocket GPS download. It would not surprise me if its something that's been left off to save money. However what I would like to know if there is any software available which would allow me to type in the message and this is read by the tom tom voice when near the hazard instead of bells and cows mooing!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmartins wrote:
if there is any software available which would allow me to type in the message and this is read by the tom tom voice
I would strongly suspect that the direct answer to your question is 'NO'. TT buttoned up things a while ago to stop you adding such stuff.

Now, as your second post is pretty much a word for word repeat of your first, with only a little more information but answers none of the questions that Andy_P asked in his post, it is likely to be difficult to progress your 'problem' further unless you answer questions asked. Confused

BTW. Some TomToms CAN read out spoken wernings (they are provided in the download from here) Very Happy Very Happy
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"First question: are you referring to
1. the built-in camera warnings from TomTom themselves, or
2. to a third-party speed cam database such as the one from this site?"
Sorry not trying to be evasive thought a bit more flesh on the bones would help

Yes I am using the Tom Tom built in warnings and as I said it has 2 "pages" of useless sounds.
I seem to remember the previous model had the option "add your own message" and this is what I was unsure if it was part of the GPS camera base or came with the tom tom.
As yet I am not intending to use the GPS info despite the fact I have for years. I want see how good the Live service is before I go down this route.
lets hope some clever person can point me in the right direction
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we know know definitely which cam database you are trying to use.
Andy_P wrote:
If #1, then I believe you can only choose a warning from the sound effect page.
unless someone knows different.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmartins wrote:
As yet I am not intending to use the GPS info despite the fact I have for years. I want see how good the Live service is before I go down this route.
lets hope some clever person can point me in the right direction

Firstly, on my GO550 Live camera sounds I have three or four pages, the last two sounds being Restaurant and Ringtone. Restaurant sounds like someone trying to eat a crisp lettuce.

But no option to have anything other than one of the 60 or 70 or so various bings, bongs and beeps provided. The options to have other methods of warning are no longer available.

And how good is the Live service for cameras? Well, if you choose to ignore the difference between the pgpsw database and the TomTom one, which would be a mistake as the TT one is just pretty poor, then consider the worth of them.

You can select different sounds for different camera types - e.g. you might like....
bing for Fixed cameras,
bong for mobiles,
bang for red light,
ting for miscellaneous,
tang for mobile hotspots,
tong for average speed checks,
oops for toll road speed cameras,
wow for restricted road speed cameras,
moo for bidirectional speed cameras,
woof for accident blackspots and
bugle for ungated railway crossings.

I have. The only trouble is, I can't remember which is for which, so ding, ding, ding leaves me wondering what the difference is from bi bip. It might help if the displayed icon looked like something other than a chinese restaurant sign and it would help even more if it displayed the speed of the particular camera. But there you go, that's the TomTom offering.

But if you have a pgpsw subscription, you'd be mad not to use it. I have the TomTom cameras on my 550 Live because they are there and just to smile at occasionally, when compared with the pgpsw database running alongside on another device. But at the very least, the repetitive warnings in average speed zones which are no longer there really are beginning to get me annoyed.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to go back to the system I am familiar with i.e the GPS download however Tom Tom have made it difficult as the PC cannot see the Tom Tom.
With the new "live" application it sees the Tom Tom as soon as its plugged in to the USB and updates it but does not allow you to "see" the hard drive.
Is there a driver that is available which will allow the computer to "see" the Tom Tom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to use the MyTomTom app, instructions are on our download page. You need the GO 1000, NAV 3 and variants:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras#compat
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Darren
I can see how its done now. looks relatively easy once you know!
It had me beat as previously I could see the hard drive and just drag the files over.
Is updating going to be the same each time with it auto overwriting of the "old" settings
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: