Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the Honda DVD sat nav any good?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Honda DVD sat nav any good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda SatNav has a bug........

This has been confirmed by many users on the Civinfo site as we all have the same problem.

It calculates 5 different typres of route:

Fastest
Shortest
Minimise Motorways
Avoid Tolls
(I've forgotten the fifth)

anyway - in 99% of occasions the 'shortest' route is identical to the fastest route and therefore not always the shortest route.

Example - Shortest Route selected - West London to Malvern is calculated as 117 miles, which I can do in 104 miles.
It takes me up the M40, so far so good, then it tries to take me up the M40 beyond J8 (not good).
As soon as I turn off the M40 at this point it recalculates and the correct shortest route is now displayed (well almost).
There are a few more roads it gets wrong which the TomTom used to get right.

The good points are the absence of wires and having to set it up, the TMC facility and the voice recognition.
The bad points are the routing, inability to install camera databases and the lack of a 3D option.

Coming out of central London the other week it tried to get me to turn off the A4 at the Talgarth roundabout and double back through Chiswick instead of just carrying on along the M4 - very bizzare !
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jonez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I've just brought a Accord Exec 06 model and i'm finding the routing to be pretty bad as well, my disk version is 3.01 and I believe the latest one is 3.23 (those are the ones selling on e-bay), one of the main reasons I chose the exec spec was for the sat nav but now i'm pretty disappointed, I was wondering if you fellow Accord owners have found the routing to be better once you update the DVD?

Another bad thing is that whenever a TMC event pops up like queueing traffic it does not show an estimated delay, so if you calculate alternative it may take even longer to get to your destination Sad
PEL020
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Accord GT Sport last September with Sat Nav & Bluetooth fitted as standard. Initial impressions was reasonably good, large display, clear voice through the car speakers, TMS giving plenty of warning of hold-ups, etc.

It wasn't long before I found that the mapping was at least 2 years out of date, it only provides a 'fast route' and not the fastest route, has trouble finding and using minor roads and the TMS insists on taking you miles out of your way to avoid potential hold-ups - even locally to my home! Having said that I do like the convenience of a built-in unit meaning not having to hide away windscreen mounts and clean windscreens before getting out of the car.

I've also found that the POI's provided are as old as the maps, especially hotel names. I also miss the speed camera database which is on my TT One which I used with my old Mazda 6. I still keep it updated for use when I need to hire a car after flying up to Aberdeen from London.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda have released a newer DVD. For the Civic this has risen from 3.06 to 3.23

The routing is considerably better and the POI's have had a make over.

If the Accord uses the same version then DO NOT get the 3.22 version because it has a firmware bug. Ebay seems to have loads of 3.22's for sale as a result.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Wiseguise
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 2007 CRV EX. The SAT NAV is total rubbish.

Honda have replaced the Alpine Head unit once, and upgraded to latest revision DVD, however, this hasn't resolved things.

Many POI's are inaccurate (including some of Honda's own pre-loaded dealer locations)

Routing is a joke, and sometime shortest calculated return route is many miles longer than identical outgoing route.

I've got a really comical picture of just how bad it is, but having not posted here before am not sure how to post. If someone would like to let me know how to do this then I will get it up here for all the world to see.

Bet Honda still can't offer a reasonable explanation though.

Save yourself the money and aggro!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest 3.23 DVD is a lot better than the previous 3.05

Not perfect but does the job and you don't have to construct a rabbit snare out of the wires to use it each day.

At least the TMC works as it should Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
alanwalne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
The latest 3.23 DVD is a lot better than the previous 3.05

Not perfect but does the job and you don't have to construct a rabbit snare out of the wires to use it each day.

At least the TMC works as it should Very Happy

In retrospect, I am glad I have my SE spec stereo and TT 520T, I have managed to hide most of my TMC wiring round the windscreen pilllar and I have a 2nd power point mounted by the fuse box so I can run the power wire between the dashboard and the door rubber.

Not being able to update POIs would drive me nuts (and risk my licence)!!!

I have a TT bluetooth remote control in the centre cupholders so I am not having to stretch to the screen when I need to use it.

Perhaps the ideal solution would be an integrated brodit type mount so you could have the upgradability of a TT system without the dangling wires. my2011 Civic perhaps??
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem with the latest Civic, the windscreen is so heavily raked that wherever you put a windscreen mount it would be impossible to control by touch.

Yes the built in unit has it's limitations and the routeing engine is not as good as TT but it's there, ready, when you turn on the ignition.

and - the TMC works as it should Very Happy

I'm still waiting for my Talex subs to expire (currently into month 20 of my 12 month subscription!), then I'm going to get a bog standard TT1v4 purely to use as a SCD.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
katherinel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, looks great! A lot of great thoughts!

K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops Posted twice Embarassed Embarassed
Kev.

Last edited by K13ehr on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Honda Sat Nav DVD APN2-34102, VER 2.05, and I'm thinking of upgrading to ver 2.10, (the 2011 update) does anyone have any views on if it's worth the £40.

The existing DVD is very scratched but seems to work OK, car is 04 accord which I've just bought so not had much chance to use the existing disc, just a quick play to see if it worked.

If you happen to have a Honda Sat Nav DVD APN2-34102, VER 2.10, you no longer need I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a reasonable amount, just message me.

Kev.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume I just swore or something equally nasty Wink Wink

Either that or no one has one.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£40 isn't a bad price although it is unlikely to be genuine. I guess you are looking at http://www.satnav-updates.com

They seem to guarantee them.

Whatever you buy just make sure it is a version 2 disk.

I used to have a 2007 CRV (version 3) and sold my 2009 Disk to a Version 2 user who couldn't read my posting correctly on ebay and it did not work.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

st1967 wrote:
£40 isn't a bad price although it is unlikely to be genuine. I guess you are looking at http://www.satnav-updates.com

They seem to guarantee them.

Whatever you buy just make sure it is a version 2 disk.

I used to have a 2007 CRV (version 3) and sold my 2009 Disk to a Version 2 user who couldn't read my posting correctly on ebay and it did not work.

I was looking at this site, I might be wrong but it looks like genuine discs, but these days even the crooks look professional to me.
dalek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: New Honda Civic EX (2012) sat nav Reply with quote

I am looking at getting the new 2012 Honda Civic (EX and EX GT). They both have a HDD Navigation system. I have spent some time looking for information on the system and it's abilities. Even Honda UK said I should just go to a shop/garage and ask staff there to let me read the manual. I had asked for an electronic (PDF) version of either the Car and the Navigation system. It has DVD video printed on the display.
Is this the right place to ask this question or shall I start a new thread? I did search for Honda civic 2012 HDD navigation and new etc etc. but no luck. Maybe the admin can move this to a new thread as it's a new car/model and a new navigation system.
I wanted to know if it voice controlled, can I import POI's, my POI's working with media files and USB etc etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: