Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Error 1008 when using LIVE services after updating software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Error 1008 when using LIVE services after updating software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickj2903
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilH1000 wrote:
Thanks Rick. I shall be writing to them tomorrow. Let's see if they reply!

I have just emailed my complaint/concerns to Mr Goddijn directly. I don't suppose it will actually get to him, but I guess if TT get enough emails they might actually respond to users somehow.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
........ If that is the case the obvious solution is the replace the faulty SIMs.
But as Sim replacement is not a task that most end users could perform it would result in a mass CallBack to TT. Think of the costs and logistics that would involve! Do you think TT could handle it?

To me, the obvious is to fully BetaTest a NAvCore before release, something it seems that TT are incapable of doing,

Failing that, Get an old NavCore off of their shelves, one which performed reasonably well across the devices (8.351 springs to mind), dust it off, re-name it to 9.410. Acknowledge that some customers are experiencing problems with the latest update and that a "TemporaryFix" is to download this "new" NavCore while they work on a permanent solution.
Cheap,
Quick,
Easy,
Proactive.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Rickj2903
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

Get an old NavCore off of their shelves, one which performed reasonably well across the devices (8.351 springs to mind), dust it off, re-name it to 9.410. Acknowledge that some customers are experiencing problems with the latest update and that a "QuickFix" is to download this "new" NavCore while they work on a permanent solution.
Cheap,
Quick,
Easy,
Proactive.

Sounds like a plan to me.

That and reinstate the option to "deselect" downloads until you want to download them.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't do that.
They will forget about us AGAIN and bring out a new model.
Thats what they normally do.
PhilH1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written to all the TomTom execs listed above this evening. Let's see if they reply. If they don't then my TomTom is heading for the bin, the subscriptions will be cancelled and I'll move my business elsewhere. The customer always has a choice!
rbecking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was hoping we would have an updated navcore over the weekend, but not Sad How much longer are we going to have to wait.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this is more about the incompetence of the company rather than the issue itself - it raises serious issues of confidence in their ability to survive as a company with such continually poor handling of their customer base. I am pretty chuffed to get any kind of update for my 540 bearing in mind it's age and TT should get kudos for supporting devices for this amount of time . Sadly they then completely ruin this for themselves by behaving in such a laughable way when it is proven to be broken (and of course doing this for the 2nd time). I won't be ditching mine, but I will seriously consider other brands next time.
PhilH1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my letter (email) to the TT top brass has been handed down quickly to a TT Customer Services Manager who at least appears coherent. I have received 2 missed calls today, a phone message and an email from TT. All very apologetic but nothing more to report.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has 9,401 been released today which will resolve the 1008 error in the UK on the x40 models? - Mike
Rickj2903
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Has 9,401 been released today which will resolve the 1008 error in the UK on the x40 models? - Mike

Yes but still displays the same slow connection time to Live services for me as 9.058 did. Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow connection to the Live service is a different issue to the Error 1008 we were seeing with Navcore 9,401, might be time to raise another support call with TomTom as they won't be interested in 1008 error codes now thats been fixed as far as they are concerned.

For what it's worth I fully agree the connection time with 9,401 takes longer than it should do - Mike
Rickj2903
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
might be time to raise another support call with TomTom as they won't be interested in 1008 error codes now thats been fixed as far as they are concerned.

For what it's worth I fully agree the connection time with 9,401 takes longer than it should do - Mike

Thanks Mike, yep I have already emailed my frustrations to them, it's in excess of 16 months now that I have been putting up with slow connection times or reverting back to 8.371 to workaround it. Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest there is far more wrong with 9,401 than just a slow Live connection to the server, try the following:

Volume when using mp3 player via Bluetooth is useless, far too unbalanced levels between music vs nav instructions.

Poor rendition on screen of custom POI icons.

Removal of auto on feature.

Removal of Buddies feature.

Removal of ability to share files (POI) between devices using Bluetooth.

No way to stop the flashing red "Over Speed" part of the screen, very annoying in the dark especially when you are at the speed limit but the latest map contains the wrong speed data for the road you are on.

Being forced to agree to terms and conditions that have changed since the device was purchased, if you don't agree then ALL Live services are terminated with no return of subscription charge.

There are probably more issues but these spring to mind straight away - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those problems were is 9.400, Mike. The new app 9.401 was only to rectify the sim card issue.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
To be honest there is far more wrong with 9,401 than just a slow Live connection to the server, try the following:

Volume when using mp3 player via Bluetooth is useless, far too unbalanced levels between music vs nav instructions.

Poor rendition on screen of custom POI icons.

Removal of auto on feature.

Removal of Buddies feature.

Removal of ability to share files (POI) between devices using Bluetooth.

No way to stop the flashing red "Over Speed" part of the screen, very annoying in the dark especially when you are at the speed limit but the latest map contains the wrong speed data for the road you are on.

Being forced to agree to terms and conditions that have changed since the device was purchased, if you don't agree then ALL Live services are terminated with no return of subscription charge.

There are probably more issues but these spring to mind straight away - Mike

..... and a poor HD Traffic range Laughing Out Loud

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: