Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Error 1008 when using LIVE services after updating software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Error 1008 when using LIVE services after updating software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickj2903
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Sorry, I can't say

No worries, thanks anyway.
PhilH1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
After all, you'd be the first to complain if they put it out before it was ready.

Exactly. I'd rather they hadn't put the latest software out before it was ready.

Last time TT messed up in a similar way I saw the postings of the unfortunate and refused the 'upgrade'. This time I am one of the unfortunates who now has to drive a 90 mile daily route with common traffic problems with no idea when TT is going to resolve the situation. I only use the TT for traffic updates 90% of the time not for routes. So if I'm stuck in a 3 hour queue tomorrow I'll just call TT and tell them you think I am being unfair shall I?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what do you want me to say?

I've already said they didn't test the previous version fully enough for that specific issue, but they ARE producing a fix for it and they ARE testing it now, so surely you want this one to be tested properly? Or don't you?

And did you make a backup before you updated as we always say you should? If you did, then just restore it and you are back with a working system. If you didn't.... Rolling Eyes
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking about "refusing the upgrade" on my device Tom Tom Home the upgrade was ticked and could not be "un-ticked" if you hadn't done that you would not have been able to do the other upgrades. Sad

On another point about "roll-back"
I to prior to doing anything major backed up my device using THome.. Crying or Very sad

Would it work if I restored previous version.?
or
Would the application have been "thrown out"?
or

Shall I wait for the new download..? Very Happy

Maurice
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here about a fix for getting the application to 'unstick':
http://www.tomtomforums.com/t25167-cannot-de-select-application-update.html
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most relevant post numbers there are 8, 14 and 22
PhilH1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P

I do have a back up but when I asked TT if I could restore and resolve the matter they said not. Either that or their customer support is incoherent and I have misunderstood? See below for my question and their response. Welcome your views.

My request:

Dear XXXX

Firstly, I cannot now use my live services that I pay for on a time basis. Please advise the level of compensation I will receive for this situation caused soley by TT.

Secondly, is it possible to revert back to an earlier software version using the restore function?

I look forward to hearing from you.

TT Response:

I understand that you want the application version previous to the 9.400 version downloaded on your device.

I would like to inform you that the problem occurring is through the server end therefore our technical team is working diligently to resolve the issue and provide a suitable resolution However this being a technical issue, a specific time frame can not be given.

I am keeping your case on research status in my files until I hear that the patch has been deployed and once this issue gets resolved we will reassign the Live Services for the period you were unable to use and will let you know as soon as that occurs.

I am extremely sorry to tell you that once an application version gets updated on the device then the older version cannot be installed on to the device. I assure that we are currently working very hard to resolve this issue and it will be resolved in a near application release.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard.

Please let me know if you have any more queries and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for your valuable time and giving me an opportunity to assist you.

Have a nice day.
With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team

End.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me laugh - I just got an email from TT inviting me to get a complimentary update for my 540 - how can they be stupid enough to actively promote this while it is so broken.
PhilH1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillevy wrote:
Makes me laugh - I just got an email from TT inviting me to get a complimentary update for my 540 - how can they be stupid enough to actively promote this while it is so broken.

I've had a look at the link above suggesting a solution and it looks like I've got to invest several hours this weekend working out how to circumvent this mess. And as far as I can tell the best recommendation is to change your settings to that TT can't update you in future! I certainly can’t rely on TT getting me functional again anytime soon or they would be able to give me an estimate. As you say, it's a joke, and at my expense!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is quite simple - restore from your last backup. To make it even easier, have two SD cards, and then copy from the active one to the secondary one (I copy to hard disk first), and then update the secondary one. If all is well, swap them round so you put the secondary in the TomTom. If it fails, put the active one back and carry on as usual until it is fixed. This is what I've done.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
The solution is quite simple - restore from your last backup. To make it even easier, have two SD cards, and then copy from the active one to the secondary one (I copy to hard disk first), and then update the secondary one. If all is well, swap them round so you put the secondary in the TomTom. If it fails, put the active one back and carry on as usual until it is fixed. This is what I've done.

I wouldn't say it's quite as simple as you say when having restored your Navicore, you then have to tinker with the desktop app delving into more forum threads to allow you to update anything else - not simple at all IMO.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd not update again until it was fixed. But from what others have said, if you want the other updates but not the firmware, you can copy the map folder from one SD card to your active one.

It is of course bad for anyone to have to consider this - shame on TomTom - but imagine if you couldn't make such backups.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Well, I'd not update again until it was fixed. But from what others have said, if you want the other updates but not the firmware, you can copy the map folder from one SD card to your active one.

It is of course bad for anyone to have to consider this - shame on TomTom - but imagine if you couldn't make such backups.

Not possible as I dont believe the 540 has an sd slot - would be happy to wait a while, but it is even more irritating I'm losing the benefit of the map update service as well as live.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x40 and x50 models have a MicroSDHC card slot capable of working with a card capacity of up to (and including) 32GB.

The easy way to roll the device back to the previous Navcore version is to download it directly from the server at TomTom without using the Home software then use WinRar to install it to the device.

Once this has been carried out simply don't connect the device to TomTom Home until you get word of a new Navcore release that fixes the issue with the 1008 error.

Due to the number of different devices affected by this cock-up it would take some considerable time to dig out all the direct links to the downloads from the server at TomTom but if anyone wants to do this post up the model number as a few of us on this forum know the URL required but this is on a device by device basis, load the wrong Navcore to your unit and it could cause more trouble than it's worth, I am sure the repair and official release to overcome the Sim 1008 error won't be long.

What I find incredible is that this has been allowed to occur for a second time, 9.054 messed up a number of units in the same way so a couple of weeks later 9,058 was released, 9,40 goes out and here we are again.

The 9,4X Navcore requires the user to agree to a change to the terms and conditions pertaining to supplying data back to TomTom, to be honest I wouldn't bother with 9,4X due in part to this reason but in the case of a 940 Live it breaks more than it fixes, my 940 is still a better device running the original Navcore supplied when the product hit the shops - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonTom are SOMETIMES right when they say it's a one way process.

I swapped my go 940 back and forth OK with v9.058, and I WAS running my Go950 on that too, but I foolishly updated to v9.061 quite recently, and that involves a bootloader update, which means I could go back to 9.061 again, but NOT to 9.058.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: