Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 update "all in one go"?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 update "all in one go"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Your Embarassed was not understood Embarassed Embarassed

And yes I agree you always used to be able to use unzipped files, and I could not see the relevance. In hindsight I suspect "unzipped" was meant to be "zipped" in the post. As I understand it you can now send zipped files (.zip) direct. Maybe playswell is saying you can also send "rared" ones (.rar) as well.

Yes as I use winrar when I download the camera files from here, they then are a RAR file. I open and delete the read me and all other text files. I close winrar and then point my 1005 to the full still zipped RAR file and it unzips it job done
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
What if you zip your .rar file? Twisted Evil

Being serious for a minute... I just tried a test upload of a couple of POI files in a .rar archive, and MyTomTom wouldn't touch it.

I suspect what could be going on here for 'playswell' is that the archive *is* a .zip, but either he's mistaken when he says it's a .rar, or his copy of WinRar has "taken over" and now wants to handle .zip files too. That sort of thing's quite common.

spot on Andy my WINRAR turns all compressed files to RAR files
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's that all clear and 'zipped' up nicely then! Rolling Eyes groan!

Not a bad update from TT. Just wish they would re-instate the upload of .itn (Itinerary route) files.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winrar does not 'turn .zip files into .rar files'. Winrar just associates .zip files with itself when you install it, so double clicking a .zip file opens it in Winrar but it's still a .zip file. .rar files use a different compression technique and are also associated with Winrar on installation so that Winrar opens them when double clicked.
I can now understand where you are coming from.

It's like some people call .csv files Excel files. They are in fact a standard filetype with data in ascii form with the values in table form with the columns separated by a comma and the rows separated by a CR. The .csv stands for 'Comma Separated Values'. It's just that Excel associates .csv with itself that some people with excel call them excel files. A .csv file is NOT an Excel file, but Excel, amongst a load of other programs such as Notepad, will open them because they are just texct files.

It's just a shame that Microsoft, in it's wisdom, decided to hide the three letter file extention ( such as .zip, .rar, .csv etc.) for the file types that 'it knows about. This sometimes causes problems when someone who is displaying the extensions tries to remotely assist someone who is not displaying extensions without realising that they are not.

So I suspect that the reason you are saying that 'Winrar turns them into .rar files' is because you are not displaying the three letter extension, and they are displayed as a Winrar file in Explorer.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presactly.... Smile

Win Explorer / Tools menu / Folder Options / View tab / Untick "hide extensions for known file types" - clears up a lot of mis-understandings!

In my experiment I mentioned above, MyTomTom wouldn't touch a real ".rar" file at all, so I think it must be just handling the .zip files for playswell.
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Presactly.... Smile

Win Explorer / Tools menu / Folder Options / View tab / Untick "hide extensions for known file types" - clears up a lot of mis-understandings!

In my experiment I mentioned above, MyTomTom wouldn't touch a real ".rar" file at all, so I think it must be just handling the .zip files for playswell.

Yes Andy that is indeed the case. I only ever see the winrar symbol ie books on a G clamp

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: