Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930 what next?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930 what next?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: 930 what next? Reply with quote

back again for more advise on where to go next.

so far ive had the original go, then the 910 and on your expert advise the 930 which was a referb from TT

the reason i bought the last 2 was for the american maps but since the 910 was released i havnt been back over the water yet Crying or Very sad

anyway the 930 has had a few hiccups since buying it.
started off with lock ups and resets out the blue and always when i was lost in london. just my luck. that seems to of rectified itself now.
the main problem now is the battery. it was only holding about 40 minutes charge when i got it but was willing to put up with that. now it doesnt even have enough power to boot up. so every time i use it i have to also reset the clock but thats not a biggy.

so what do i do. go for a newer model with live or stick with the 930 and get the battery repaired.
i remember a post about someone in acton london that repaired them but as of yet i still cant find the thread.

i will need the american maps as will get there one day. i also need bluetooth for blackberry.
im lucky if i use it 6 times a year so the live options is really a waste of money but still an option if you think an upgrade would be worth it.

over to you
thanks in advance
jim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice.... stick with the 930 and change the battery yourself.

Batteries are only £10 or so from eBay(and they usually come with the tool you needfor the "Torx" screws on the case - but do check).

A tutorial on how to change the battery is here:

Tomtom Go 720 Replacement Battery

(the 930 is very similar).

The only warning is to be very careful when removing the old battery, which is VERY firmly stuck onto the circuit board. Don't be tempted to lever it off with any force as you'll damage the board.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 930 what next? Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
i remember a post about someone in acton london that repaired them but as of yet i still cant find the thread.

The company recommended by many of our members is SatNav Repair Ltd.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Paulius55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely worth trying to replace the battery yourself. I replaced the battery on my refurb. 730 and I now get 3-4 hours use without power. As mentioned above the only hard part is getting the old battery off the very sticky double-sided tape. I made a plastic arrow-shaped wedge out of an old credit card and slid it between the battery and circuit board so the battery was gently lifted off with no strain or stress.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as always thanks for the advice everyone.
would love to attempt to repair it myself but due to arthritis i get cramp quite easily in the hands when attempting intricate repairs and knowing my luck id break something but thanks Andy (you still here Laughing ) and paulius.

and thanks Anita, thats the one i couldnt find. i knew they had moved from acton but wasnt sure where to. much appreciated one and all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: