Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v880 maps out 15th November 2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v880 maps out 15th November 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - I think you may have a bigger problem than you think you have.

If you had a completely free run on the A3 from London to Southampton, then you were dreaming, cos it doesn't go that way.

The A3 goes from Portsmouth to London, the M3 goes from Southampton to London. I do worry about our delivery drivers sometimes, no wonder your parcel may take longer to get delivered than you think. Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Shocked

Anyway, tongue in cheek and all that. Oh and the maps appears to have screwed up one of my regular hour long journeys. After an update on the map last night, the journey length is now 160 miles instead of 50, and taking 3 hours instead of one. Time to investigate that one when I get home tonight
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloater wrote:
Oh and the maps appears to have screwed up one of my regular hour long journeys. After an update on the map last night, the journey length is now 160 miles instead of 50, and taking 3 hours instead of one. Time to investigate that one when I get home tonight

I'd be interested to hear more details on that when you get a chance to investigate....
(Exact start and end coordinates, map version, hardware version etc. all would be really useful).
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked into it tonight, after the wife reported this problem. Turns out on my 1005, if you select any of the recent destinations that were last mapped on the previous version of the map, then it can't cope and sends you all over the place.

Not noticed this behaviour on previous map updates though.

This route should have been an hour or so from Milton Keynes to Windsor, but look where its taken me. Alarm bells when it said ferries and toll roads Shocked

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the latest model strikes again, MK to Windsor via Nancy (had you by any chance changed the voice?). Laughing

And yes, A3 does go to Portsmouth - at least I got an OUTH in it and I didn't think many aaaaaaaaard Northerners would have heard of it. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bloater. It seems to me that it wants to fly you to the middle of france in a straight line, then take the scenic route on the way home Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloater... I've passed your findings onto contacts at TomTom. Let's see what comes of it!
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.

Strangely though, or maybe not, typing in the exact same postcode routes it correctly. It only happens if you select something from the recent destinations list. Mind you after typing it in, it can then be selected from the recent list and its fine.

@Dennis - Yep you're right, but coming from down that way, and being a Pompey fan, we dont do Southampton, Laughing Out Loud Confused
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've spotted having updated to 880 that also happened with the previous map update is that you have to reset the Home and Work points if you want the "Show Home to Work" traffic option to work. This is on a Via Live 120.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This version has finally updated a roundabout in Rochdale to traffic lights (I reported it about 3 years ago)

Alan
trooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my XL Live using latest map, recently travelling up the M5 and then M6 to Stafford, got asked if I wanted to use the Toll Road. Said no and it then tried to route me off the M6 and round the roundabout. It was OK doing the reverse journey. Don't know where it would have taken me if I had said Yes!
Anybody else had this happen?
Ian
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you said no, are you sure you really refused the toll road option?

When I got the toll road message on my 720 I tapped "No" without reading the message properly, and ended up on the toll road. I later realised that what I had been asked was "Do you want to avoid the toll road?" not "Do you want to use the toll road?" Embarassed
Samsung Galaxy S21
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a play with plan route and have seen something similar on my Via Live 120. It wants me to leave the M6 at J11 and get straight back on. Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trooper... If you mean the M6 northbound at Junction 11, then yes, I've seen it on a Go 940 running v880 maps and I've already reported it to TomTom.

But it does NOT happen on v875 maps on a Go1000 device, so I'm not sure if the problem has only arisen in v880 maps or if the NAV3 devices somehow handle the map data differently.

The problem is that the section of the northbound carriageway just before the M6 Toll joins has been marked as toll road too. So it tries to avoid it by taking you off on the slip road, round the roundabout and back onto the motorway again.

Here it is as shown on the TomTom (light green for the section marked as toll road):

And here's the whole incorrect section (marked in red)

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
When I got the toll road message on my 720 I tapped "No" without reading the message properly, and ended up on the toll road. I later realised that what I had been asked was "Do you want to avoid the toll road?" not "Do you want to use the toll road?" Embarassed

My Carminat has this question the opposite way round to GO devices, so the answer is YES or NO as opposed to NO or YES. I have to constantly remind myself of it when I'm asked - In my early days with it, having just answered the same questioon on my 520 and 550, I just automatically went ahead and tapped bottom right (or bottom left) instead of the other way round. Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the things that drives me mad about TomTom (the company) They KEEP changing the wording of stuff so it needs the opposite answer.

Do you want to avoid the Toll roads? turns into "Do you want to use the Toll roads"

They also seem to delight in asking simple questions in awkward ways... such as the option for "auto power down"

The obvious way to ask it is "Do you want the device to turn off when power is lost?

But they have to ask "Do you want the device to stay on when power is lost" How is that a "power-saving" question?

And with the new "auto power on" option I saw them ask that in an arse-about way too so if you wanted both auto-on and auto-off enabled, they were worded so you had to have one option ticked and the other un-ticked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: