Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v880 maps out 15th November 2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v880 maps out 15th November 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk89camaro wrote:

I reset it, and deleted the mappsettings.cfg file, then re-started.

Still lost all of my POI warnings though, which is a real PITA if you have complete speedzone cameras for both the UK and Europe!!

You must have missed the oft-repeated suggestion on the forums to connect the device to the PC, run TT "Home" and use it to create a new Favourite.

That re-writes the MapSettings.cfg file and usually solves the re-boot problem WITHOUT losing all your settings.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocodile wrote:
I don't want to subscribe. I may just want to buy a single update (depending on price) but that no longer appears to be an option.

See my post two above yours.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I didn't mis-read your question, just didn't make my response clear

TT often discount the map update if you purchase a subscription - so it can be as cheap to upgrade AND subscribe for 12 months as just upgrade - so why wouldn't you benefit from 4 extra map updates if the total price remains about the same?
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
See my post two above yours.
Sorry Andy, didn't get notification of your post for some reason so completely missed it.

xtraseller wrote:
so why wouldn't you benefit from 4 extra map updates if the total price remains about the same?
Well I've managed without any updates since buying it (actually 3 years not 2) so quarterly update holds no attraction for me whatsoever. Especially given how poor the maps are anyway.

As I said previously, when you consider ALK will sell you their application & latest UK maps for around £25, £40 for just a map, that will no doubt be as hopelessly out of date as every previous release is laughable. Even more so as we have two devices.

Thanks for the help guys but I think I'll pass.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v880 POSTCODES files now available
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of horrids from the new map...

1. M4 south Wales around Newport - still has 50mph speed limit from the previous average speed zone.

2. A3 Hindhead tunnel area. I approached southbound yesterday and the speed limit began as 60mph, then reduced to 30 mph when I came out of the tunnel. As I have all my devices set to warn when exceeding speed limit, I had a very musical time of it! A3 is now a lovely decent dual carriageway all the way from London to Southampton and I had a completely clear run on it yesterday afternoon.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: POST CODES ON V880 Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P

Does the fact that you have a zip file for the above mean that TT have omitted them from the v880 download and if yes have they not fixed it yet? I haven't upgraded my 750 GO yet.

Cheers jack.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT have never supplied new Postcodes Files with a Map Upgrade yet! Shocked Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
TT have never supplied new Postcodes Files with a Map Upgrade yet! Shocked Rolling Eyes

And didn't somebody once discover that having upgraded to the latest postcode file, the next new map acually took it back to the previous one? Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbarry wrote:
Hi Andy_P

Does the fact that you have a zip file for the above mean that TT have omitted them from the v880 download and if yes have they not fixed it yet? I haven't upgraded my 750 GO yet.

Cheers jack.

It's not *my* zip file, that forum post takes you to a direct link to the TomTom download server. Smile

And yes, TomTom have omitted them from the map download.

But as Oldboy says, to my knowledge, they have NEVER sent updated postcode files out with new maps.
So if you have updated your maps for years, but never updated the postcodes manually, you'll still be using the original version that came with the device when new!
you should be able to find out what version you are currently running by looking in the folder called "zip" on your device and opening the "Great_BritainPostal.ver" file with Notepad (or any text reader)

DennisN wrote:

And didn't somebody once discover that having upgraded to the latest postcode file, the next new map acually took it back to the previous one? Confused

I don't remember that....
To be honest, I can't think how it could be achieved either. Even if they did send out some old files with map, I would have thought the datestamps of the files would stop them overwriting the newer ones.
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P

Thanks for your repsonse.

Regards, jack.
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded v880 on my 750 GO Live and guess what, did it work OK? No! I got the bootlooping bug. I used hazzamon's routine to fix it thank goodness as I need it to work tomorrow. Should we really have to go through this routine each time? This is why I never do any update immediately - I wait to see what nasties arise each time.

I've also downloaded the zip file provided by Andy_P and it seems OK in the house so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Cheers, jack.
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
If you contact TomTom Support, they may be willing to transfer your subscription from one device to another, if you explain that your old device is no longer in use.

They may also require you to register it under the same e-mail address as the old device (something to to with it being cheaper for them to reuse the same map licence). This isn't what would normally be recommended on PGPSW, but it has worked OK for me.

Daggers - I did as you suggested although I thought it unlikely TomTom would help and to my amazement they agreed to swap the subscription to new device. Very Happy I used the online chat help service and they then said they would have to escalate it because my subscription was for UK & ROI map on my old ONE XL whereas my new 1005 has a Europe map. However, they emailed me back 2 days later and have transferred it.

Many thanks for your advice and 3 cheers to TOMTOM customer support for once! Shocked Smile
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated the maps on my unit 8 mins start to finish ,now to find out what changes have been made.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQUARE2024 wrote:
Just updated the maps on my unit 8 mins start to finish ,now to find out what changes have been made.

Or what changes havent been made ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: