Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v880 maps out 15th November 2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v880 maps out 15th November 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beeceegee wrote:
No - you can't backup a 1005, "Manage Content" only deals with installation and removal of 3rd Party POIs, and as you say pointless if the device is sulking and refusing to communicate (a bit like a certain Russian Mars spacecraft)

The good news is that after one and a half days, 5 (yes five) separate downloads, a change of computer, fresh install of MyTomTom, different browser, followed by a reinstall of MyTomTom over the top of the fresh install after the download had completed and with the TT still connected, the TT finally responded and the map has been successfully transferred.

So xtraseller was right all along - you don't need a backup. All you need is a couple of spare days, a volume tolerant broadband connection, a new computer, a selection of browsers, dogged persistence and the correct pills to keep you going.

Well done, congratulations. Clap Bouncing Not Worthy I may ask the management to make this post a sticky to guide all other faint hearted people who need to put their 1000/1005 back on track.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
It's just a regular roundabout I'm afraid so no update - it's the same on Google

Typical! Rolling Eyes

Many thanks for taking the time to look at the new map for me! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M4 around Newport, South Wales, is still shown as 50mph. It must be several months since the 50mph average speed Specs were removed and replaced by variable speed fixed cameras. Bit annoying really - I have my Status Bar options set to warn when exceeding speed limit, using Dive, dive, dive bugle - on all three devices, which go off a few seconds apart and at frequent intervals over those several miles. Evil or Very Mad

Oh, and my six Mapshare corrections need doing again.

beeceegee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Well done, congratulations. Clap Bouncing Not Worthy I may ask the management to make this post a sticky to guide all other faint hearted people who need to put their 1000/1005 back on track.

Cool

BrianG
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The A350 at East Knoyle is now on the correct alignment at last, after sending artics down a narrow lane with a sharp bend for the last few years.
Its that narrow that if you meet someone walking its a job to pass them.

Washman
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

washman wrote:
Hi

The A350 at East Knoyle is now on the correct alignment at last, after sending artics down a narrow lane with a sharp bend for the last few years.

Washman

Stuart's going to be dead pleased with this!

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the sarcastic comments, I was pleased to read that

a) most people have a trouble free update
b) lots of maps errors or ommissions updated

and

c) that cloud restore does indeed work, if it takes a little time

Some people just don't like change, or probably just don't understand it. Well that is fine, but these new units work in today's world, and i'm afraid you either have to accept that or shop elsewhere while there products catch up and start to function in the same way (hopefully! Laughing Out Loud)

My phone cannot back up it's firmware (even to the cloud), which to me is more important than my satnav, neither does my SmartTV, PVR, or Brain

Not perfect, I accept, but if it works most of the time for most of the people, then in my experience of consumer products, that is pretty dam good! Wink
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: A350 East Knoyle Reply with quote

washman wrote:
Hi

Washman

About time....This was one of my pet hates. Smile
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: A350 Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
washman wrote:
Hi

Washman

Stuart's going to be dead pleased with this!

DennisN......You beat me to it !!!! I haven't gone far north this week, next week is Glasgow, so I'll wait and see....Could be one happy White Van Man... Driving
P.S. Hope my 520T gets back from the repair shop in time ...
hazzamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed the latest map on my 750, and got the bootloop that others have had. Here's how I fixed it:

• With the device bootlooping in your hands, connect it to your computer.
  • Hold down the power button until the device resets (TomTom logo & 'Baddum' noise)
  • At this point your device should switch to USB mode and TomTom Home should pop up.
  • Ignore any updates, go back to the main menu, select 'Operate my device'
  • You should be asked to download a file. Go put the kettle on.
  • When up-and-running, go to 'Navigate to' -- 'Recent Destination'
  • Select 'Delete' to clear the list
  • Done! Close TomTom Home, safely remove the TomTom and all should be well.

I've had to do this with a few map updates in the past, usually however the restarts have occurred while driving, rather than a boot-loop.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beeceegee wrote:

"Manage Content" only deals with installation and removal of 3rd Party POIs,

Err no... I think you're confusing two different things.

You're thinking of "Add Community Content" in the MyTomTom tray application.
I'm talking about "Manage Content" at the top right of the MyTomTom browser page.
There you CAN manage your maps and subscriptions to some degree, but it's obviously not the same as a full backup.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
After all the sarcastic comments, I was pleased to read that

a) most people have a trouble free update
b) lots of maps errors or ommissions updated

and

c) that cloud restore does indeed work, if it takes a little time
You are missing the point, despite the fact that you actually quote it yourself "most people have a trouble free update"! Yes, we know that already, thank you! Most people (sic) belong to that group, my own updates went perfectly (except of course for not retaining my Favourites, Home location and Status Bar preferences - what a bunch of useless programmers who can't cope with that!!).

The point is that those who are NOT "most people" do NOT have a trouble free update. Anita (who is pretty damn bright with TTs) is a "not most people" and some others who have posted in this thread. Do me a favour to save me hunting - tell me which post in this thread you are pleased to have read which says the "not most people" person resolved her/his troubled update with the cloud, because I'm blowed if I can find it. And which cloud has my Favourites, Home location and Status bar setup to restore? Cuckoo? Because so far as I can gather, "Everybody" people suffer from that trouble with their updates. Those of us who are like Anita can resolve that "trouble" quite easily from a backup, but the poor innocents whose computing ability stretches only as far as finding a little hole thingy to plug their USB cable into just suffer lost data. Were your Favourites, Home location and Status Bar settings still there after you updated or did you have to do some sort of secret computer TomTom genius fiddle to restore them?

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Were your Favourites, Home location and Status Bar settings still there after you updated
No, they were in his backup Shocked
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually comment about map changes, but this time I'm going to add my voice to the minor changes brigade. In the last map, a road got "opened up" that has been closed for a long time. You can see it in street view at http://g.co/maps/zhjba but I cannot understand why. The TomTom will try to send you through Kendal via this road, which means that there are going to be a lot of people turning round in the car park here. Hmm, I wonder if they get paid by supermarkets to give them passing trade?

I just don't understand why this got opened up.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the minor changes "problem" is unavoidable - there are so many roads, so many changes made by local councils that it is inevitable. Sure, there are some which are beyond reasonable understanding, but generally speaking I'd say it's a fact of life where satnav maps are concerned. We should all be accustomed to it if we've been satnaving for any time at all.

What really gets me annoyed though, is the failure to carry forward the settings from the previous map. This affects everybody, so far as I can tell. The "experts" among us have long known about it and have backups so that the settings file can be copied across to restore the missing features. But the inexpert user has to put up with losing his home location, favourites, status bar preferences, recent destinations and I've even occasionally had my map colour reset to one I don't like. It's only fairly recently that the new map updates have retained your POIs - they too used to disappear with new maps. I am old enough to remember the days when any update offered by Home also popped up a window advising you to do a backup before updating - albeit backup using Home, which was almost as useless as no backup at all, but nevertheless it used to warn you. Nowadays it doesn't even do that!

EDIT - Sorry, that's wrong (see Privateer's post below) - I'm getting confused with Favourites - we've always advised converting Favourites to POIs in order to retain them. Shame that TT can't look after the people who don't know this work around.

Last edited by DennisN on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: