Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom to Add 3rd Party POI Support by End of January 2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom to Add 3rd Party POI Support by End of January 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the SECOND part of your question....

You don't say which voice alert set you picked, but all I can say in our defence is that there are historical reasons for the "missing" bits.

All of the existing voice files were produced by different people in different ways, some of them using real voice artists, but always just as a personal thing, which they then shared with the community here.

So the warnings produced were a) what that particular person wanted, and b} only for the camera types that existed at the time (which is why the unverified "PMobiles" are missing from lots of the voice sets as they simply didn't exist.

If you try a different voice set you will find a different selection.
I can recommend the "Simon" voice as I made that one and it does contain all the files you need.

But having said that, by coincidence it has recently been decided that PGPSW should produce an "official" set of voice alerts which will then be properly supported, and I'm in the process of creating those files at theis very minute (I needed a break form renaming dozens of files and popped onto the forum for a bit.)

So try downloading the Simon voice pack now, and keep an eye on the forum for announcements about the new "official" voices in the next week or so.
_________________
"Settling in nicely" ;-)


Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appologies... my (long) previous reply was for the SECOND part of your question where you were saying there were no VOICE files for certain camera types.

Re-reading your post I see you also said


Quote:
- I only have the 2 BMP for _mobile_var and no OV2 or OGG. Same situation for _pmobile_var and _specs_var. Does this mean you are no longer warning about variable speeds on the M25 etc?


It is CORRECT that there are no _mobile_var and _pmobile_var _specs_var cameras at the moment so there are no data files for them (the icons and voices in some sets were created "just in case")

The ones on the M25 gantries are GATSO_VAR not SPECS_VAR cameras and you should find plenty of those!
_________________
"Settling in nicely" ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GenghisKhan
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jun 18, 2011
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Appologies... my (long) previous reply was for the SECOND part of your question where you were saying there were no VOICE files for certain camera types.

Re-reading your post I see you also said


Quote:
- I only have the 2 BMP for _mobile_var and no OV2 or OGG. Same situation for _pmobile_var and _specs_var. Does this mean you are no longer warning about variable speeds on the M25 etc?


It is CORRECT that there are no _mobile_var and _pmobile_var _specs_var cameras at the moment so there are no data files for them (the icons and voices in some sets were created "just in case")

The ones on the M25 gantries are GATSO_VAR not SPECS_VAR cameras and you should find plenty of those!


Thanks for confirming all this Andy. It looks like I'm successfully up and running. I look forward to seeing the official voices in the near future. For now I have Vicki wherever possible and then used Simon for the missing ones only.
Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turbo10
Regular Visitor


Joined: May 24, 2008
Posts: 230
Location: Wigan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that a software boffin hasn't come up with a program that will bulk load the files instead of the never ending time consuming TT way Wink
_________________
Triumph Tiger 800 XRt
Garmin Zumo 595LM
TomTom Live Truck
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo10 wrote:
I am surprised that a software boffin hasn't come up with a program that will bulk load the files instead of the never ending time consuming TT way Wink


Depends what you mean...

You CAN "bulk-load" all the files in one go, I do it all the time.

You can just select all the files in the file selection window with either 'click and drag' or shift-click or ctrl-click in the normal Windows way. You just have to use a proper internet browser, as apparently IE has problems doing it

But if you mean "create a way to create all the "Warn when near" settings in including the audio file selection" then, yes, it would be nice...

But TT themselves would have no interest in enabling it as it is only of use to a tiny minority of their users, and even then, your requirements will be different to mine (you may want Europe cameras, but I don't, you may want different distance settings from me etc. etc.)
_________________
"Settling in nicely" ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turbo10
Regular Visitor


Joined: May 24, 2008
Posts: 230
Location: Wigan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
turbo10 wrote:
I am surprised that a software boffin hasn't come up with a program that will bulk load the files instead of the never ending time consuming TT way Wink


Depends what you mean...

You CAN "bulk-load" all the files in one go, I do it all the time.

You can just select all the files in the file selection window with either 'click and drag' or shift-click or ctrl-click in the normal Windows way. You just have to use a proper internet browser, as apparently IE has problems doing it

But if you mean "create a way to create all the "Warn when near" settings in including the audio file selection" then, yes, it would be nice...

But TT themselves would have no interest in enabling it as it is only of use to a tiny minority of their users, and even then, your requirements will be different to mine (you may want Europe cameras, but I don't, you may want different distance settings from me etc. etc.)


Hi Andy
Can you elaborate on how to "Bulk Load" all the files in one go.
I have just tried loading as you mentioned but won't do it. I am using Firefox, do you class this a "proper" IB?

Dave
_________________
Triumph Tiger 800 XRt
Garmin Zumo 595LM
TomTom Live Truck
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Dec 08, 2004
Posts: 10640
Location: Suffolk, UK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo10 wrote:
I have just tried loading as you mentioned but won't do it.
Do you have the latest MyTomTom Update?

See Andy's Post on the previous Page - Here.
_________________
Richard

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Western Europe Map v1110
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
turbo10
Regular Visitor


Joined: May 24, 2008
Posts: 230
Location: Wigan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused, On Andy's page it says ......
"Note: You can only upload ONE file at a time" but then referance is made to Bulk Load the files
I think I have the latest TT software, V3.1.0.432, take it that's the latest?
_________________
Triumph Tiger 800 XRt
Garmin Zumo 595LM
TomTom Live Truck
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo10 wrote:
I am confused, On Andy's page it says ......
"Note: You can only upload ONE file at a time" but then referance is made to Bulk Load the files
I think I have the latest TT software, V3.1.0.432, take it that's the latest?


Sorry... things change.... Smile (although I didn't say what you say I did in the post Oldboy linked to)

When My TomTom first came out, it couldn't upload POIs to the sat-nav at all.

Then they got that working, but you could only upload one file at a time, then (a few versions ago) they got it working so you could select several files at once, by click and drag with the mouse, or by shift-click or Ctrl-click, just like you do in Windows Explorer.

But for some strange reason, this still doesn't work for a lot of people if you use Internet explorer as your browser. It works fine for me in Firefox 3.
Maybe it's broken again FF 4 or 5? I haven't updated to those because so many of my favourite Firefox add-ons don't work any more..
_________________
"Settling in nicely" ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo10 wrote:

Hi Andy
Can you elaborate on how to "Bulk Load" all the files in one go.
I have just tried loading as you mentioned but won't do it. I am using Firefox, do you class this a "proper" IB?
Dave


Hi Dave, I don't really know what more to suggest, here's a couple of pictures of it working for me.

This is holding down the mouse button and dragging over the files I want (upwards in this pic):






Notice the multiple file names are appearing in the box at the bottom.

Here's holding down the SHIFT key on the keyboard and clicking in two places to select a range:





And here's holding down the CTRL key on the keyboard whilst clicking on several files that aren't next to each other.



_________________
"Settling in nicely" ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turbo10
Regular Visitor


Joined: May 24, 2008
Posts: 230
Location: Wigan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy
In an attempt to bulk load I went back to FF3. I now have a strange problem with the files I try and select to bulk load, I can now only highlight 1 file at a time, can't lasso, cant ctlr or Shift and select files, cant select just the one I can select and then go to file "select all" Confused

I think I will stick to one file at a time until I have more time to put my finger on whats wrong, thanks for your help up to now.
_________________
Triumph Tiger 800 XRt
Garmin Zumo 595LM
TomTom Live Truck
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor


Joined: Apr 27, 2011
Posts: 121
Location: Northallerton North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo10 wrote:
Hi Andy
In an attempt to bulk load I went back to FF3. I now have a strange problem with the files I try and select to bulk load, I can now only highlight 1 file at a time, can't lasso, cant ctlr or Shift and select files, cant select just the one I can select and then go to file "select all" Confused

I think I will stick to one file at a time until I have more time to put my finger on whats wrong, thanks for your help up to now.


I'm on 1005 and I use Google Chrome on a Windows XP box. It was still working this morning and I had no trouble in "bulk Loading".

Alan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
21.094 (27 Sep 23)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping