Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange routeing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange routeing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, thanks for that. Will have to look into it when I have some time Smile
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1690 and also noticed changes in calculated routes. I think it happens after a map update; something is changed in the updated map so the route calculated is different from before.

The thing that really irritates is when I have set up a route in Mapsource and the route is straight away recalculated when transferred to the GPS. Even though I set up via points to make sure it follows my route, it can ignore my waypoints and does its own thing or a bizare zigzag.

Eg there is a new estate in Sittingbourne Kent, which has two roads to it. One from the north and the other from the south. However the south one has been designated only for buses exiting the estate. If I approach from the south, it invaribly directs me to enter the estate via this narrow bus lane against the traffic. I realise that this will probably get corrected in the fullness of time when the estate is completed.
Having been there a number of times now, I know what route to take - but as an excercise, I have tried setting up custom road/area avoidance in Mapsource (works fine in Mapsource) but the avoidance does not get transferred to the GPS which then recalculates the route to the very point I want to avoid.
The 1690 does not appear to have anywhere to set up custom avoidance on the unit nor can I find a way to transfer the Mapsource avoidance to the GPS.
Anyone know how?

CDK.
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDK wrote:
I have a 1690 and also noticed changes in calculated routes. I think it happens after a map update; something is changed in the updated map so the route calculated is different from before.
CDK.

I've just come across this problem. I updated the maps to the latest version and now the 1690 does not take the quickest route. ( I do, and it will recalculate to correct this) but I imagine someone who is not familiar with the area could add on half an hour to their journey.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Manchester over the weekend.
Set up a Via Point to pick up a friend near Hounslow (West London).
Route from Ashford was M20, M26, M25 off at J12 M3 to via point then A4, M4, M25 then M40 and on.
BUT.
Correctly got me off the M25 at J12 but then completely disregarding the Via Point, not even going anywhere near it, tried to get straight to A4, M4 to rejoin the M25 then to M40!
Also:
Both there and back the 1690 did not route me through the M62 toll road even though all avoidances were disabled.
Once I drove onto that, it then recalculated to take it in. So why did it plan the route via B'ham even though the toll route is shorter/faster?
Why did it disregard the Via Point completely?

One of life's mysteries !!!

inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
tailz wrote:
... so can only put it down to crap software.

It's not the software, Garmin works out its routes from the mapping and that's supplied by Navteq. Associated with each segment of map is a 'speed' parameter, so Garmin works out what is 'fastest' using the speed parameters set by Navteq. Sometimes they're a tad out Shocked

But the Garmins "learn" your speed for the various different types of road and ETA's progressively get more accurate from new, at least, that is my experience with my aged 660FM.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:

But the Garmins "learn" your speed for the various different types of road

Do they?!?!

I'd be very impressed if they do, but somehow I doubt it.
Where do they save the information? Got a filename?
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my Nuvi certainly learns my driving speeds to give very good ETAs under consistent road conditions.

I learnt this from the GpsPassion site, and I can see that it's true.

I cannot see where the data is stored in the device, but there are various .bin files etc that I cannot read with my level of knowledge.

Dales.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, another plus point for Garmins!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have mine setup for this AI but it failed miserably. Because I mainly drive from home to work, and vice versa, it used to guess where I was going and estimate the time and distance.

It was quite inaccurate so I turned that feature off.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Do they?!?!

I'd be very impressed if they do, but somehow I doubt it.
Where do they save the information? Got a filename?

Sorry, Andy - not a clue as to where/how the info is stored but my 660 got more and more accurate over its first few months. I've now had it about 4 years and can absolutely rely on its ETA's, even on totally new journeys. I now only use it with our motorhome and plan journey stops with it.
I will have to replace the 660 soon as the GTM21 seems to have died (the plug has lost its traffic connection because the cable grip doesn't). I just hope that the newer ones also learn the driver's style.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1490 gives more accurate ETAs on roads I've travelled, and it's certainly said to 'learn' your driving style, but my experience is that this only applies to roads I've driven on regularly. To be fair though I've generally found the Garmin ETA to be relatively accurate on other routes also.

It is of course possible that this info is stored in inaccessible memory, just like favourites etc.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this with my unit last weekend Blue Anchor to Guildford, now it should take me along the A39 to Williton, A358 through Taunton to the the Illminster bypass, then A303, M3 then via Odiham or A331 Blackwater Valley.

This time it tried taking me to Bridgwater on the A39, A372 via Westonzoyland & Langport to the A303! Shocked

I just ignored it until I was well on my way to Taunton, I know the A358 as well as the locals do, then told it "Go Home" & it got it wrong again by trying to get me to use the A378 via Langport (it seems to have developed a love affair with that place & Somerton), so I ignored it again, after Ashill it gave up & sent me the correct way. Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My built in unit also gives some comical results.

I ask it to give me the shortest route from Heathrow(ish) to Malvern and it always takes me up the M40 to almost Birmingham, total mileage 129.

It continues with this game until I turn off the M40 at J8 (A40) where it recalculates and immediately knocks 25 miles off the journey.

If only they could imitate MapPoint/AutoRoute which always gets it right first time whatever journey I ask for.

MapPoint/AutoRoute uses NavTeq so the surely the building blocks are there ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: