Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Nothing has changed with respect to where the files should reside, with V1.8 you need to be using true png files which are available from the zip download on page one of this thread.
When you add the mapsettings.cfg file to the documents/ Europe folder make sure the iPhone isn't still running the TomTom app in the back ground otherwise it won't take effect - Mike
A13x
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally baffled by this, On UK its working fine on Tom Tom 1.8, as soon as i change to europe i do all the instructions again.

Close the app, copy all the files etc. Fire app back up and there are no speed cameras in the POI at all, speed cameras are disabled for europe edition.

Does this only work on UK only and not western and central europe?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works on both the UK&ROI app as well as the European app, it will only work with UK based cameras from PGPSW though, it will not warn of European Cameras just the UK based ones in MPH.

If you are having issues with it not showing POI files are you sure you have put them in to the correct folder and was the app fully shut down when loading the mapsettings.cfg file, if not the required changes don't take effect, the app must be shut down, if its running in the back ground when loading the files this work around won't work - Mike
A13x
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

app was def shut down, i copied the files to the same folder as the map (like with WM and TOMTOM devices.

The TomtomOV2 was downloaded, i also downloaded mapsettings and the png,ogg zip too and copied them all over when the app was shut down.

i do not see the pot safety camera or anything camera listed in the poi list. I checked the map view and cannot see any camera at all.

Only thing i can think of is i copied them to incorrect folder.
jfbuchanan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
John, Nothing has changed with respect to where the files should reside, with V1.8 you need to be using true png files which are available from the zip download on page one of this thread.
When you add the mapsettings.cfg file to the documents/ Europe folder make sure the iPhone isn't still running the TomTom app in the back ground otherwise it won't take effect - Mike

Mike, my apologies are due to you!

I had upgraded my o/s from XP to Windows 7 reinstalled DiskAid - but omitted to reset the "Show Root View For Apps" flag. I did that and magically (well not really magically) all the folders I needed to access were displayed, and TomTom V1.8 is working swimmingly again.

I suppose if nothing else my earlier post does show what people will see if they dont set that flag.

Incidentally the version of DiskAid that I am using (V4.64) has updated (and changed) screens for the Advanced preference settings - but still the same in principle.

John
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, I took the plunge and went for the full Europe version!
Just trying to install the PGPSW database using the instructions on page 1 of this thread, but couldn’t seem to get anything to happen, Couldn't see any of the camera POI's on screen

I made sure the app is not running by double clicking home button on iPhone 4 then when the TomTom app icon appears along the bottom clicking the minus sign to close it, so I know it was not running.

Anyway after some lateral thinking realised what was missing were the actual OV2 files for the cameras, obviously thery are not in the second zip file “v1.7 Zip File (iPhone4)”

Once I realised this and copied them from the database download it worked fine!

It may be what others have been missing as well!
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
bmp renamed to png works, bmp files saved/ converted to png doesn't work which kinda answers the file type - It is rather unique.

As this requires a mapsettings.cfg file to be provided in order to work its somewhat different to the normal PGPSW database downloads in that it will only work with the Speed Zoned database and excludes pMobiles as it currently stands (my choice).

I can see quite some debate over offering different warning distances and camera options but each one will require a specific MapSettings.cfg file creating which simply isn't viable, most iPhone TomTom users won't have a PND to clone the required file from and there is no way to configure the alerts on the iPhone - Mike

Sorry to dig this post back up, but I have given up after searching more than 15 pages of this thread for a solution.

I have a set of my own POI files as OV2 which I have manged to load onto the iPhone.
I can't seem to get the matching BMP files onto it though?

I have tried renaming them by typing .PNG in the filname, but it just seems to change the file name and not the type.
I have tried opening some BMP's in paint and saving as .PNG, which produces a PNG file, but when copied onto the iPhonedoesn't show up correctly.

Have I missed somthing?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got file extensions showing? Win 7 Open Control panel, type extensions in the search box, in Folder Options, click Show or hide file extensions and uncheck the 'Hide extensions for known file types' checkbox. OK yours way out.
But you have probably done this already, but for the benefit of others, if you add (say) .png to the filename of a bmp file without the extension showing just realy renames it to fred.png.bmp so the real extension is still .bmp. It is yhe extension that you need to rename.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Have you got file extensions showing? Win 7 Open Control panel, type extensions in the search box, in Folder Options, click Show or hide file extensions and uncheck the 'Hide extensions for known file types' checkbox. OK yours way out.
But you have probably done this already, but for the benefit of others, if you add (say) .png to the filename of a bmp file without the extension showing just realy renames it to fred.png.bmp so the real extension is still .bmp. It is yhe extension that you need to rename.

Thanks

Had only renamed the file!

Now tried it with a BMP properly renamed to PNG, still shows up in menu as the TomTom logo and on the map as a kind of default red square.

Any Ideas?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't help you there as I don't have a TT. As I know that lots of folk have the extensions hidden (MS default) I thought that I would have a quick stab at seing if that was your renaming problem.
I would have thought that renaming the file type would have screwed things up, as surely they are different formats, but who knows the vaguerities of TT? Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off the wall - are you using a Mac, by any chance? I'm thinking DOT files which are my headache just now.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Just off the wall - are you using a Mac, by any chance? I'm thinking DOT files which are my headache just now.

No, windows 7!

Noticed that the PGSW PNG files were 44 x 44 pixlels, so tried opening my BMP files in a graphics program and resizing them to 44 x 44.

When I transferred this over to the iPhone, partial success!

They now show up correctly inthe menu, but on the map still just red squares!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the icon is saved as a 24 bit colour png image otherwise you will get the brick red square on the screen - Mike

Edit to add an explanation of how to do this:

1/ Open the icon file using "Paint"

2/ File/ Save As and use the drop down box to select "24 bit bitmap"

3/ File/ Save As and use the drop down box to select png file type

The icon is now ready to be used and will work on the iPhone.

If its an iPhone4 I would consider trying to resize the icon to 44x44 as they show up far better at this revised size, if you want the icon to show up the same size as the POI icons built in to the app as supplied by TomTom resize them to 32x32 pixels, the icons supplied in the zip file on page one of this thread are 44x44 assuming you select iPhone4 - Mike
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Make sure the icon is saved as a 24 bit colour png image otherwise you will get the brick red square on the screen - Mike

If its an iPhone4 I would consider trying to resize the icon to 44x44 as they show up far better at this revised size, if you want the icon to show up the same size as the POI icons built in to the app as supplied by TomTom resize them to 32x32 pixels, the icons supplied in the zip file on page one of this thread are 44x44 assuming you select iPhone4 - Mike

Thanks Mike!

Tested and this works perfectly!

Resized a BMp to 44 x 44 and it shows up on both menu and map.
Now for the tedious task of converting them all 70 of them!
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Thanks Mike!

Tested and this works perfectly!

Resized a BMp to 44 x 44 and it shows up on both menu and map.
Now for the tedious task of converting them all 70 of them!

Just found something that makes this task a whole lot easier....

http://www.faststone.org/download.htm

FastStone Photo Resizer 3.1 Freeware (Last Update: 2011-05-04)
An image converter and renaming tool that intends to enable users to convert, rename, resize, crop, rotate, change color depth, add text and watermarks to images in a quick and easy batch mode.

Just downloaded it and it can be set to convert to 24 bit, resize and save as PNG all in one go.
You can point it at a folder contents and batch convert the entire contents in less than a minute.
Have checked the results and loaded onto my iPhone 4 and pleased to report all show up perfectly!

Happy Days!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 23 of 42

Jump to: