Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New maps??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New maps??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsdjj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: New maps?? Reply with quote

I have the Tomtom go 730 with truck routes on it and also TomTom Go live which my husband uses. I have old versions of maps on them both, The Go live has version Europe_2gb v835.2448 with apparently 6 newer versions since and the other Europe Truck 845 2649 v 845.2649, is there a practical way of updating both sets of maps other than buying from TomTom site?
I was paying each year for the traffic info, until I discovered the plug in thing which sits on the dashboard which is a one off cost and updates the traffic all the time now Embarassed
As you can guess Im not technically up there, but would like an answer before I shell out lots of money ;-(
Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only legal source of maps is TomTom I'm afraid. We are aware that piracy does occur, but do not allow discussion of it here, because we disapprove of it.

The current latest map is 870. Another new one is not too far away in the future. That means you could wait and shell out lots of money on the next maps v875, or you could wait a little less time and get the present ones at a discounted price. Or the Map Update Service gets you the latest map, then the next three over the coming year - it costs about the same as the single new latest map.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to what Dennis said, finding a "Truck" version map will be a bit trickier and much more expensive than the normal maps.

TomTom don't sell it from the normal map shop on their website, you have to go to their business site, and get a quote!
I don't THINK Home will offer it to you either.

http://business.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/

Alternatively, you can get it on an SD card from here:

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/TomTom-Truck-Navigation-Software.8205.html, but at nearly £180 for Europe it's pretty eye-wateringly expensive!

You also need to be very careful to check what map version it is, as they very rarely mention that in the adverts.
gsdjj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: More maps then ;-( Reply with quote

Thank you both very much for this. The truck one causes me the most confusion. I bought the whole caboodle off ebay, (nothign wrong with that) and theres an sd card in it, but its not the TomTom Truck 7000 series. The sd card is a 4gb with a sticker on it from play.com. I can only assume that truck software is on that???? Does this mean I have a copy that isnt allowed to be upgraded. SOrry being very thick here. Its in a TomTom Go 730.
Am I making sense or babbling here?
If I subscribe to Tom toms updates, (which I am quite happy to) am I allowed to put them on both Tomtoms or is that not allowed and I have to pay for two lots of maps? Rolling Eyes
gsdjj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed at the bottom of your post Dennis you have never mapshare. I often wondered if people were less honest than me, they could put on all sorts of road closures and I would get it on my tomtom. I have mapshared up till now, but reading that should I reconsider?
Idea
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will require a map update subscription for both devices, a map can only be activated for use with a single piece of hardware - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsdjj wrote:
I have mapshared up till now, but reading that should I reconsider?

That's your decision - I would not recommend Mapshare to anyone if they asked me for a reference for it, but there are lots of people who love it to bits and it is a brilliant idea. But I believe it has been so badly implemented as to make it untrustworthy. The NEVER part of my signature is that I never download any corrections.

My reasons are

1. I have no idea how TomTom verify the corrections and I have seen far too many stupid ones for my personal liking e.g. permanent speed reductions implemented for school hours only limits, and last time I crossed M48 Severn Bridge - Monday 25th July, it once again had a speed limit of 40mph which TT had accepted from somebody submitting the "normal" temporary limit for high winds - just a couple, but it shows how some people don't understand the word "permanent" and how TomTom do a poor job of verifying submissions. Those are not current Mapshare corrections I've downloaded, because I don't download them, they are permanent changes to the map done by TomTom. The first time I corrected that M48 speed, it accepted it as 71mph, not 70!!

2. I have heard what sounds logical to me, namely that downloaded Mapshare corrections are written as extra data into the map and as such take up more resources than normal and slow it down.

3. TomTom seem incapable of carrying your mapshare corrections forward when they sell you a new map, so you have to do them all over again and again for the next new map, until such time as they incorporate them into the map base. Those in favour of Mapshare claim their corrections have been incorporated, but I do about six for my own convenience and they've never yet been incorporated.

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
3. TomTom seem incapable of carrying your mapshare corrections forward when they sell you a new map, so you have to do them all over again and again for the next new map, until such time as they incorporate them into the map base. Those in favour of Mapshare claim their corrections have been incorporated, but I do about six for my own convenience and they've never yet been incorporated.

Agreed, I submit mapshare corrections, but don't download any either. A roundabout in the bypass near me has been there for almost 3 years as a retail park was built (but never occupied due to the recession). A couple of minor roads disappeared as they are now under the carpark and an entry and exit to the bypass where removed and the roundabout added about a 100yards away. It takes forever to submit all this lot via mapshare and it still hasn't made it in to a TT map. I have submitted it to TeleAtlas as well.

Then again, google maps has it wrong as well. Strangely enough, google street view shows the roundabout and the half built retail park here

Looks like it was a nice day in Rossendale when google visited!

And here are the entry and exit that no longer exist.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bear in mind the little bit of writing at the bottom of Google maps - "Copyright TeleAtlas" AKA TomTom!

And Rossendale isn't that bad (despite being the wrong side).

gsdjj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Damn expense! Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You will require a map update subscription for both devices, a map can only be activated for use with a single piece of hardware - Mike

Thats a shame. SO I need to buy two lots of maps then AND truck maps!!? In my ignorance I thought the truck part was just a database that used my TomTom normal maps.
More learning done!
Thanks for the advice on Mapshare. I sat once updating a dead end road, (that I was never likely to use again) just because I found the button on the TomTom screen, but have been downloading since the start. At least now with new maps I will start afresh. Thanks ALL for ure advice. Keep up the good work, helping us all out!! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: