Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD traffic not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD traffic not working
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post on Wednesday about seeing delays with a dark blue traffic bar thinking thats strange why they didn't show. It was a bit patchy on Thursday then later became 100%.

PS Has the mileage thing been sorted as TT limited it's use with an arbitary mileage limit. I know I was one of the people saying this some time back.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2216 wrote:

PS Has the mileage thing been sorted as TT limited it's use with an arbitary mileage limit. I know I was one of the people saying this some time back.

No, it seems it's now as bad as it is on the new models - a 50 mile limit.

See all the previous posts in this topic and in the parallel 1005 HD Traffic USELESS topic.
(Wish we could merge them together!)
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely worse now.

I normally can see all the way to work, but today a 31 minute delay that had been there for ages popped up when I was about 50 miles away.

alan195
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set off today & it showed a delay near the end of my journey. Checked & it was 86 miles away, which is more than the 50 mentioned in previous posts.

Go 740 Live
Go 600
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan195 wrote:
I set off today & it showed a delay near the end of my journey. Checked & it was 86 miles away, which is more than the 50 mentioned in previous posts.
I wish there was more detail with this. Did it show in the traffic bar and when? Did it show 86 miles on the traffic bar? I'm confused because you say it said a delay near the end of the journey and you then checked, whereas I'd have expected you to say you saw it on the traffic bar already.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I'm confused because you say it said a delay near the end of the journey and you then checked, whereas I'd have expected you to say you saw it on the traffic bar already.

You only see the distance to the first delay/incident on the Traffic Bar. If it wasn't the first incident, he would have to check via Show Traffic On Route.
alan195
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I wish there was more detail with this. Did it show in the traffic bar and when? Did it show 86 miles on the traffic bar? I'm confused because you say it said a delay near the end of the journey and you then checked, whereas I'd have expected you to say you saw it on the traffic bar already.

It came up on the traffic bar. The distance on the traffic bar said 86 miles. I said I checked it because I had to put my reading glasses on to see it. I was in Dalton-in-Furness at the time heading for Manchester. The delay was on the M61/ M60 junction. It was 8:30 so it had gone by the time I got there at about 10:00

Go 740 Live
Go 600
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan195 wrote:
The delay was on the M61/ M60 junction. It was 8:30 so it had gone by the time I got there at about 10:00
Is this not exactly TT's argument for only including 'nearby' delays?.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is, and it is a flawed argument.

1. If you can see the delay you can asses it and make a decision about your overall route. If the delay is 4 minutes and none of the other roads are affected the you may take the route, but if the delay is 92 minutes and all the other roads around are blocked then you will avoid it like the plague. TT deny you this information.

2. If you are driving towards a blockage and it is a good hour away (70 miles), you can monitor whether it is growing or shrinking. You are more likely to take the route if it is shrinking; conversely you can extrapolate the delay time if it is growing and make an overall routing decision based on that. TT deny you this information.

Ideally TT should give us a long range / short range setting, so those who always fancied a pair of Zaphod's specs can set it to short range.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm an out-sider looking in, I agree with pottsy. Show all the delays and allow the user to make an informed decision.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
alan195 wrote:
The delay was on the M61/ M60 junction. It was 8:30 so it had gone by the time I got there at about 10:00
Is this not exactly TT's argument for only including 'nearby' delays?.
Yes it is. But it doesn't wash for any long lasting incidents - it is a frequent thing that even though an accident may have been cleared up, a road remains closed for forensic examination and any accident worth the name is often good for a few hours. 86 miles is less than two hours away (even for me!!!) AND less than half the journey I'm doing tomorrow - Rochdale and back. And that M1 fire had the M1 shut for days! You wouldn't want to find out about that from only 40-50 miles away with everybody else dragging their way round the local diversions. In my job, it's a losing trip to go less than 50 miles.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was NOT in support of TT. I think their principle is a daft idea. Show you the delays and let you choose whether to ignore them would be my best option, just like my Igo on TMC and my Honda Satnav, also TMC driven.

And just as a matter of interest, why have we got two topics opened on the same thing??? Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main point of contention for me is the fact the service has changed with no mention of a change to what is a subscribed service.

Most of you will either have cable or Sat based TV, imagine what would happen if channels the provider deemed "out of range" were simply denied to you, there would be uproar and a rather hasty change of service provider.

What is a real shame is the only thing going in TomToms favour in terms of an advantage over other products was the HD Traffic, with a reduced range traffic service it's now useless for any distance over 60 miles, radio 5, motorway gantry signs and TMC are a better bet for the long range trips.

I think its time for some answers from TomTom on this subject, namely the degradation in long range perfomance of the subscription based service - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
And just as a matter of interest, why have we got two topics opened on the same thing??? Rolling Eyes
Because this one has actually gone OFF TOPIC!! - it started out as a grump that the HD traffic service was out of service, but when it came back into service a small mention of the distance was enough to get everybody going here. And to be fair, the other topic started as a grump about HD Traffic degradation on the GO1005, whereas many here are concerned about the earlier models suffering the same.

In case you thought so, I was not offering criticism that you might be supporting TT - you made a point and it was entirely accurate and reasonable. There must be loads of people who never even see the reduced distance because they never do more than 50 miles or so. The grumpy beggars here do!

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about locking this thread seeing as the outage is over, and changing the title on the other thread to 'HD Traffic is useless' ??????

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: