Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help need in choosing best TomTom for a year touring Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help need in choosing best TomTom for a year touring Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Help need in choosing best TomTom for a year touring Europe Reply with quote

I would appreciate your help in choosing a replacement for a 920T that has died.

Situation: daughter, following graduation, is taking a year to drive drive with 2 friends, through Europe including Spain, Portugal, France, Italy Austria, Germany, Denmark and low countries.

I need to replace the 920T but which one is best? Most important is ability to add 3rd party POI's, including PGSW cameras and customised warning sounds. And reliability

She would like to be able to update her device during her time away to keep it current by using her laptop (an Apple Mac book pro).

I was looking at buying her a 950 live, same as I have, but having read threads, it would appear that the live 1005 has had the issues resolved re 3rd party poi's and the 825 may also be suitable.

Your advice would be appreciated, as she leaves in August.
GO 920 Dead
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of those would be a suitable replacement, although both the 1005 and 825 are larger screens (5" diagonal) than the 920 you're used to (4.3"), so if you don't need the 5" screen the 950 or the 1000 would do.

The 1000/1005 both have the new "multitouch" screen which is very crisp and bright, but is more reflective and also less sensitive to fingerNAIL taps if you have big fingers like me.

Loudspeaker quality is better on the Go1000/1005 than the 950. I haven't heard the 825, but if it is anything like the new Start25 which it looks similar to, that's awful.

The 825 has a new integrated windscreen mount, which means less to carry around BUT I found these mounts very fiddly to fix as you have to grope behind the main unit to turn the locking ring. The 950 and 1000/1005 mounts are quite similar and both very good.

Currently you still cannot add different maps to the Go 1000/1005 (i.e. a different region from the one that was on it when you bought it). That's not an issue with the Go950.

The 950 has multi-stop itinerary planning (and the ability to save and re-load those itineraries), which has been promised for the others, but hasn't appeared yet.

Routing calculation on the Go1000/1005 is much quicker than on the Go950. I haven't tested the 825 's speed.

Finally, what's wrong with the 920? It might be fixable.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy

Thanks for the in depth response, it looks like the itineries will win for a 950

The 920 was her grandads, and one day it just gave up, with a rather interesting although faint electrical smell coming from it, and a blank well grey LCD screen.
GO 920 Dead
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have the car charger cable that went with the 920 cut it in half and put it in the bin so you never get tempted to use it again, if ithe unit smells of electrical burning its quite possible the feed back cable in the car charger has become open circuit and delivered a full 12V to the device which causes the smoke to escape!

To prevent this happening again cut the car charger lead up and bin it (if you still have it)

950 is a good choice but get a 4GB MicroSD card (class 6) otherwise she will have fun messing around loading zonal maps on a full European tour - Mike
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Thanks for advice

Looks like a 950 will be best bet
GO 920 Dead
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why go for a 950 save your self some money and get the 750 instead if you're only using it in Europe.

They're currently £135 (for a refurbished model) direct from tom Tom themsleves (using a special father's day voucher).

DinAlt
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

950 is a good choice but get a 4GB MicroSD card (class 6) otherwise she will have fun messing around loading zonal maps on a full European tour - Mike

I'm also looking to replace my ailing 730, and the spec listed by the OP is about what I'm looking for. That is:
Ability to load 3rd party POI's, especially PGPSW cameras, icons and sounds.
I would like to have an SD card slot and also live traffic services.bigger screen would be good, but not critical.

I've just been looking at the TomTom site, and I can't see the 950 listed.

Nearest I can see is the 825, but it says that the SD card slot will be software activated during summer 2011. I certainly wouldn't want to buy one on a promise, so has it been done yet?

Advice would be much appreciated, and whilst I am aware that much of the info can be found on this site, I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 950 Live can still be purchased as a new device via Amazon.co.uk for under £190 - Mike
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The 950 Live can still be purchased as a new device via Amazon.co.uk for under £190 - Mike

Mike. Thankyou

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: