Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thinking of buying a TomTom Live 120; good choice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of buying a TomTom Live 120; good choice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieselnutjob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Thinking of buying a TomTom Live 120; good choice? Reply with quote

I have an original TomTom One. It has a 4G SD memory with some very old maps of western Europe.
It overheats and the touchscreen goes berserk.
Lately it won't charge reliably. I fitted a new battery but it made no difference. I think that wiggling the power cable can make a difference so I suspect that the power socket needs re-soldering.

So I am thinking that I need a new unit for summer hols.
My reasoning is that the Live 120 is cheapest unit that has 4G memory. 2G wasn't enough on my One.
I may or may not buy a TMCC cable eventually and at least the Live 120 can do it.
The hands free might be useful if I'm out and about in my classic that has no handsfree but it's not an absolute requirement.

Lastly though, and it's a big problem. One of my cars has an athermic windscreen. The TomTom One needs an external antenna to make it work, which is fine. Another option is the bluetooth GPS receiver that I have in the back window. Do any of the modern TomToms have an antenna socket? Can I use bluetooth GPS instead?

Also I have use pocketgpsworld camera database but I understand from other posts here that these are useable on the Live 120.

Would the Live 120 be a bad choice? Thanks for any help
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's full name is the VIA LIVE 120, if you are looking for deals on the web.

It's not a bad device, and it can take the PGPSW speedcams.

It will use the new MyTomTom PC interface rather then Home, so there is a lot less you can "tinker with" at the moment (no different maps, no downloadable voices etc. but you can add stuff you already had on your ONE, such as voices, POIs etc.

You will probably find that the new models cope with an athermic windscreen OK as they use much ore sensitive GPS chipsets, but that's something you may want to confirm for yourself (find a friendly salesman who will take a demo unit out to your car?)
dieselnutjob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the time being I resoldered the power input socket on my old tomtom one and it seems to be working okay
I have a long road trip on Monday so I'll test it.
I might be able to park this decision for later.
I looked on tomtom's FAQ and it appears that none of the current products have an antenna socket. They recommend using a booster / retransmitter which costs about £50 if I need one.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athermic screen on my Citroen and no problem at all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnutjob wrote:
They recommend using a booster / retransmitter which costs about £50 if I need one.

Considering the GPS Re-Rads are illegal to use in the UK I wouldn't be too quick to try and purchase one, a modern sat nav should be able to cope with athermic coated glass - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: