Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM XL LIVE Splashscreen help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM XL LIVE Splashscreen help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xblackrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM XL LIVE Splashscreen help Reply with quote

I have today purchased a TT XL LIVE and I am seeking a way to change the splash screen to a GIF image I have saved. Everywhere I look it says to locate a file named splashscreen.gif on my TT but I dont have one when i open my TT. The only folder I have mentioning splash is splashw. This has the TT splashcreen picture in it but when I try to copy and paste or to drag my GIF to it, it wont let me. Can anyone help please with an idiots guide to doing this. I AM NOT VERY COMPUTER LITERATE SO PLEASE KEEP IT SIMPLE. Thanks.

Last edited by xblackrat on Fri May 06, 2011 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomToms don't recognize .gif format images, only those that are in .jpg or .bmp format.

Further, the name of the file is splash.bmp or splashw.bmp (if a 4.3" or 5" model).

Save your image in the images folder and use the 'change startup image' option if your unit has that.

You can also go here:
http://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/splash_screen.php

and upload your image to have it saved with the proper name. Select a 720 as your unit as it will save with the 'w' necessary for 4.3 and 5 screens.
xblackrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fault, i should have said I have no folders ending in .bmp I think I said gif. I am not sure what folder to put the new image in.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my TT's are not at hand at the mo, but I'm fairly certain that the .bmp image is stored under /root

by the way, BlackRat = Great cider Wink
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
xblackrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have solved this matter. I backed up the file splashscreen to my desktop and then deleted it from the TT. I then created a new folder and copied and pasted my image into that folder. I then rebooted the tt and my image was there.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you've got it sorted Smile
But for the future, I think (from your posts) that you've got a bit of confusion between the terms "file" and "folder".

Anything that is a FOLDER will usually have the same yellow icon like the ones below.
FILES can have many different icons, depending what windows thinks they are.
Here's a general example (nothing to do with TomTom specifically)...

And here's SOME of the folders and files on my Go940 (folders at the top):

AFAIK, there has never been a FOLDER called "splashw" and no folders on the TomTom have a dot and the three letters after them either.
The FILE called splashw.bmp is what you need to replace.

Are you seeing the three letter extensions to your files? If not you need to set Windows to show them to you....

Quote:
To get Windows to show you the three letter extensions to the file names, do this:
Start either 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' and:
Go to the 'Tools' Menu,
Select 'Folder Options'
Select the 'View' tab
Scroll down the list of entries and UN-tick "Hide extensions for known file types"

When you now look at the list of folders and files you should now see the files are called things like "data.chk" and "splashw.bmp" rather than just "data" and "splashw"

On ALL TomToms the splashscreen picture is a single file in the "root" of the device (i.e. not in any folder) called splashw.bmp for widescreen models and "splash.bmp" for the squarer screens. (it has to be a .bmp format picture and it HAS to be the right size and shape).

On newer models with a photos browser, it's possible to add other named files (.jpg or .bmp format) into the "photos" folder (not "images") and choose one of those to use as your splashscreen from the startup preferences menu.
What happens then is the system REMAKES the chosen file into splash.bmp and places it in the root, where it gets used.

This is the same effect as putting the splashw.bmp file there manually.

You might also be interested in the instructions on the TomTom Create Your Own Content pages, which gives the same instructions in a different way.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: