Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM XL LIVE Speed camera update advice request
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM XL LIVE Speed camera update advice request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xblackrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM XL LIVE Speed camera update advice request Reply with quote

Hi I have bought a TOM TOM XL Live. can anyone give me any advice on what I should do about camera updates bearing in mind that I get a freebee for 12 months of live from TOMTOM. Should I update the cameras through the gps site downloads or should I let live cover the camera updates automatically as I think it does. I don't know very much about live, does it update the cameras and is it reliable \i am a newbee so please keep it simple. Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, for the TomTom-supplied cameras, only the mobile sites are updated via LIVE. For fixed cameras you need to update using a PC and the "Home" utility program.

Secondly, the quality of the TomTom database leaves a LOT to be desired (see dozens of previous topics about it in this forum!).
Even if it is free, there's not a lot of point if you cannot trust it.

How the TT database works:
The fixed cameras are better than they were but there are still cameras missing that have been there for years. No one knows who verifies the correctness of the data.

Temporary average speed camera zones are often VERY late in appearing and are left in their database for months after they have gone again (meaning it bleeps at you continually all the while you are driving at 70 when it thinks you should be doing 50).

Mobile sites are SUPPOSEDLY updated live, so only locations actually manned give warnings. I've NEVER once seen this work.

How the PGPSW database works:
Fixed cameras are damn near 100% accurate and updated weekly. A team of verifiers personally check reports that have any doubt at all.

Average speed zones (motorway roadworks etc.) are always updated within 7 days.

Mobile sites - a different philosophy is used, where ANY site that is know to be "alive" is kept in the database for at least a year, then is removed if there have been no more reports of sightings. Th verifiers check these sites for accuracy too.

By all means use the TT database for your free year, but beware, it's just not very good.

People often try running the TT database AND the PGPSWorld database side-by-side and compare them. They soon turn off the TT one.

----------------------

Finally, don't forget these two differences as well...

Subscribers to the PGPSW database have the opportunity to get FREE lifetime updates simply by being the first to report a new or changed camera (with some terms and conditions!)

As it uses the POI system, the PGPSW database can have user-set warning distances (different for every speed and camera type) and voice warnings (e.g. "Warning - GATSO ahead, 40 mile per hour limit" etc. sort of thing), the TomTom system only "bleeps" at you!
xblackrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information it was great. As I said I am not computer literate so could I ask that you give me an idiots guide to turning off the tomtom cameras and installing the pgpsw and setting it up. Thanks again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To turn off the TomTom-supplied cameras...

The exact menu items varies on the different models, but on the XL Live IQ, go to the main menu 1 of 2, select "Live Services", then "Safety alerts" on the next screen. then "Disable alerts" on the next screen.

To install the PGPSW database...
Go back to the compatibility table we were talking about and look for TomTom XL LIVE (yes, it still says One XL LIVE, but that's being changed).
In the right hand column are two links, one to to the installation instructions and the other to a video guide which may be helpful.

Ask again if you get stuck.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: