Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 3760/3790 Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 3760/3790 Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smilodon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 3760/3790 Questions Reply with quote

I am a current Garmin Zumo 660 owner and am considering trying a Nuvi 3760/3790 with a custom mount as a replacement on my motorcycle.

The setup I am planning involves mounting the unit on my back for use by the motorcycle passenger. Obviously, if I were mounting the unit on the motorcycle itself, the Zumo I already have would be perfect for this. However, the thin/light form factor of the new Nuvi would be a big improvement in my application.

I was wondering if there were any owners out there that could answer a few questions.

1) Can this device be used effectively without the included car mount. Can you power it with the microUSB connector only, or is this just for the traffic (like the Zumo).

2) Speaking of traffic. Can you power/use the unit with a standard microUSB cable without using the traffic cable at all?

3) Can the spoken directions be heard through a bluetooth headset (not a phone, just the headset). I was planning on paring with my motorcycle intercom headset.

4) Can the voice commands be recognized from a bluetooth headset. Again, planning on using motorcycle intercom headset here.

5) Will the type of touchscreen used on this unit work through a waterproof container?

Thanks in advance for any information you could provide. I have looked at the unit physically at the local electronics store, but detailed technical information was not available.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car mount contains a speaker, although you could put th esupplied mount on to a Brodit/ Pr-Clip supplied "ball" then fit this to a RAM mount for your motorbike.

It won't route audio out via Bluetooth and neither will accept voice control via Bluetooth, you could modify the supplied mount to fit an audio output socket to it and dump resistor then hard wire the audio output to the motorbikes audio system.

For power it is possible to use a standard Mini USB 5V DC addaptor plugged in to the mount for an alternate solution.

To be honest its going to take quite a bit of customisation to get something like the 3790T working on a Motorbike, not impossible but certainly not easy - Mike
Smilodon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The car mount contains a speaker, although you could put th esupplied mount on to a Brodit/ Pr-Clip supplied "ball" then fit this to a RAM mount for your motorbike.

It won't route audio out via Bluetooth and neither will accept voice control via Bluetooth, you could modify the supplied mount to fit an audio output socket to it and dump resistor then hard wire the audio output to the motorbikes audio system.

For power it is possible to use a standard Mini USB 5V DC addaptor plugged in to the mount for an alternate solution.

To be honest its going to take quite a bit of customisation to get something like the 3790T working on a Motorbike, not impossible but certainly not easy - Mike

Yeah, as stated, want the thin form factor so I can mount the unit on my back, not on the bike, so RAM, balls and other mounts are not helpful. I just wanted to use the thin unit itself with a cable for power.

I was hoping for something that I could just plug into USB with no mount and then place in holder on my back for passenger use. While listening to the voice notifications via our bluetooth headsets.

I saw the usb plug on the unit and knew it had bluetooth, so was hopeful.

I have a setup like this for the Zumo 660 (although using my older wired headsets) mounted in a thin "hydration"-type backpack. It works well, but is bulky and heavy.

Hmmm... Wonder what else might do the trick? If I could find some way to use/charge the Zumo 660 without a mount, that might be a start.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smilodon wrote:
Hmmm... Wonder what else might do the trick? If I could find some way to use/charge the Zumo 660 without a mount, that might be a start.

you could remove the arm/ball from the mount and just have the 'cradle' attached to the nuvi? it would then charge properly instead of going into 'computer mode'

see pics here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/garmin-nuvi-3790t/mount-rear.jpg

here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/garmin-nuvi-3790t/mount.jpg

and here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/garmin-nuvi-3790t/fm-lead.jpg

MaFt
Smilodon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Smilodon wrote:

you could remove the arm/ball from the mount and just have the 'cradle' attached to the nuvi? it would then charge properly instead of going into 'computer mode'

see pics here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/garmin-nuvi-3790t/mount-rear.jpg

here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/garmin-nuvi-3790t/mount.jpg

and here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/garmin-nuvi-3790t/fm-lead.jpg

MaFt

Unfortunately, the news that the new Nuvi won't send voice notifications to a bluetooth headset, means I'm back to my Zumo. I might try stripping down one of the mounts that come with the Zumo to make something a little lighter.

I was just hoping that the new, wonder-thin Nuvi would slip into a little packet on my back, and be nice and light with no wires other than a slim USB power cable.

The Zumo is a relative tank by comparison. Made for mounting on a bike dash in the rain wind and snow, it is kind of overkill for my application.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: