Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloading problems for Speed camera's to my Garmin 255wt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading problems for Speed camera's to my Garmin 255wt
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Downloading problems for Speed camera's to my Garmin 255wt Reply with quote

I have just tried to download The UK & EUR camera's using the Garmin POI loader and following the PocketgpsWorld instructions which I printed off and ticked as I progressed. All went well and the download seemed to complete except that a warning notice came up on the Garmin POI loader stating "There was an unexpected error during the transfer of the custom POI file". Do I need to download again, and if so do I have to remove the problem databases first, and how do I do that?
TIA
wrinklyrocker
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to delete anything as the Garmin POILoader always overwrites.

Let's take it a step at a time. Can you retry but this time just install the UK cameras?
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Downloading Speed Camara's alerts Reply with quote

Hi Darren
Thanks for your response. I have just tried downloading only the UK Speed Camera POI's and I received the same message. I took the car out for a trial run after my earlier download and some camera alerts came up, but I am not sure if they are my original Garmin ones or the new ones. One thing for sure was I had no audible warnings on some. One the SatNav itself a folder called “debug” containing a Garmin error document which consists of a 3 A4 page multi line computer jargon, which means nothing to me. If an e-mail address exists that I can send this to as a “Word” attachment then I will gladly do so. I am not due to go to France until Easter so no panic on my part.
Thanks again,
wrinklyrocker
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The debug file would be of no use to us.

Can we start from the beginning.

You download the database, extract it, and then copy the contents into a folder on your PC. Then you run POILoader and point it at that folder - OK so far?

Can you tell me the names of a few of the files in that folder please?

You should be seeing something like:

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.csv
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.csv

And if you have downloaded voice files there will be an additional file for each speed:

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.mp3 or pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.wav
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Downloading UK Speed Camera's Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
There are a total of 60 files plus “Help”, license and release files. The 60 files consist of “Microsoft Excel comma separated values files” and BMP's in equal numbers but no .csv extensions as far as I can see. I did not download any voice files as I thought a tone warning would be standard.
Thanks again
wrinklyrocker
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Downloading UK Speed Camera's Reply with quote

wrinklyrocker wrote:
There are a total of 60 files plus “Help”, license and release files. The 60 files consist of “Microsoft Excel comma separated values files” and BMP's in equal numbers but no .csv extensions as far as I can see. I did not download any voice files as I thought a tone warning would be standard.

That sound about right then. Unless you have your computer configured to show file extensions you won't see the .bmp or .csv bits of the filenames.

As a .csv file is a format used by Excel, Windows shows it as an Excel file, that's perfectly normal.

And yes, if you don't add a voice alert you get the built-in tone, I'd got confused as to whether you had chosen a voice alert file as well - sorry!

Ok, so that's all OK.

Next questions:

Is this a new version of POILoader?

Was it downloaded recently?

And when you run it, do you select the folder that has all the POIs in?

And does POILoader detect your GPS ok?

Sorry for the interrogation but often it's something simple so we just need to get a mental picture of what you are doing.
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Downloading Speed Camera's to Garmin 255wt Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
Thanks for your perseverance, it is appreciated.
First may I say that my operating system is Windows XP
POIloader was downloaded from your site on24/01/2011 and installed it the same day.
The Speed camera POI’s were extracted to a new dedicated folder on Desktop and I selected it when required by POIloader.
POIloader found my Garmin appliance automatically.

Feel free to interrogate, I am just grateful for your help

wrinklyrocker
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a correction there, POILoader would have come from Garmin, not us. The link may be on our instructions page but the file comes from them.

I'm at a loss now as to what to try next, hoping someone else who has more Garmin experience can chip in!
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Problem with speed camera downloads Reply with quote

Hi Darren
Thanks for trying, I think its a magic wand I need. I had no problems a few years ago when I had a Navigon SatNav, so I imagine its me I will try my wifes Garmin 255wt and see how that goes.
Thanks again
wrinklyrocker Confused
dikyenfo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 255w and thanks to help on here have separate files for uk and eur files so I can extract the speed cams in correct factors. BUT, the same thing happened to me when downloading and the error message popped up.
What causes mine to react like that is the poxy bar on the top which states that the download has been blocked for my safety and if I dont react immediatly it errors. However it never goes wrong for me when I use the link on the download page that you can use if you are having difficulties.
This works for me hope it can for you as I'm as thick as aplank with computers.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot remember if Windows XP has these settings on the System. But I know that in Vista if they are not set to Started then PoiLoader does some strange things.

If these 2 settings are there just make sure they show Started.

Not even sure how you open the Services page in XP. Sorry its been so long since I used XP. But you may be able to open Services by doing a Ctrl Alt Del then select Start Task Manager, then select the Services Tab on Task Manager, then you may be able to open the Services page from button on the bottom right of that page. Once opened just make sure that
the 2 entries show below are Started.

Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity
Windows Mobile-based device connectivity

Hope that helps eliminate that part of the problem.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dikyenfo wrote:
What causes mine to react like that is the poxy bar on the top which states that the download has been blocked for my safety and if I dont react immediatly it errors.
in IE8 Click Tools - Internet Options - Security tab - {Make sure that Internet is selected} Click 'Custom Level'. You should now have the 'Security settings - Internet zone' dialog box open.
Scroll down ro the 'Downloads' section. Check 'Automatic prompting for file downloads' to 'Disable' then OK your way out,
This should get rid of the top warning bar, but you will still get the 'Open - Save - Cancel' dialog when you go to download a file. But be aware that you will no longer have Microsoft's poxy safety net.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, the OP has downloaded the files successfully, would IE Security have any effect on POILoader itself? As that is where the issue is arising Confused
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Off topic. Wrong again. Embarassed But my suggestion does do what it says on the tin, and was a reply to the problem that I perceived that dikyenfo was having, as his description seemed paraphrases almost exactly what IE does when you go to download a file.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Guys, the OP has downloaded the files successfully, would IE Security have any effect on POILoader itself? As that is where the issue is arising Confused

Not unless POILoader is web based now. Always was an executable program in the past.

WR - Have you contacted Garmin with the debug log as they are the only people who can interpret it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: