Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recognising SD map cards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recognising SD map cards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it might be a physical dimension tolerance thing, where your card works in other Active-10 units and all other cards work in your unit, but not your card in your unit.

Sounds very frustrating. I've had signal plugs like that, where one combination would not work properly together and caused errors.

Let us know the outcome if you do send it back Mike...
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Post 1.4 upgrade, one of my cards (out of 3) would no longer be seen on boot up but worked fine after removing and re-inserting. The other cards were fine. 1.42 did not solve either so I assumed that it was th card but Satmap insisted that I update the platform first. They sent me a new platform SD card foc to try, which arrived today, and now everything seems to be fine.
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevendunn99 wrote:
They sent me a new platform SD card foc to try, which arrived today, and now everything seems to be fine.

Yes, this was a recognised problem and obviously one that was solved with the platform upgrade. Unfortunately my problem doesn't seem to fall into any logical category. I can't for example even get it working by inserting and reinserting the card. Despite having all the software upgrades of v1.42 and 09.02.21 my card still stubbornly refuses to be recognised. Although on just one occasion after the upgrades it did work (as it occasionally did previously), so I suppose it still can be classified as intermittent.

On Satmap's advice, I am sending both map card and unit back to them on Monday. I'll post the result of their examination when known.
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further Update to Map Problem Saga:
Fantastic service from Satmap - posted unit and map card to Satmap on Monday, and have just received them back in this morning's post. I've since spent the rest of the morning testing and retesting, and the hitherto non-recognition problem with this one map card (OS GB South) has now apparently been resolved.

However, I'm no nearer getting a definitive answer as to what caused the problem, or indeed why I apparently had two consecutively 'duff' map cards, as that is what I can only conclude lay at the heart of the ongoing problem. Quoting from Satmap's report, they say:

Quote:
GB South map card has been reproduced on a new card by the mapping team and it's now being detected by the unit. Have also reinstalled 1.42 software on unit.

Which I'm sure is exactly what they did to the map card on the first occasion when I sent just that item in. I guess the reinstallation of the 1.42 software was done as a precautionary measure rather than because it was corrupt or had failed, which leaves just the map card as the prime suspect. Although one can't completely rule out the 1.42 software either. At least there's a happy ending! Great customer support from Satmap - it really is their trump card, together with a fantastic product.
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem after upgrading to 1.4. I note that other users had their problem fixed "under warranty" by Satmap but my Satmap is outside warranty so I dont know where that leaves me.

I will ring them tomorrow.

Peter
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that I rang Satmap yesterday and today a new platform SD card arrived in the post (no charge)

Even better - it has fixed the problem. The whole-GB SD card is now recognisd and the Active 10 switches on almost instantaneously. There are also a number of other improvements that make the platform upgrade worthwhile.

Thanks Satmap for excellent service and a fantastic piece of kit.

Peter
paulr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem since updating to 1.42. Two cards not being recognised. Satmap have sent me the upgrade SD card but this hasn't sorted the problem. Need to send cards/unit off to satmap. Keeping fingers crossed!
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulr wrote:
I'm having the same problem since updating to 1.42. Two cards not being recognised. Satmap have sent me the upgrade SD card but this hasn't sorted the problem. Need to send cards/unit off to satmap. Keeping fingers crossed!

Would appreciate an update on this in due course Paul, as this seems pretty close to what my problem was. I expect you'll get two new map cards though!
paulr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeofDorset wrote:
paulr wrote:

Would appreciate an update on this in due course Paul, as this seems pretty close to what my problem was. I expect you'll get two new map cards though!

Yep, no problem. All boxed up and ready to post off tomorrow. I'll update as things develop.
dungbeetle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Just some information/feedback on this topic.

Our Active 10 recently decided that it didn't like our 1:25k Kent Explorer map card any more.

I spoke to the folks at SatMap over the 'phone and they said it would be OK to try backing up the card, reformatting it and then reloading the map, CID and Licence files to see if it could be fixed without having to send the card back to them.

I did this and now the Active 10 recognises the card again.

So, reformatting might be worth a shot if you're having this problem, however I think it's worth clearing it with the SatMap people first, just in case it doesn't work and you still have to send the card back to them after you've tried.
paulr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulr wrote:
MikeofDorset wrote:
paulr wrote:

Yep, no problem. All boxed up and ready to post off tomorrow. I'll update as things develop.

Sorry about my late reply!

The unit was checked and the latest software update added. Apparently it is/was a software bug that Satmap are/were aware of and hope to resolve with a future software update.
outdoorsdel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Recognising SD map cards Reply with quote

I had this problem with the Snowdonia map and was told it was a problem with the latest upgrade. The card was replaced free of charge.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-recognition SD Map Card Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
lucevans wrote:
If you have ALL* of the files from the map card backed-up somewhere safe, you could try reformatting the SD card using a PC and card reader then copy the files back on to it. N.B. This will only work with the original SD card as each map is locked to the physical card's ID number. Try this at your own risk!!

That is indeed the process I was informed by Satmap is advisable i.e. they said it was a good idea to back up the official content of your mapcard in case the SD card got corrupted. You could then reformat it and re-install the map data back onto it (but not onto any other SD card, as lucevans correctly says.)

Does this mean that if I do as above, I could actually include some of my other maps as well, onto one card ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: