Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sorry a few questions GO720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry a few questions GO720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sturgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Sorry a few questions GO720 Reply with quote

Having recently changed my car which no longer has a built in sat nav, have to say the Honda system is good, so I am back to using my trusted Go720.

I am running App8.351 with Map v815.2003, which is fairly old not sure how old, as v860 is the latest I think and use TMC which works well so far. So my questions are:

1. I currently have Advance Lane Guidence which I got with help from here many moons ago to update firmware before taking advantage of latest map offer, helps a lot in France, if I upgrade to the latest map will it still have Lane Guidence?

2. Due to new map size could I put the map on a SD Card but keep the firmware on the device or is it best to put everything on the SD Card and clear the device?

3. Is there anything else I should look at updating, I will re-subscribe to the speed camera database.

Sorry if this is simple but not used the TT in anger for awhile.

Cheers
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, ALG will be on the new map as well

2. Yep, use at least a 4-gig sdhc (not sd) card from well known card makers, the faster the class, the better (class 6 or higher is good). If you get, say, an 8 gig sdhc card, that'll offer plenty of space for maps (plural) and lots of mp3 files, if you so desire. Just make sure the mp3 files are in a folder called mp3 on the card.

3. You have the 'latest' application, though it's been around since May, 2009 and won't ever get updated. Always a good idea to make an Explorer, not Home, backup prior to a major update, such as a map.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case, be prepared. I have recently (in the last 2 months) "Lost" TMC on both my 730 and 930 in Spain and France. I have no ideas why but it appears to be a common theme in the UK too at the moment. The usual mantra applies:- Do a WinExp back up of your existing set-up before upgrading - as per dhn above.

EDIT _ P.S. many thanks for posting a x20/x30 related question. It feels like being a dinosaur in the wilderness with most people talking about "1005 this" or "...Live that".
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
It feels like being a dinosaur in the wilderness with most people talking about "1005 this" or "...Live that".

Doesn't it just! What with the newer models, iPhones and Androids I find there's very little I can contribute to these days. Sad

But I still love my 720 and have neither the need, nor the funds, nor the desire to "upgrade".
Samsung Galaxy S21
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
But I still love my 720 and have neither the need, nor the funds, nor the desire to "upgrade".
Ditto that with my 910. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry a few questions GO720 Reply with quote

sturgi wrote:
Having recently changed my car which no longer has a built in sat nav, have to say the Honda system is good, so I am back to using my trusted Go720.

I am running App8.351 with Map v815.2003, which is fairly old not sure how old, as v860 is the latest I think and use TMC which works well so far. So my questions are:

1. I currently have Advance Lane Guidence which I got with help from here many moons ago to update firmware before taking advantage of latest map offer, helps a lot in France, if I upgrade to the latest map will it still have Lane Guidence?

2. Due to new map size could I put the map on a SD Card but keep the firmware on the device or is it best to put everything on the SD Card and clear the device?

3. Is there anything else I should look at updating, I will re-subscribe to the speed camera database.

Sorry if this is simple but not used the TT in anger for awhile.

Cheers
I have a 4gb card with the USA map and the complete Western Europe map which has my European cameras, POIs etc for when I go to France. And I have the Western Zone map on the device with the UK cameras and POIs etc for use in the UK. that saves me having to load and unload the POIs.

I echo AliOnHols & Anita's comments. I still visit the site but don't really understand most threads now, but those I do understand still convince me that I have the best device.
sturgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates, we also run a 710 which my wife uses from time to time. I work on the if it ain't broke don't fix it, plus all the new TT have so much more that could go wrong. I like simple Very Happy

As my map is 2 years old now is it worth getting the v860 with a tenner off or waiting for the new maps or even just keep my 2 year old one for now.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
many thanks for posting a x20/x30 related question. It feels like being a dinosaur in the wilderness with most people talking about "1005 this" or "...Live that".

Everyone remembers that dinosaurs were wiped out by some elimination event. They forget that they were very succesful as a species and were around for many 100,000 years more than Humans have been so far. I love both my solid old devices.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sturgi wrote:
....As my map is 2 years old now is it worth getting the v860 with a tenner off or waiting for the new maps or even just keep my 2 year old one for now.

Personally, I would not bother with a Map Update. The road systems in France are pretty much as they were a couple of years ago and if a new road has been built it is fairly obvious and well sign-posted, just follow the other drivers until the SatNav catches up.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: