Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1690 - "Fuel" POIs seem to include shops...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1690 - "Fuel" POIs seem to include shops...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spl23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: 1690 - "Fuel" POIs seem to include shops... Reply with quote

As the subject, really - I bought a 1690 yesterday, and am very impressed so far - a major upgrade over my old 360, and much better than the rubbish TomTom Go Live 1000 that I used for a day last week before sending it back for a refund...

One oddity - if you look in the "Fuel" category under the standard POIs, or in "Fuel" under "Where Am I?", it does list the occasional petrol station, but lists an awful lot more shops that don't have petrol stations anywhere near them. Which makes this category a bit useless if you are actually running out of petrol and need a garage... The "Fuel Prices" category under "Where To" does list only petrol stations, so there is a way of finding fuel if you need it, but does anyone know why Garmin seem to have lumped "petrol stations" and "shops" in the same category and called it "Fuel"? Or do I have an option set wrongly somewhere?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of shops? Are they not supermarkets with a petrol station, like my local Sainsburys and Morrisons?

You could just download the PGPSW Petrol Station POI and use that instead. Pre-installed POIs seem to be an "issue" with all brands of Sat Nav.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps the shops sell sunflower oil for diesel cars... Laughing ??

MaFt
spl23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
What sort of shops? Are they not supermarkets with a petrol station, like my local Sainsburys and Morrisons?

No - I could understand it if that was the case! Near me the listings include several local Co-Ops and a couple of One-Stop places - the local mini-supermarket / convenience store 24-hour type places. No trace of petrol anywhere near them.

I've logged a bug report with Garmin, and will see what they say.
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, but my 3790T still lists Woolworth stores and it even navigated me to the middle of a housing estate when I wanted to go to a Matalan store.
The keyword seems to be unreliable. Oh, and inaccurate. Hmmm and misleading.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter whether you are using TA or NT maps the built in POI files supplied with the maps are crap in terms of content and accuracy, I would like to see both companies improve their maps rather than concentrate on putting right the POI files which they will never get right due to constant change. The system opperated by this site as well as some others uses submissions by the membership to improve accuracy, with thousands of potential users the accuracy cannot be beaten - If you want decent accurate POI data simply download it from "hobby sites" the data is second to none and really shouldn't be compared to the rubbish sold with a device - Mike
travisb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which begs the question; How are they allowed to get away with supplying such inaccurate info?

Surely they test it? Wink
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of replacing my TT GO950, that continually locks up, with a Garmin 1695.

I would like to disable some of the POIs already installed by Garmin. Is this possible?

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC it's imbedded in the map data and so not removable. However it's easy to add your own POIs from here and just ignore the Garmin offering...
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use the Google Search sub-category under POI's, my personal preference now. That brings up a two-tab screen with one showing Garmin results and the other Google's. No need to do two separate searches, with both sets of results on the same screen. I really like the way Garmin has integrated Google Local into their POI searches. Done much better than with TomTom.
tonyhallam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the word FUEL is the problem, many sat nav manufacturers include shops or businesses that supply propane gas cylinders and batteries !!
KenHS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using my Nuvi 310 for "years" but purchased the lifetime map update offering recently. The latest offering has the Fuel category all messed up as described but on previous maps and the first two lifetime updates it was OK. Hopefully they will just put fuel stations in FUEL on the next update. Using POI's from PGPSworld for specific brands seems better anyway. I trust the "lifetime" on the 310 will go on a long time more.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: