Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fixed sat nav support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixed sat nav support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Fixed sat nav support Reply with quote

Having always owned Tom Tom from early days I now have a vehicle with built in Sat Nav. Its a new Hyundai i35 and I was wondering
1. Can I update the system with any of the downloads on the GPS site
2. Is it possible to update the maps via the Internet as you can with "movable units"

Information seems scarce on the built in units but I would appreciate any advice on the subject
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help with the model you have, but I've moved your post to the "Factory-Fitted satnav" section, and also left a link to it in the original place, in the hope it's seen by more people.
(only subscribers to the site would see it in the forum section you put it in originally)
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Sorry I can't help with the model you have, but I've moved your post to the "Factory-Fitted satnav" section, and also left a link to it in the original place, in the hope it's seen by more people.
(only subscribers to the site would see it in the forum section you put it in originally)

Thanks Andy not sure of my bearings on the site ( need sat nav!!!)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more details on the actual unit fitted would all help to identify it.

Are there any names or logos on the start up screen for example, or any menu screens with copyright notices, or even an instruction book?
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot pass on any more info as the car does not arrive until Thursday,
Will try to get more info and post it when I can
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does not seem to be any reference as to what the unit is but the mapping system is Nav-Tec.
The site just refers to the maps but does not indicate whether POI's can be added or even sound
Any assistance appreciated
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Any more details on the actual unit fitted would all help to identify"
I have spoken to Hyundai now and they confirm the hardware is an LG unit and the software is Navtec.
Its not a very friendly system ( maybe having used a Tom Toms for 5 years its awkward) I do not trust it and am using the Tom Tom as well as some of the routes it comes up with are miles out of the way.
I was wondering if I plugged my PC into the USB port and I could see see the software, would it be feasable to delete it and copy my tom-tom maps across so the built in system would replace my existing Tom Tom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, even now, the ability to add custom POIs is rare on a built-in navigation system. A small number do have the ability, and an even smaller number have the ability to warn as well.

I'm told the issue is the very long lead times when designing and building a car. The spec is locked in at such an early stage to ensure all the various parts are certified etc that the result in the fast moving arena of SatNav is a product that is years behind the state of the art as seen in PNDs.

TomTom have struck deals with a number of manufacturers to incorporate their products into the dash and are unusual in offering designs that are current and fully featured.

So the answer is that support for POIs is unlikely albeit not impossible but that even where it is catered for, you may find the usability of your TomTom is preferable to the admitted convenience of the built-in unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: