Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please at least report the issues to TomTom as they won't do anything without knowing the issues exist. The only issue I have is the 3-4 minute delay before the traffic bar appears. However trying to get TT to understand the problem and the fact it's not just me is prooving difficult. I'm just being told to reinstall the NavCore over and over which of course doesn't fix it.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial startup delay on Live Services is also a major issue for me.

This also manifests itself in that if it loses connection such as a GPRS blackspot, it takes as long again to re-establish itself and the data.

To compound this, when it loses data connection, it clears all the current traffic information from the device leaving you without any traffic information at all until a connection is re-established. The worst example of where this always happens is Northbound through the Dartford Tunnel with a major decision junction (A13 to A406 vs M25) around a mile away and it does not restablish connection before then.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something odd is going on because this long delay you are reporting is not universal... It's MUCH shorter for me.

I just checked again, and on my 940 and 950 both running v9.058 the Traffic Bar appears on screen after almost exactly 20 seconds.
After that there's usually about another minute or two before the actual traffic details arrive (1'58" on today's test).
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm TT's fix is to backup, reset the device and re-log into LIVE Services. Which didn't work on the 2 occassions i tried.

Under NC 8.x it always appears in the first 2-3 seconds after the map appears and then usually logged in in under 30 seconds - unless it was a "bad day". Now i have to wait 3-4 minutes for the bar to even appear....

I'll try another reset later or tomorrow but i'm not hopefull.

Timed run (mm:ss)

Switch on = 00:00
Map Appears = 00:10
GPS Lock = 00:14 (Indoors!!)
Traffic Bar Appears = 02:43
Traffic Logged In = 03:15
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sometimes wonder what we could achieve with all our extra free time if we didn't own TomToms....
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I do sometimes wonder what we could achieve with all our extra free time if we didn't own TomToms....

Studying maps for hours before your journey?

;-)
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest I have timed my GO740LIVE and found the following;

Timed at 17:00
Switch On = 00:00
Map Appears = 00:09
GPS Lock = 00:11 (Indoors)
Traffic Logged In = 04:51

Timed at 18:00
GPS Lock = 00:32 (Indoors)
Traffic Bar Appears = 02:58
Traffic Logged In = 10:00 plus, still trying to connect to server!!!!

Timed at 19:00
GPS Lock = 00:27 (Indoors)
Traffic Bar Appears = 02:41
Traffic Logged In = 04:31

So, I guess I'll always see my map after 9 seconds. Assuming I've already had a lock in my current location, I can expect GPS lock in 30 seconds or under. Traffic bar appears always in under 3 minutes, and traffic log in under 5 minutes. I'll try again at the weekend in a different location to my home.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Hmmm TT's fix is to backup, reset the device and re-log into LIVE Services. Which didn't work on the 2 occassions i tried.

Under NC 8.x it always appears in the first 2-3 seconds after the map appears and then usually logged in in under 30 seconds - unless it was a "bad day". Now i have to wait 3-4 minutes for the bar to even appear....

I'll try another reset later or tomorrow but i'm not hopefull.

Timed run (mm:ss)

Switch on = 00:00
Map Appears = 00:10
GPS Lock = 00:14 (Indoors!!)
Traffic Logged In = 03:15

My experience with 540 and v9.058 is that it sometimes connects as quickly as with v8.371 but sometimes more slowly. The very first time i tried it, the traffic bar appeared about 5 seconds after the map, and the traffic info appeared about 30 secs later. The next time was very different, the bar appeared after about 2-3mins then took another 1-2 mins to download the info. Unfortunately I tend to get the slow experience more often than the quick one (about 5:1).

I also had the situation this morning when it lost the connection and all the traffic info disappeared. It then proceeded to calculate a new "Fastest" route - taking me straight back into all the delays. Luckily it reconnected quite quickly and then showed I had a 75min delay on this new route. After about 3 mins it then recalcualated a route taking into account the traffic info and put me back on the origianl diversion route! This would have been a disaster if the connection had stayed down for much longer.

I think that v8.371 didn't do this. If you lost the connection it kept you on the same route on the assumption the delays were still there.

On a positive note, v9.058 seems much more stable when used as Hands-free for my phone.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The network connects immediately so the device is not waiting for the network. The delay seems to be after this and NO Live Services will work for around 3 minutes. If you try any you get the cannot connect to live services.

It makes no difference having sat lock, a route planned or starting from standby or a reset.

There is also the issue that the traffic bar spins its wheel icon, then it goes to a traffic bar with a straight white line then a minute later the icons and delays appear.

Is there a realtionship between the people who get the 3 minute delay and those who previously had the 1008 SIM error with 1.054? I had both issues.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more annoying is that my Go was showing many traffic delays on my route and now it is showing none, but the TT Routes on the web (J22-J24 clockwise on M25) is showing delays and also the JAM CAMs (J23) are showing near stationary traffic. No doubt I will soon get stuck in it.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed another oddity with 9.058 today. I was not getting my POI warnings today even though my POIs were all set up to warn. I looked under settings at show POI on map and they were all ticked but on the next screen where it comes up with the "Show on 3D" and "Show on 2D", neither was ticked although I had previously ticked the "Show on 2D" box. Once I ticked the 2D box again, my POI warnings started working again.

HD traffic had loads of not connecting to the server around 9:15 this morning whilst other Live Services were working.
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to time my GO740LIVE today, away from home, so it had no idea where I was.

GPS Lock = 02:43
Traffic Bar Appears = 03:51
Traffic Logged In = 04:55

So times were pretty much the same as when trying it at home in a known location; but here's the amazing thing; I was sitting on a train travelling at 106MPH!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most trains capable of over 100MPH these days are fitted with Athermic coated glass side windows which will attenuate the GPS signal. Combine this fact with fairly high speed with a metal roof I think the 2:43 to acquire a signal is actually quite good.

A couple of years ago you wouldn't have got a signal at all - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we still don't know why the traffic bar is taking so long to appear for some people.
davedoubledecks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
HD traffic had loads of not connecting to the server around 9:15 this morning whilst other Live Services were working.

Ive had the same today and my work colleage too. Problem with Live services I think.
Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 11 of 21

Jump to: