Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One comes to the irresistible conclusion that Tomtom regards us as little more than a vast unpaid army of beta testers. No, strike that, alpha testers.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mr T. It's not a feature I use much but the work-around is helpful.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update you further I am now out in Mallorca in Spain (I arrived early yesterday morning) and the v9.058 firmware is working flawlessly out here and has had zero problems with roaming for those parts of the Live services (Google Local Search and Weather) that do work out in Spain despite TomTom mysteriously still not yet having launched HD Traffic here (Vodafone is one of the largest mobile networks in Spain and this is a large country with two big cities so why did Portugal get HD Traffic ages ago while Spain has not). Also the logon time to the TomTom Live servers out here (scrolling white circle on the right of the navigation screen in the blue bar) is much faster than back in the UK with v9.058 so I suspect that the cludgey workaround that takes ages to connect only operates when 940 units find themselves talking to UK Vodafone mobile masts (which are presumably configured differently for GPRS access compared to mainland Europe)

I also found that I got satellite lock and the new Spanish map area (compared to the old one I had left at Gatwick) showing on screen when I first operated it out here in Mallorca far faster than under the v8.371 Navcore. Before it could take up to two to three minutes in clear line of sight of the satellites for satlock to be found in the new area when I moved countries after a flight but now finding satlock again seemed to be almost instant.

So the remaining problem that TomTom's developers have to solve in the next release of this Navcore for x40 series units (I'm taking it as read that x50 series units and XL Live units are not suffering this problem with Navcore v9.058) is with the fuel prices aspect of Live Services in the UK. If this is selected the normal way while in the UK through Navigate To/Point Of Interest/POI Near You and Petrol Station then in the UK I was repeatedly getting brownish red error warning screens saying that the unit could not log on to the network with v 9.058, even though some fuel price information was still then shown (but those could probably have been static prices downloaded by TomTom Home on to the unit as a backup). Also there seems to be an issue with showing the phone number and address on the individual petrol stations with the i button, probably for the same reason (i.e. that it cannot get any network access from the fuel prices section of the firmware). Neither of these things were a problem with Navcore v8.371.

I drove about 130km out here in Spain yesterday for two hours and did not get any map freezes or reboots at all on the way. Admittedly there are only a very small number of Pocket GPS GATSO and mobile camera warnings on Mallorca and this no doubt helps.

Finally I notice that the mobile Network strength screen is still accessible in this firmware but instead of being a button on the satellite signal strength screen as it was before you now get there through Status & Information then Version Information and finally Network.
maya
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I have go 740 live. After installing 9.058 looks like everything is ok. (UK&RoI 855.2448). Live is working etc. but Im not sure about it. Yesterday, I drove from south to central London (Covent Garden). On start (live is on after 5 mins) nav show me that I will drive 60 minutes. No traffic on route. After I came close destination I got stuck in traffic and after all my journey was 105 minutes long. Live does not show any info or change my route. Something like that never happend on older navcore. If on planning time it show me that I will drive for 3 hours then that was real 3 hours not more or less. This one was just adding minutes to arrival time. For me looks like the rote is planned and after live starting it does not change anything. I did replanning etc but nothing have change on that route. Is live working but not cooperating with map/route/iq ? Sorry for english (is not my first language) Anyone found something like that? thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed to work fine driving through Newcastle on busy afternoon last week. Delays were accurate and the time changed accordingly.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown icon? Reply with quote

jimtech wrote:
I'm now happily running the new version, but I have one question:
On the horizontal status bar, at the left-hand end, there is a small up-arrow, just above the current speed indication.
Can anyone tell me what this arrow indicates? It doesn't seem to be there if I switch the status bar to vertical mode.

Late on the scene as I've been away, but I can clear this one up....

The icon in the left hand panel is not an "up-arrow", it's an icon of the CAR cursor!

The idea is that the left panel is what's happening NOW, the centre panel is for the instructions and what's NEXT and the right panel (with the chequered flag icon)is things to do with the DESTINATION - time of arrival, distance to get there etc.

I guess it isn't there with a vertical status bar simply because they don't have so much space available.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I have just noticed somthing else odd about the petrol and show info button, all the ones that show info are labelled Petrol station and have a petrol pump icon. The ones which do not show info are FuelStationEU and have a petrol pump icon with a dollar sign against it.

For many stations there are both types at virtually the same point with the same name, so there is some sort of database error here.

Not a database error per se, but the fact there are two completely different databases being used - the standard "Petrol Station" POIs supplied with the unit and the LIVE Services Fuel Prices (that's the one with the dollar sign)

I'm actually surprised you are seeing them both now. That's what USED to happen, but recently they have been using a sneaky way round it where if there was a 'Fuel Prices' petrol station shown they hid ALL other POIs in a certain radius. This disguised the problem with their own petrol stations POIs, but also wrecked the display of all the other POIs! (I reported that the PGPSW fuel POIs were being hidden by it here: WARNING - TomTom's fuel POIs can disrupt the Camera warnings)

Maybe they have seen sense and dropped the idea.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is only on a search by distance for petrol that they do not mask the certain POIs or the other thing I noticed is that the same petrol station is not in the same place, possibly two hundred yards out.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry, I meant to point out more obviously in my last post that both databases are as bad as each other!

Riddled with errors.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I have also given up on Tomtom's restaurant POIs, having been sent into the middle of a residential housing estate for the third time with no such restaurant in sight.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all agree that TomTom's (or TeleAtlases?) built-in POIs for the UK are disgraceful for a lot of the categories, and always have been.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I think we can all agree that TomTom's (or TeleAtlases?) built-in POIs for the UK are disgraceful for a lot of the categories, and always have been.

Is this not down to the postcodes though? If the POI is based on a postcode then dependent on the area it could be very accurate...or in this case inaccurate?

Steve
jimtech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: "Up-Arrow mystery" Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy_P.
I see what you are saying, and think you're most probably right.

I never would have thought of that!

Cheers,

Jim
davedoubledecks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going back to 8.419 after the past few days the traffic bar is not showing the traffic compared to the map. It was more apparent today when travelling to Luton from the West Midlands when 3 traffic holdups were on the map but not the traffic bar and it cause me to be stuck on the M1 south when it closed.
I like v9 but i need reliablity in the traffic bar because I travel the country.
6 out 10 for effort Tomtom but could do better.
Dave
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know there was a 8.419 for the x40 range?

I have noticed that when there are multiple delays close to each other of around a minute each on a route, they do not each show as an icon, but anything significant does and the total delay is always shown and that includes the IQ routes delay.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: