Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best Sat Nav App for Android?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Sat Nav App for Android?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Best Sat Nav App for Android? Reply with quote

I've been a WinMo user for years, but now is the time for a change to Android (can't wait for Xmas and WinMo7, just in case it's crap).

What is the best Sat Nav App for Android? I've been using Navigon on my WM devices, but it seems expensive on Android and lacking in features.

I want:
Local maps (not download as required a la Google)
Full post code input
I want to use PocketGPS speed camera info

Thanks for your help.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choice is Navigon, copilot or Sygic Mobile Maps. I have Sygic for Europe and Copilot for the USA. Both work well, but I much prefer the Sygic interface - more logical and most like the Tom Tom I started with. Both can use this site's camera database

I think the cheapest is Copilot - about £23 for UK, or £50 for Europe from the market, but only $20 for the whole of North America. Sygic now costs about £60 for Europe and a bit less for the USA I think.

I have read that Copilot gives illogical routes sometimes, but I never had that problem when I used it in the USA.

Personally I prefer using Sygic because the interface is easier. The only reason I bought Copilot was on price, because I was not going to be using it often (once a year when we visit our daughter in the USA).

Both Sygic and copilot have dedicated forums here so suggest you have a browse through them both.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful info thanks Peter.

I see you have the Bury car kit (I do too) - what flavour of Android are you using? I have seen that 2.1 doesn't give as much bluetooth functionality as 2.2 on a bluetooth car kit...
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hero, so can only use 2.1. It works reasonably well. There has aways been a problem with BT on Android, but it is getting better. I had more problems with 1.5 I was on. I understand that 2.2 is better than 2.1. And by the time my Hero is up for change there will probably be Android 3.0, which will be better still.

The phone book is the main problem. Mine now moves across easily, but the Bury has difficully accessing it on voice command - it can do so using the screen fine. Not to much problem for me because I do not use the phone to make calls when I am driving - just there in case somebody calls me.

It works well with Sygic - the sat nav directions and warnings come out of the car audio. But for that you do need the latest software installed on the Bury - its an easy enough job to do as long as you have a BT laptop.
Copilot for USA
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Do the announcements interrupt the audio from the radio or overlay?

I'm getting a Desire later this week, hoping it comes with 2.2, but O2 just make that noise down the phone that mean they haven't got a clue what I'm talking about...
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

66Mustang wrote:
Thanks for that. Do the announcements interrupt the audio from the radio or overlay?...

They interrupt the audio, as they should.
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: