Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got the time I'm packing & I've done an update about 90 mins ago, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastersteve wrote:
I was hoping for a nice neat Itinerary feature which would allow you to enter several postcodes - click optimise and it sorts the best route round. SADLY - they've taken the entire itinerary feature out of the 1000 models (GASP!)

I seem to remember back in the days before Satnav and Microsoft Autoroute ruled the waves, a TNT branded mapping system had such an Itinerary feature.

mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is anyone actually considering buying one? Would like to hear from people using it day to day, but it is a lot of money for something that has a number of question-marks?

Having read some posts on this forum I am not surprised that Tom Tom is “closing down” the 1000 from external interference! (Or should I say tweaking)
I had the unfortunate experience of running an open system where only competent individuals were free to add, subtract and tinker, and what a mess it ended up in.
Best intentions aside, unless you know what influence one file has on another, especially if you start importing third party soft ware, conflicts can occur all over the place.
We ended up in shutting the system down to outside influences and any user adjustments were made via forums like this one. The thing then ran like clockwork.

I will be purchasing a 1000, I like the look, trust the company to have experience in routing etc, and like the idea of HD traffic. Whatever is on there I don’t need I won’t use. What bells and whistles are inside, to me is up to them. If I find a problem I will report it to Tom Tom.

And to be honest I think I probably represent the vast majority of purchasers (sorry guys) who are not concerned with fiddling.

I happen to love the Safety Camera Database on this web site and would have hoped Tom Tom would include it on their units.

It’s an opinion for debate!
Confused
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about purchasing a 1005, mainly for it's larger screen, as my main use is for work purposes driving a van. I would not regard myself as a tweaker, but the inability to create my own POI's would cause big problems. I have created a file with locations of Farms and other locations that cannot normally be found on maps, even Google Search cannot find some of them. Over the years I have moved this file from old units to new and it now contains a lot of locations that I add to on a weekly basis. Loosing this function will be a primary factor on should I upgrade or not.

It was my intention to let my subscription to TomTom Speed Cameras run out and subscribe to PGPSW alerts, but that now looks to be a non starter.

Why TT have decided not include a card slot is yet another backward step. The 4G drive is not big enough, once a year we go across the pond, no North America maps!!, why, not enough space. What happens when you are away on hols and the unit develops a fault, the back up on the card is no use.

It sometimes appears that TT in the last couple of years are starting to lean towards the easy fix option when it comes to maps and updates. When new maps are issued we have to re-submit all the corrections that we have made on the old maps. I have tried over the years sending updates on some complex road mapping errors, on occasions sending sat images to prove the error, Advance Lane Guidance, errors that are nothing short of being a danger to road users that are not familiar with the area.
You can imagine my surprise when late one night parked up near to our local airport when a Tele-Atlas mapping unit pulled up and asked for directions to the airport, if they had bothered to use the Map Share updates I had submitted they would not have had a problem.

I have in the past been a loyal customer of the TomTom range, however that trust is starting to wear a bit thin.

I would like to see TT recognising the value of forums like PGPSW and for them to respond to the issues raised, that way they may be able to claw back some of the confidence lost in TT

As I said at the start, I am not into tweaking or fiddling, I just want to use the device and use the functions that we have all come to rely on over the years.

MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in to tweaking and fiddling as it is the only way to get the units to do as they are meant to.

I don't know how many, backups, restores, clear-flashes, formats, return to factory settings, chkdsk, account resets etc I have had to do, but none of these fiddles have been due to anything other than the unit and the software provided by Home. If I had not been a fiddler who knows how many times the unit would have been sent back to TomTom for repair.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that over the years, backups, restores, clear-flashes, formats, return to factory settings, chkdsk, account resets become become the norm for TT users, not so much tweaking and fiddling more First Aid following bug infestations from TT updates.

andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mow wrote:

I happen to love the Safety Camera Database on this web site and would have hoped Tom Tom would include it on their units.

It’s an opinion for debate!
Confused

see you are already starting to doubt the company Very Happy you can't use this camera database that's it ,but if tomtom were to acquire just the camera database from I would say yes for sure ,but I doubt it would happen ..... I often use the google function and it is normally correct to about 5/10 meters so far and that ain't too bad
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be quite tempted by a 'use it then forget it device', but I'm not convinced by the 1000. Principally I'm concerned by the strong comments about Home 3 being a nightmare to use, because you will need to connect for updates. Also it does not seem to have enough flexibility in memory and processing capacities to be confident that there will not be overloads at some points, which are likely to require some sort of resetting, and the owner options are non-existent.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mow wrote:
Having read some posts on this forum I am not surprised that Tom Tom is “closing down” the 1000 from external interference! (Or should I say tweaking)

Judging issues I experience with a new and “un-tweaked” TomTom Go 550 Live and software “upgrades” on previous models and TomTom Home - I think some of the interference that needs restricting is the coders TomTom use!

mow wrote:
Best intentions aside, unless you know what influence one file has on another, especially if you start importing third party soft ware, conflicts can occur all over the place.

Since TomTom withdrew the SDK, I don’t see any talk of using third party software on TomTom - but I so trust TomTom software I have only put Home of a dedicated virtual PC

mow wrote:
I had the unfortunate experience of running an open system where only competent individuals were free to add, subtract and tinker, and what a mess it ended up in.

We ended up in shutting the system down to outside influences and any user adjustments were made via forums like this one. The thing then ran like clockwork..

Even a small group of coders working on a project need coordination (if they are any good they’ll automatically do it themselves) - otherwise you are likely to just get a mess.
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a message on Facebook that they are now taking preorders for the 1000 and its due around next Monday.

I want to see a unit first and for some reason the 950 is 20 pounds dearer which is an older model. Im going to ring customer services up and see what they say about pgs speedcameras will they be on there ?

We all know the answer, but I want to see what they say?

Heres the link and theres a quick video showing you the 1000
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/go-live-1000-europe/index.jsp
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:
Heres the link and theres a quick video showing you the 1000

That video was nice. I bought one on the basis of it. Yep, very nice car. I think there was some other gadget too, but it looked like an ordinary satnav, nothing special or new shown, so not too interested.

But seriously, you can tell that marketing budget is not the problem can't you. Lots of swish and urban lights, but not a lot on product features. I think the main attraction for me would be the pinch to zoom on the map, which I always want to do.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I think the main attraction for me would be the pinch to zoom on the map, which I always want to do.

The only problem I have with the pinch-to-zoom on the Go1000 is that it works slightly differently than any other zooming method.
Normally, when you zoom in on a TomTom it always zooms relative to the blue cursor position, so your destination (or whatever) always stays in the same point on screen.

The pinch-zoom however, zooms around your fingers and you can't always get your fingers in the position you want without accidentally activating the buttons at the bottom.

Similarly, when you use the "swiping" gestures to go between preference menu screens, it always looks like you are changing various preferences without meaning to.
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have now took the price off for the unit and the date has been pushed back to an expected date now of the 27th Sep.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so glad i read this Thread! i was just gonna sell my 940 Sat Nav on EBAY for Ł165 and then get the New 1000 Model. definitely NOT worth selling then? i cant believe you wont be able to install POI from PGPSW, id be lost without the Speed Camera Database!

Cheers
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Time Will Tell Reply with quote

It’s very interesting, is this a case of “it was better in the old days” or have Tom Tom got their marketing totally wrong.
I suspect they will not want to lose their position in the market and that the new 1000 unit may not entice the “power users” but will suit the masses.
Only time will tell, roll on the first reviews once we (if we) get our hands on the product.
Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: