Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Urban Rider backward step?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Urban Rider backward step?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harley-noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Urban Rider backward step? Reply with quote

Hi all, my Rider 1 is coming to the end of its life now. Contacts badly worn, screen scratched etc. I was looking at the Urban Rider, BUT it has the simplified menu.

Am I still correct in thinking that this means problems with POI's etc?

If so it will not be an Urban Rider, why are TT doing this?

Are well looks like Garmin this time, ride safe
Noj
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban Rider backward step? Reply with quote

harley-noj wrote:
Hi all, my Rider 1 is coming to the end of its life now. Contacts badly worn, screen scratched etc. I was looking at the Urban Rider, BUT it has the simplified menu.

Am I still correct in thinking that this means problems with POI's etc?

If so it will not be an Urban Rider, why are TT doing this?

Are well looks like Garmin this time, ride safe
Noj

No, no POI problems with the Urban Rider AFAIK but if you wish to stay with TomTom, try to source a RIDER2 instead. The two main reasons for this are that

1) Urban Rider has no SD card slot, so as maps get bigger, or you want to travel further afield, you'll have to decide what maps you want beforehand, or possibly swap them on the hoof.

2) Urban Rider doesn't come with a powered cradle!! It's an optional extra. So it's either extra expense to get one, or take the mains charger with you and try to get some juice into the device when you stop for food.
harley-noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Tim.
I've been shopping around and as the rear contacts still work OK they are just worn and I've picked up a screen for £35 that's the way for me.
botheras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Urban Rider Reply with quote

Just got my UR Europe, and having had a TTR2 for 2 years, I have to say it's a big improvement. OK, as a TTR2 user, its a more economic upgrade, as I have te headsets, powered mount etc, but the device itself is much improved.

Response and navigation is much quicker, satellite acquisition is much better, and the menus appear to work much better with gloves. The only down side is that there is no traffic service available, and Speed camera updates are via TTHome.

The best thing I've found so far is the "winding road" option that gave me a magic ride on the first outing.

In addition, the map thing seems flexible as you can load one of four Euro zones, and change them as you want via Home.
hoggies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Urban Rider Reply with quote

botheras,

Do you use a bluetooth headset with your urban rider?

I have the SENA SMH10, (which is excellent, by the way), but I think I have read reports that the volume output from the GPS is not very good. (or was that for the Zumo 220???)

thanks
hoggies
botheras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban Rider Reply with quote

hoggies wrote:
botheras,

Do you use a bluetooth headset with your urban rider?

Yes, I have Schuberth SRC which is effectively latest generation Cardo Scala. It's fine for volume from GPS
fullbore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Urban Rider Reply with quote

botheras wrote:
The only down side is that there is no traffic service available, and Speed camera updates are via TTHome.

Given that I use my device in the car a lot this is enough for me to send it back.

Niamh
PaulW21781
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban Rider Reply with quote

Just upgraded to the Urban Rider navcore on my old Rider V1 (yeah I know, naughty naughty, but enough of that...) And have to say, it is certainly different to the old 7.9 software! I think the main reason I've done this though, is the fact the new Urban has lost SDCard support, so being restricted to just the internal memory on the device will be useless on any long inter-continental trips. Having a massive SDCard, or different maps on different cards is what makes the older V1 and V2 Riders still appeal more to me.

Speed seems about the same, the added IQ Routes is definitely a winner for me (find this invaluable on my fathers XL-IQ jobby), so will be interesting to see how it fairs now on the Rider.

botheras wrote:
Response and navigation is much quicker, satellite acquisition is much better, and the menus appear to work much better with gloves.

Agreed, it is much much easier to use now with gloves, I used to keep an old stylus from a Nintendo DS attached to it, made using it much easier with gloves, but yeah, the new menu and buttons does finally sort the old issue out! (will still keep the stylus there though)

botheras wrote:
The only down side is that there is no traffic service available, and Speed camera updates are via TTHome.

P.I.T.A. to be honest. Not that it made any difference to me (my current phone didn't have support for BTDUN), but I can see the pain for other TomTom Rider users upgrading. Traffic was a handy feature to have Sad

botheras wrote:
The best thing I've found so far is the "winding road" option that gave me a magic ride on the first outing.

I can't wait to try this, done a few test plots and it seems quite interesting! Shame there is only 3 levels of tune for it though, but who knows... that might just be enough!

Although the new customisable QuickMenu is an improvement!

Few other things I've noticed missing:

No battery saving options to disable/enable automatic powering off when it looses power on the bike (but then again, the unit doesn't even come with a powered cradle as standard...)

Also, I thought they had removed the ability to transfer files between TomTom's via BlueTooth any more. Was handy being able to send over POI's and itinerary's to friends on group rides. My mistake, it's actually under Options -- Itinerary Planning -- Options -- More -- Send/Receive files. There is no longer an option to send POI's across though Sad

Probably some other 'missing' features I used to use elsewhere, but not come across them yet... But yeah, as soon as I've finished sorting the bike, can't wait to see how it performs Smile
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban Rider Reply with quote

PaulW21781 wrote:
Just upgraded to the Urban Rider navcore on my old Rider V1 (yeah I know, naughty naughty, but enough of that...) .

Hi

Can you still use the PGPSW speed cameras and alerts?

Cheers
PaulW21781
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban Rider Reply with quote

exportman wrote:
PaulW21781 wrote:
Just upgraded to the Urban Rider navcore on my old Rider V1 (yeah I know, naughty naughty, but enough of that...) .

Hi

Can you still use the PGPSW speed cameras and alerts?

Cheers

The Rider software allows you to use the POI's from here for the Scamera Alerts yes Smile I've got the TomTom OV2 [UK - Speed Zoned Complete], and also use the voice alerts from Here (I use Text To Speech - PocketGPSWorld Voice) The only real difference between the old Rider 1 and 2 software, and the new Urban software is:

• New Interface
  • Lane Assist
  • Added IQ Routes
  • Added WindyRoads option to plotting
  • Can now record your tracks to GPX Logs!!
  • Removed TomTom Live Services (Live Traffic)
  • All the menu's moved about
  • Compass only points North! You can't choose where it points to now like you could on the Older software (ie, to destination, etc)
  • Missing Power-Down option in Battery Saving Preferences when cradle/charging power is lost/disconnected (you only have screen timeout options now) although I've managed to "re-enable" this on my modified V1 Rider, and it now shuts itself off when external power is disconnected after 30 second timeout.

As for the hardware:
  • Lost SDCard support, has only 2Gb internal FLASH memory.
  • Better battery
  • No powered cradle supplied by default (uses the same mount & cradle as Rider 2 though)
  • Quicker CPU than Rider 1 and 2 (100MHz faster), but can't comment on difference personally (the v9 navcore runs just as quick as the old v7 did on my rider 1) All Rider models, past and present, still only have 32Mb RAM though.

Few screenshots from mine...

Startup Screen:

Options Layout:

Route Planning Options:

Route Info Page (note IQ Routes works on all options):

Windy Roads!

New Glove-Friendly Input Keyboard:

What the main map display looks like (I zoomed out from my home location):

And the Software Info:

Oh, and the screen you will *never* see on the actual Urban Rider as the option to set this is missing from the Battery Preferences page:

Smile
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think it may be worth a try. I have a V2. Loss of the compass is a little disapointing I find it useful when looking for interesting roads on the way to where ever

Do you still get the itinery planning? where did you get the navcor and how did you sort the shutdown.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban Rider Reply with quote

PaulW21781 wrote:
New Glove-Friendly Input Keyboard:

Thats new, a T9 style keypad on a TomTom - Mike
PaulW21781
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman - Itinerary planning still works as before, and all my old itinerary's copied over fine (don't forget they are in the /itn folder, not the actual map when backing up your SDCard)

mikealder - Not so much T9, but like the keypads of old (normal text entry by hitting the same key multiple times to get the right letter).
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Nav Core update Reply with quote

I have posted a question to Tomtom today

Asking when they will release the urban navcore to rider 1 & 2 users.

Even if you bought the rider 2 recently it is still using a 2008 7.901 core

Wonder what the answer will be Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: