Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 Question (camera alert ONLY)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 Question (camera alert ONLY)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aidi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: TomTom 720 Question (camera alert ONLY) Reply with quote

Howide,

Ok, this is a bit of a strange request...

Is there a way to change my TomTom 720 so it acts as a speed camera detector and will only show the sort of info attributed to this.

I guess i am trying to emulate what the Snooper Sapphire does.

There is reason behind this... i've not just gone nuts!

If you can help or advise i woul love to hear from you.

Rgds
Aidi
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detectors are illegal in UK.

Have you not subscribed to PocketGPSWorld speed camera database for your 720? - legal and comprehensive.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Aidi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Detectors are illegal in UK.

Have you not subscribed to PocketGPSWorld speed camera database for your 720? - legal and comprehensive.

Ok, i think the way i worded it might have been confusing.

Basically, what i want it to do is emulate what the Snooper Sapphire does but using my TomTom 720. I have now got built in Satnav in my car, but no ability to add POI's.

So, my tomtom 720 is redundent from a satnav point of view. What i would like to try and achieve is using the 720 so the screen will only show my speed as i am driving, then when i approach a speed camera, the screen will change to warn me of the impending camera.

Hopefully this explanation is a bit clearer than my original! I thought i would ask the question before replacing the unit with a dedicated unit.

Rgds
Aidi
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say whether you have subscribed and my magic powers as a Moderator do not tell me.

The subscribed database from PocketGPSWorld contains (we believe) better speed camera information than anybody else's - Fixed, Redlight, Redspeed, Average Speed, known Mobile Camera sites (and if you want them, unconfirmed mobile sites).

You can set your 720 to warn you of every camera in the area to a radius of whatever you fancy. You could have just a simple "Bong" or a comprehensive "Warning, mobile speed camera ahead, speed limit 60 miles per hour." You would show on the map an icon where the camera is, and at the top corner a flashing icon of the speed. This is NOT full screen, but with a verbal warning and flashing icon - what more could you need?

I have no idea what a Snooper Sapphire is or does, but (legally) it can do no more than that and probably not so well.

Or if you've got an iPhone (3GS or later), PocketGPSWorld do an app for it called CamerAlert which is even better - it's made by PGPSW, so they know what customers want (and listen to feedback too, which is another advantage over many others!).

Aidi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You didn't say whether you have subscribed and my magic powers as a Moderator do not tell me.

The subscribed database from PocketGPSWorld contains (we believe) better speed camera information than anybody else's - Fixed, Redlight, Redspeed, Average Speed, known Mobile Camera sites (and if you want them, unconfirmed mobile sites).

You can set your 720 to warn you of every camera in the area to a radius of whatever you fancy. You could have just a simple "Bong" or a comprehensive "Warning, mobile speed camera ahead, speed limit 60 miles per hour." You would show on the map an icon where the camera is, and at the top corner a flashing icon of the speed. This is NOT full screen, but with a verbal warning and flashing icon - what more could you need?

I have no idea what a Snooper Sapphire is or does, but (legally) it can do no more than that and probably not so well.

Or if you've got an iPhone (3GS or later), PocketGPSWorld do an app for it called CamerAlert which is even better - it's made by PGPSW, so they know what customers want (and listen to feedback too, which is another advantage over many others!).

I have been a user and subscriber of PGSW for a number of years now, however not updated in recent times, so fully aware of what the capabilitys of the PGPSW database contains, and how to use it in conjunction with mapping for alerts etc.

Dosen't look like the tomtom will do what i am asking. I would need it to be full screen showing only speed and then alerting when a speed cam is in the vicinity.

Guess ill have to go get a dedicated device to remedy this.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Lapsed subscription from pgpsw?

I've just looked up the Snooper Sapphire and it says about £90 to buy and £30 a year to subscribe. Must be incredibly good or gets loads of gullible customers? Seems a lot to pay when you've already got the capability wityh your 720. Confused

Aidi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Hmm. Lapsed subscription from pgpsw?

I've just looked up the Snooper Sapphire and it says about £90 to buy and £30 a year to subscribe. Must be incredibly good or gets loads of gullible customers? Seems a lot to pay when you've already got the capability wityh your 720. Confused

Lapsed subscription from PGPSW.. I hope you are not insinuating that the PGPSW database i currently use is not legitimate? I am sure if you check i subscribed and paid for what i have on my TomTom.

I can appreciate you want to push your own database, but i dont think its necessary to belittle other products. Point out differences and short falls yes, but telling people they would be gullible to buy it is a bit strong. I doubt you would like to read such comments about your product?

All i was asking is was there a possibility of using my existing product with YOUR database in a specific manner.

I am a bit disillusioned that a froum moderator has replied to the questions i have asked in this manner.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 3rd party application called Tripmaster. Written by Roussillat at www.webazar.org

You can install this on your 720 and leave it running in Tripmaster mode with just your speed showing in a large typeface on the screen. The speed camera alerts could then be heard when approaching. Not sure that the screen shall switch automatically between the two though.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Aidi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate. Ill go take a look.

Ironically, it would appear that the PGPSW Camera Alert iphone tool will do pretty much exactly what i want. Downloaded it and installed the latest database. Ill test it out tomrrow.

I was just ashame to see the 720 not doing anything, but if the Camera Alert does what i need, then it will work out better as its one less gadget in the car!!

Best Rgds
Aidi
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidi wrote:
I am a bit disillusioned that a froum moderator has replied to the questions i have asked in this manner.

It's up to you how you interpret my post, I suppose, but let me clarify.

You never previously answered my original question as to whether you were a subscribed member. Nothing to do with questioning your integrity. The relevance was that if you are a subscribed member, you've already got the database subscription, so all you need to do is set the 720 accordingly to give you what you want. Even with a "lapsed" subscription, you can renew it for a lot less than the Snooper subscription.

As for belittling other products, you obviously agree that £90 to buy plus £30 a year subscription is value for money (my quote said incredibly good) - I didn't belittle, I offered two alternative descriptions, good/gullible - the subscription alone is 50% dearer than the pgpsw database and £90 for a limited function device seems pricey. Or perhaps you DON'T think it's value for money if you are seeking an equivalent without going to the expense of purchasing the Snooper itself.

And I did offer you the suggestion of CamerAlert. You've got the hardware, the App costs 59p and the annual subscription is 2/3 the price of Snooper. Have the grace to say thank you!

Aidi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Aidi wrote:

It's up to you how you interpret my post, I suppose, but let me clarify.

You never previously answered my original question as to whether you were a subscribed member. Nothing to do with questioning your integrity. The relevance was that if you are a subscribed member, you've already got the database subscription, so all you need to do is set the 720 accordingly to give you what you want. Even with a "lapsed" subscription, you can renew it for a lot less than the Snooper subscription.

As for belittling other products, you obviously agree that £90 to buy plus £30 a year subscription is value for money (my quote said incredibly good) - I didn't belittle, I offered two alternative descriptions, good/gullible - the subscription alone is 50% dearer than the pgpsw database and £90 for a limited function device seems pricey. Or perhaps you DON'T think it's value for money if you are seeking an equivalent without going to the expense of purchasing the Snooper itself.

And I did offer you the suggestion of CamerAlert. You've got the hardware, the App costs 59p and the annual subscription is 2/3 the price of Snooper. Have the grace to say thank you!

I honestly didnt see the part about iPhone and the CamerAlert app in the post. I have now gone down this route and it should hopefully fulfill my needs. To that end i have renewed my subscription again for another year.

Rgds
Aidi

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: