Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap ... without maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap ... without maps?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuxtonJim wrote:

I have concerns about the rubber plugs and their longevity as well as the seal between the back and the body. Possibly I'm over critical but I look always for quality and robust design. I'm sure the software will satisfy me on both of these criteria but first experience of the unit is not positive, Taking out the AA caddy and replacing it with the LiPo was a fag. I'd bought a second poly to replace while out but I wouldn't fancy trying to engage those pins.

Jim,

Yes as has been said the LiPo connection has come in for much criticism in the past but nothing has ever been done about it.

The rubber bung covering the USB socket at the bottom also has a limited life span,this has been discussed on here recently.There is supposed to be an all singing all dancing rubber cover coming out for the A10 which would presumably solve the waterproofing isssue but we wait,and wait and wait......................

Ian
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks Ian, I'm really impressed overall with the funcionality but these two features are nagging concerns. I emailed Satmap with a straightforward suggestion to address the power issue but not even an acknowledgement.

Every other of my dealings with them has been met punctually and completely professionally.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I was once told by a Satmap chappie that they most certainly do read this forum so we can hope for the best.

It has crossed my mind that the reason some of the "faults" with the A10 have not been addressed is that there may be an updated version due out in the not too distant future.Perhaps that is why the case is delayed so they can have a big marketing splash all at once.

I have no certain knowledge of this at all but it does make you wonder.

Ian
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you're Ian after all this forum provides a stream of operational "real world" feedback for the company.
I had a quick play with Satsync last night and again found the design and functionality really excellent.

Looking at the time period the A10 handset has been out I'd expect a revamp pretty soon. If they address that damned battery connector and refine the bungs they'll have a real world-beater IMHO. In terms of so far only "gentle"usage, the Satmap is blowing me away and on balance I'm glad I didn't buy into any other system. After all it's the mapping where the investment is as handsets become upgraded.

Looking at my experience with cameras, every time I commit to a new model it is quickly upgraded. Normally that doesn't bother me because I'm happy with the model as is. In the case of the Satmap, I feel that the fundamental weaknesses referred to, point to a product that is still very much in development. There are so many fantastic features to it marred by weaknesses that should not really have gone beyond beta testing.

We'll see ....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: