Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap ... without maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap ... without maps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Satmap ... without maps? Reply with quote

Hi
I've just ordered mine with 1:50 mapping as I travel/walk extensively in the UK. I guess I'll have to buy 1:25 for some of the areas I most visit in future eg we intend to walk the Anglesey coast path and re-walk the C-to-C during the next 12 months.

My Q is about usefulness (or othertwise) of the device in places like Crete. Am I correct in assuming it will act as little more than a basic compass? Apologies I'm completely new to this GPS game - and thanks for any info.

Jim
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Satmaps all come with a 1:5mil World base map.
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for writing, Rothers.
I knew about the "base mapping" but in my ignorance I'm unsure about the device can be used practically in Greece. Will it basically point me waypoint to waypoint and show where I should be generally headed against an obviously low detail Map?

Jim
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the very least it should be able to give you a location (not sure whether give right coords type for local maps in Greece) and enable you to see a trail of where you have walked - so giving you chance to workout where to get back to (which is what most GPSs were like a decade ago)
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Indonesia where I live most of the year, I occasionally use my SatMap while walking. But I find that the 1:5 million base map is almost useless other than to determine my very general position. Sadly the map is VERY out of date (more than ten years), which doesn't help either.

However, I can track my walks and then import them into Google Maps or Goggle Earth. I can also save my walking statistics. But it ain't much use for navigating!

Chris
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for writing.
Chris, you've confirmed my expectation Having had a few scrapes down to poor naviagtion in the White mountains on Crete I was hoping for a little more peace of mind but it seems likely not to be.
JTH thanks for your comment. It's a shame the base maps are so out of date but I guess for my purposes that's irrelevant anyway. Your point about the co-ords is useful and I'll report back in late September when I'm next there.

Cheers

Jim
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think they do maps for Greece yet. The GPS will give you accurate gps anywhere, as mentioned the base map is not any use for walking. I have just come back from canaries where i used if for geocaching with the base map and it took me to the co-ordinates no problem. If you know where you want to walk before you go, and can draw your route in google earth then import it to the satmap you can follow the route no probems. It becomes a bit like a basic garmin then.
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gibbo - it's as expected then.
I realise that the USP of Satmap is essentially the rolling OS map.
I haven't even received my unit yet and only started the research a week ago by looking at an eTrex.
Your advice is really helpful - thank you.
I hope you had a good time abroad.

Jim
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
If you know where you want to walk before you go, and can draw your route in google earth then import it to the satmap you can follow the route no probems.

Gibbo,

Could you describe the method of importing maps from Google Earth to SatMap? I wasn't aware this was possible...

Thanks

Chris
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisJakarta wrote:
Gibbo10 wrote:
If you know where you want to walk before you go, and can draw your route in google earth then import it to the satmap you can follow the route no probems.

Gibbo,

Could you describe the method of importing maps from Google Earth to SatMap? I wasn't aware this was possible...

Thanks

Chris

You can't import the map just the route, but if you have the route then you can follow that. Not the same as having a map I know but at least you have something to follow.

Paul
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
You can't import the map just the route, but if you have the route then you can follow that. Not the same as having a map I know but at least you have something to follow.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for clarifying - sorry I misread your post. I do wish there was some way to display some sort of reasonable map for areas here SatMap do not offer them...

Chris
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received my copy today and have to say I'm far from impressed with the internal power connection. The box is pretty but the overall robustness of the unit itself is questionable.

I have concerns about the rubber plugs and their longevity as well as the seal between the back and the body. Possibly I'm over critical but I look always for quality and robust design. I'm sure the software will satisfy me on both of these criteria but first experience of the unit is not positive, Taking out the AA caddy and replacing it with the LiPo was a fag. I'd bought a second poly to replace while out but I wouldn't fancy trying to engage those pins.

Hopefully, my real world experience will be better and if/when so, I'll re-post. On first contact this seems to be a bit of Jekyll and Hyde. I do recognise that I've not used it in anger yet and I do like the ABS casing but my, that connector! It'll probably be the ruin of the device ultimately. It just isn't well enough designed. Such a shame when so much of the rest of the experience appears nearly seemless. The devil even locked on within my house through a couple of floors within a couple of minutes.

No doubt I'm being unfair because I really like the feel of the A10, I just wish that internal connector was half-decent. It's led me to question the long-term decision to buy many maps as I'd decided it would be my platform. I have little doubt that Satmap will issue an upgrade to the hardware before too long. As ever, the profit is in the software and the tie-in to the hardware. Forgive me for being uncharacteristically cynical - I'm usually positive.

Jim

Jim
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery connector has been frequently criticised on this forum for some time, with no apparent interest from Satmap. However, with the Lipol battery in, there is little need to disconnect it. I get about 10 hours on a full charge, and that is without the hibernate option on the latest firmware upgrade.

Just make sure that when you turn it off, it really is off!

Incidently, has anyone tried recharging with a Power monkey?
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yers, I can see what posters have been on about now.
I shall be writing to Satmap with a few suggestions.
I'd bought a 2nd LiPo with specific intent to swap on the go when required.
DeeSee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this for alternative way to extend power range of A10.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=76152&highlight=u2o

U2O iwalk 5400 (Mike Alder April 25th 9.00 am)

Can't vouch for its performance with the A10 but I bought one to use with my TomTom in Paris (on foot) last year and it allowed me to use my TomTom the whole day. Iwalk sat in my pocket with power lead to my TomTom.

DeeSee

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: