Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom will not show up on computer puzzle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom will not show up on computer puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: New TomTom will not show up on computer puzzle Reply with quote

I have hit a real puzzle this morning with my brand new TomTom XL IQ version 1 device. I come to connect it to my Windows 7 Desktop PC for the first time in order to back up the TomTom and connect to HOME.

I plugged in the device then switched it on, got the prompt do you want to connect to computer and I tapped YES. PC indicated it was installing driver software then suddenly the PC crashed BSOD - never seen that before with W7. I then had to re-start the PC so unplugged the TomTom. Computer restarted normally and I went through connecting the TomTom again. This time there were no issues. However, I cannot see the TomTom as a mass storage device and it doesn't matter what I do, I have even re-set the TomTom. The funny thing is if I go into device manager then the TomTom is there in mass storage and it states device working properly. I have uninstalled the device from there and even tried updating drivers, however, all to no avail. TomTom home says no device connected either.

I have now connected the TomTom to my Laptop and all is working well and backup going without a hitch.

Anyone any ideas how to get the device to show up on the Desktop though?
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange one!

I have had Windows 7 for quite a while now and my TT Go 720 "just worked" as most devices tend to with Windows 7.

If you got a BSOD did it tell you the error code?

If device manager sees the device it really "ought" to see the mass storage device. Is there no sign of it in "My Computer"? Is it present on the "Printers and Devices" (or whatever it is called now)?
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
Strange one!

I have had Windows 7 for quite a while now and my TT Go 720 "just worked" as most devices tend to with Windows 7.

If you got a BSOD did it tell you the error code?

If device manager sees the device it really "ought" to see the mass storage device. Is there no sign of it in "My Computer"? Is it present on the "Printers and Devices" (or whatever it is called now)?

To be honest the BSOD was a mass of text from top to bottom and I was so surprised to see it I didn't really pay that much attention other than to disconnect TT and restart PC. I should have said that the PC is running 64bit W7 HP though and the Laptop 32bit W7 HP though not sure it should have made a difference. Device Manager shows the TT as mass storage device and working correctly but when I go to Computer - drives, I only have my my C drive, Slave, external USB drive and ROM but no sign of TT. I have plugged in some other USB storage devices and they show up straightaway.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recommend this free piece of software which will give you a good analasis of the blue screen
who crashed http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few external devices not install as expected under Windows7 and after that they do not appear as drives when inserted again.

To get around this I have gone into control panel - administrative tools - computer management-storage-disk management then assigned a drive letter to the device.

Sometimes if devices do not install correctly you need to uninstall them but cannot as you cannot find them to uninstall, even if you click show hidden devices in Device Manager they do not show up. To work around this behavior and display not present devices when you click Show hidden devices:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

At a command prompt, type the following command:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 then press ENTER

Type the following command at the command prompt:
start devmgmt.msc then press ENTER

If you click on show hidden devices in Device Manager you should now see devices that have been installed but are currently not present and you can now remove them.

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set and prevents non-present devices from being displayed when you next click Show hidden devices.

If you always want to be able to see not present devices then you need to go into the system-computer properties-advanced and enter and set the environment variable set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices to the value 1. When you are in device manager and click show hidden devices the not present devices will show up.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mr T. However, I have now sorted it but by another means. I attempted to do a system restore and noticed that a restore point had been made early this morning. When I tried to use that restore point it failed and stated that a critical Windows update had failed to install properly. Fortunately I had an Acronis full image backup from Sunday just gone and having done virtually nothing on the PC this week decided the easiest method would be to restore that image. Image was restored without a hitch the Windows updates installed this time without any issue and when I connected the TT this time the drivers installed and the TT was visible in explorer straightaway.

What has miffed me somewhat is that TT Home said that a newer map version was available (for free of course) but that it wouldn't now fit on my unit as it has grown in size so would have to select the zone I wanted. Wait for this one - 1650 meg 3hrs 16mins download time. Given that Sky throttle their Connect customers after 5pm I haven't a hope in hell of downloading a file that size anytime soon at those sort of download times. What the hell are TT doing?
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:

What has miffed me somewhat is that TT Home said that a newer map version was available (for free of course) but that it wouldn't now fit on my unit as it has grown in size so would have to select the zone I wanted. Wait for this one - 1650 meg 3hrs 16mins download time. Given that Sky throttle their Connect customers after 5pm I haven't a hope in hell of downloading a file that size anytime soon at those sort of download times. What the hell are TT doing?

I assume you have the Western Europe map which is large but 1,650Mb these days isnt a lot.

I hadnt realised that Sky still did Broadband Connect as it was only meant for use when customers were signed up in advance of a planned LLU implementation or if there is a temporary shortage of LLU kit at the exchange.

I used to use Sky BB Max and it was OK (price was good and speed was reasonable with truly unlimited downloads) but I fell out with them when they proved incapable of setting the line configuration to give the speed it was obviously capable of supporting. I moved to BE Unlimited and download went from 12Mb/s to 21Mb/s and the upload went from 768Kb/s to 1.2Mb/s. They also have the network bandwidth behind this to support this.

BE isnt the cheapest ISP but O2 own BE and use the same network giving most of the advantages at a lower price, especially if you have, or know anyone else who has, an O2 mobile phone - you get a discount then.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 hours so far and still only two thirds downloaded and it has disconnected four times. I have all 42 countries but can only download the Western Europe update as the internal memory is to small. Why the hell TT don't provide more storage is a total mystery to me. I have to say though that this is TT's fault as much as Sky as I have been getting close to 1mbps all evening. TT CS was a joke eight years ago when I purchased my first GO and it's no better now.

On the subject of Sky Connect - there are literally thousands of Connect customers most of whom are very unhappy due to throttling from 5pm to Midnight every day of the week. Sky sell Connect where there is no LLU and never likely to be, as per my exchange which is a Market 1 exchange with less than a thousand connections, basically a BT Max product. No one is ever going to LLU such exchanges.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being stuck on an exchange classified as "Market 1" with no LLU must be a right pain, made worse if you are any distance from the exchange.

Under these circumstances since Sky are simply reselling the BT ADSL MAX product they are trying to compete in a market where they have no cost advantage so they buy the minimum amount of bandwidth they can off BT.

Hopefully when 21CN eventually reaches you (it will reach all exchanges eventually) things may improve but presumably this will be when most of the Market 3 exchanges have Fibre To The Cab and up to 50Mb/s available.

I am fortunate to live very close to the exchange (not a concious decision at the time - before ADSL was invented) but now the distance to the exchange and the facilities available would factor into any move. It is a lottery and it shouldnt be. You have my commiserations Sad
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
Being stuck on an exchange classified as "Market 1" with no LLU must be a right pain, made worse if you are any distance from the exchange.

Under these circumstances since Sky are simply reselling the BT ADSL MAX product they are trying to compete in a market where they have no cost advantage so they buy the minimum amount of bandwidth they can off BT.

Hopefully when 21CN eventually reaches you (it will reach all exchanges eventually) things may improve but presumably this will be when most of the Market 3 exchanges have Fibre To The Cab and up to 50Mb/s available.

I am fortunate to live very close to the exchange (not a concious decision at the time - before ADSL was invented) but now the distance to the exchange and the facilities available would factor into any move. It is a lottery and it shouldnt be. You have my commiserations Sad

Your post is bang on the Mark - yes I know every little nuance of M1 exchanges and Sky penny pinching by only purchasing the very minimum amount of bandwidth they can get away with. The irony is that Connect is their most expensive BB product and also the very worst (they say they don't make a penny on it) - in fact I would go as far as to say it's the worst of any BB provider I know of. I only like 465 yards from the exchange (SamKnows), I could hit it with a stone thrown from my house. I get a good 7mpbs during the day (when I'm at work) but evenings are dire. I'm considering moving to Plusnet who are at least honest about what their customers can expect in the evenings - heard good things about them despite being a BT company Rolling Eyes

I finally completed the download and installation - total time 9hrs 20mins Crying or Very sad I've now also only got zoned maps so a trip across Europe would not be a goer. TT state you can change zones at any time, err! how would that work en-route?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: