Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NUVI 660 map updates no longer fitting on unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NUVI 660 map updates no longer fitting on unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: NUVI 660 map updates no longer fitting on unit Reply with quote

I tried last night to update my Nuvi 660 with the latest maps for Europe but found during the process that the entire map set was now too large to fit on the unit so I ended up only downloading and updating with the UK and Ireland and other selected maps that fit. My question is in two parts. First, I had thought that the maps would overflow to my SD card that I use to keep speed camera and other POIs. IS that understanding wrong? Second, do my selections completely overwrite all the maps that had been on the unit? Any help would be much appreciated.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the old maps do get overwritten.

If you want ALL the maps, buy a 4gb SD card and get the Garmin updater software to install to that.

Alan
Green_ninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had exactly the same issue with my Zumo sat nav, the map update says that even though the unit may only be regional (IN my case it was as it's a 400 UK unit) the update includes all of Europe. I therefore bought it and downloaded it. Like you I ended up with only UK and ireland installed. After messing about with it to see if I could force it to install to the SD card (you have to have the unit connected to your PC before you can run the map download) but couldn't suss it. I emailed Garmin support and got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I do apologise for the delay in the response but I will be happy to assist you. This is the correct update for you unit but as the map size has increased due to further detail and the inclusion of several new countries, the maps are now too large for many devices, and it is explained before purchase that this may be the case so extra storage may be needed. As it is when you run the update you will be given the choice to choose a particular region, and it appears you may have opnly chosen uk and ireland, so please run this again and choose the region most suited to yourself, (you may find if you have a full European device, that you are able to still load a large chunk of Europe and there are options in the regions to allow you to do this.) You then have the option to download the maps to your computer as well which you can then use to transfer the remaining maps to an sd card should you wish to do so. I have attached a guide to assist you with this process.

Please help us improve the service we offer you by taking our Customer Support survey. Please click the following link -

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GarminSupportSurvey

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Kind regards,

Carl Browning

Garmin Europe

ans an attached PDF file that shows how to do it step by step. My unit now has all of europe installed (I'll prbably never use most of it but I paid for it..)

I am not sure how to attach a PDF file to the forum so if you'd like a copy of the PDF file please PM me with your email address.

ADMIN- if you'd like a copy of the PDF to put on the site like please PM me the email address to send it to.

Iain
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those who responded and in particular to Green_Ninga for the offer to email me the Garmin PDF document. I have PMed you with my email address. I now have some viable alternatives. The help that I've gotten from so many people since joining is what is so great about this forum.
Green_ninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobertV wrote:
Thanks to those who responded and in particular to Green_Ninga for the offer to email me the Garmin PDF document. I have PMed you with my email address. I now have some viable alternatives. The help that I've gotten from so many people since joining is what is so great about this forum.

I've replied to your email, all the best.

Iain

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: