Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 710 & 910 - same problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

710 & 910 - same problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: 710 & 910 - same problem Reply with quote

Apologies if this is a frequently asked question.

I have two TomToms - a 710 and a 910 - with the same fault.

My 910 died about a year ago - it stopped taking a charge and wouldn't work even when connected to the home charger. Eventually I got a new battery, it worked for a bit, then failed again.

My 710 has now developed the exact same fault. It started turning off and on during a journey, and now it won't restart.

I've now got both units in pieces. I had the 910 on charge overnight, disconnected the battery and plugged it back in - it started up fine but has the battery warning symbol.

Is this a common fault?

I've had five or six TomToms over the years (from the original Go), and they've all let me down.

Thanks for any advice.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like they're both a bit long in the tooth now. Mikealder replaced a battery in my relative's 910 for me, but it didn't last. On the other hand, I have a perfectly serviceable 700 still works fine (getting old too, though - sadly the external antenna function no longer works).

Just curious - did you run it only on battery? I never use battery for any of mine, always plugged into the ciggy lighter. TomTom seem to have an idea that the low battery symbol should be readily available!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Just curious - did you run it only on battery? I never use battery for any of mine, always plugged into the ciggy lighter. TomTom seem to have an idea that the low battery symbol should be readily available!!

Hi Dennis,

No, we've never run them just on the battery - always with a proper TomTom charger from the fag lighter.

I agree they're getting on - but the 910 was £££ and I'm a tight northerner, so that stings a bit... Wink I too had a 700 quite a few years ago, but it melted in a traffic jam in the south of France.

Just trying to work out what the problem can be, bearing in mind it's the same in both devices, and they won't run even on the desktop mount plugged in to the mains. Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used the same car charger cable with both units, if so get the voltage output of the car charger checked, if the feedback cable has gone open circuit it might have damaged the charge circuit in the device negating the ability to charge from the mains or the car - The output of the car charger should be 5V - Mike
DRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Good idea. We've swapped chargers and mounts from car to car with no set pattern, so it's a real possibility. I'll check it tomorrow.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're just old (reducing QA standards if you ask me - all models have gone backwards in that respect over the years) and you're a skinflint! I recognise the type as I'm from Yorkshire myself. Call it a day, you've had a decent run for your £££, splash out on a refurbished 930 from TT.

Melted 700? Mine did perfect service for European tour in 2006. I took my GO550 to Corfu with me in June and stuck it on the windscreen for a couple of days out. I remember reading something about temperature range, but can't remember what they are. Suffice it to say that when I went to take it off the screen it was too hot to hold!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis I maybe wrong but I don't think you are a very young man nor are you a wrinkly like me, so I am surprised that you are prepared to accept that a piece of electronic technology is probably scrap after just three or four years.

There are some people around who still have radios working in their sheds and/or workshops that are 50 years or more old why should we accept that a modern device will only last a few years?

My 510 still works well and I use it in preference to my 520 because it will do most of what I want to do without connecting to the car at all it runs for about three hours on a full charge.

We should fully expect to buy an updateable map wise sat nav that should last for at least ten years with an easy user changeable re-chargeable battery.

If we moan and complain that what we have now is not acceptable and not fit for purpose then we might get something better.

I have only ever had two mobile phones the first one worked and did what I wanted until the operator withdrew support, its replacement is now about five years old it works as a phone in just the same way it did when I purchased it, the battery is fine but could be replaced by me if I wanted to and it as small as the same function function phones available today.
DRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Eric - I think it's reasonable to expect TomToms to keep working for a good few years, regardless of whether the technology is up to date.

The computer (Mac) I'm currently typing on was built in 2004 and works as well as ever, even on the most recent OS - okay it's not as fast as a new quad core thingy but it does what I need it to. Why should a sat nav be any different?

Whatever I buy in future won't be a TomTom. Looking back, I had three original Gos, all of which failed sooner or later. The 700 didn't really melt - it stopped being able to plan a route after sitting in a traffic jam; it was late July in the south of France, in a TVR with the roof off (and the gearstick was too hot to touch).

We got the 710 and 910 in summer 2007 (I think); the 910 only lasted two years, so I don't reckon I got a decent run for the money.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like everything now a days, they are just not built like they used to be.

ive got an original go from when tom tom first came on the market and they were state of the art trechnology. its still working til this day but when the 910 first came out i upgraded to one of them. problamatic since day one but still working just. im now on a refurb 930 as i wasnt willing to pay the full price of a brand new unit knowing that newer technology with all the newest all singing all dancing gadgets tend to go wrong a lot quicker than the old built to last tech.

tbh who wants a sat nav that plays slideshow pictures or plays music.
i think the newer models are having so many gadgets added to the memory which gives them much more chance of things going wrong.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
i think the newer models are having so many gadgets added to the memory which gives them much more chance of things going wrong.

The newer models have less capability in the area of music and audio connections than you think, with the x40 range onl the 940 had the mp3 player and FM Tx, with the x50 none of the devices have any music playback capability or FM Tx - Mike
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
MrDJ wrote:

The newer models have less capability in the area of music and audio connections than you think, with the x40 range onl the 940 had the mp3 player and FM Tx, with the x50 none of the devices have any music playback capability or FM Tx - Mike

ok scrap that idea,Laughing Out Loud.Embarassed
the newer models are offering less HD space and no sd card slots so you cant even add the full updated maps which are causing headaches for all new owners.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: