Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Old boy stuck with sticky thingies!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Old boy stuck with sticky thingies!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phmode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Old boy stuck with sticky thingies! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have had my Streetpilot 2820 since Pontious was a pilot and have always used a RAM screen mount on the car and a separate one on the bike with the Garmin bike cradle. Great!

I now have a car with built in SatNav which is more than adequate for most things but it is DVD based and has no camera warnings. So, I still need to mount the Garmin somewhere where it can see the sky but I don't need to see it, it just needs to bong at me.

Hence the sticky thingies that I am stuck with. I have the original dash mount and sticky pads and I am going to mount it where it will not get in the way but which pad to use?

The two pads that came with the Garmin are called 'temporary' and 'permanent' and whilst nothing is permanent, I'd rather use the temporary one rather than damage the dash top trying to remove the permanent one when I sell the vehicle.

So! Which is which? One is black on one side and white on the other and has a hole in the middle, the other is buff on both sides with no hole. Needless to say, there are no markings on either.

Which is temporary and which is permanent.

I tried Garmin but of course, why would they care. My product is 'discontinued' and as a customer, so am I!

Hope someone can help. Brian.

PS Please don't suggest the beanbag, too many passengers have lost teeth on roundabouts.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had you thought of buying a Inforad K1 or K2

http://www.buyinforad.com/?page_id=4&lang=en&currency=gbp&promo_id=

You can buy them from Halfords for about £39-99 for the K1 and £49-99 for the K2 ! they use the Pocketgps speed camera database with lifetime updates at the moment and hope they will continue to use them
phmode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Sticky thingies! Reply with quote

Hi John,

Er, no! But I have now. Didn't even know they existed. I like the idea of keeping the in-car installation neat but I still need to update the Garmin for use on the bike.

I'm off to the local All Fords as you read this to break the bank.

Of course, it means I have to re-visit all my favourite places, just to get them into the on-board memory of the car system; damn, even more expense.

Thanks for the pointer and I like the idea of it being totally portable; I can even warn the bus driver of the damn cameras on the way to get my pension Laughing

If someone just buys the Inforad, are they then members of PWGPS or do they just download updates via some other site?

Thanks again, Brian
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are downloaded from the inforad site !!although they use the Pocketgps camera database they do manipulate them to suit there device !!

The K1 is a bit like Marmite you either love it or hate it !!myself it works just fine as I also own a car with a built in sat nav and saves having to hide the portable sat nav away each time you stop
It can pick up speed cameras in close proximity were there are a lot of roads crossing each other to give a false alert but you can adjust the distance to receive the warnings !!myself I do not find it a problem some people do though
phmode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Sticky thingies and InfoRad. Reply with quote

Hi John,

Good to know it works for you. Having a Garmin I am used to false alerts from over/under roads and also ones on the other side of the road (thanks Garmin, so considerate of you! Evil or Very Mad )

I have ordered the K2 from InfoRad, mainly because All Fords had one salesman and twenty people trying to buy technology they didn't understand.

I will let you know how I get on with it, but it promises to deliver exactly what I want.

Regards, Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: