Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New, smaller W&CE v8.50 map?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New, smaller W&CE v8.50 map?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: New, smaller W&CE v8.50 map? Reply with quote

I'm on the last day of my LMG so I thought I would hit the "Use LMG" button in TTHome to see what I would be offered. I was half expecting there to be some advert or other for the ongoing 18month update service, but instead I was offered a new map!

It reported itself as v850.2781 and being 1885Mb in size, I tried downloading it but as I'm doing so using my mobile as a modem it timed out. I've tried to get hold of it again to get more info, but I'm now told I have the latest map available. Thankfully I have the backup I made of my device before running the latest navcore update this morning, so I will be able to get a working device again!

Has anyone else seen this new map?
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having reinstalled everything on my card, I'm now offered the updated map again. And it appears that as I have the Western Zone for W&CE installed, the map that TTHome is offering me is actually "Western Europe" - note the lack of "& Central" ...

Another case of TomTom do it again? Rolling Eyes
rireed3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you have a card slot. I don't and I'm trying to get a refund on 3 of my Map Update Service quarters -- looks like Dutch small claims in the end.

People here who have card slots can help you get the full map on a 4GB card, or search on 'zones'.

Richard
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rireed3 wrote:
Lucky you have a card slot. I don't and I'm trying to get a refund on 3 of my Map Update Service quarters -- looks like Dutch small claims in the end.

I know I said card, but the device I have doesn't have a card slot... I still think of it as having a memory card though ;)

I have all of the zones downloaded to my laptop, and if I was to ever drive between two zones I will have to take a rest break for 1hr+ to swap maps out.... Rolling Eyes
rireed3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might have a case to return your satnav for a better one. I got an LMG and one quarter of a Map Update Service. TomTom won't give you the time of day, but you might have a go at the retailer. If they won't offer an exchange or something, get in touch with Trading Standards. Your guaranteed latest map isn't 'fit for purpose', in my view, so either the retailer or TomTom should be made to help out.

I only stand to get part of my update service refunded, but if I could change devices, I think I'd go for a Garmin 1340T £122, micro-SD slot, includes lane assist, standard TMC traffic re-routing, and no Bluetooth, which I think just causes trouble. Included map is UK, ROI & Western Europe. £98 for full Europe and Russia, more coverage than TomTom 'full Europe' maps.

If I have luck with UK European Consumer Centre or Netherlands small claims I'll post back.

Edit: I got the Garmin maps a bit wrong. £98 is for Russia only -- there's a Europe NT that covers up to Belarus, Ukraine and Turkey for £82.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: