Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Quickfix not quick anymore?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Quickfix not quick anymore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm202067
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: GPS Quickfix not quick anymore? Reply with quote

I have Tomtom 530 and it's taking around 3 mins to pick up a gps signal even after downloading the latest quickfix update. It was fine until a couple of months back but is really slow now for some reason. Does anyone have solution to this. Thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on the unit and move the contents of the "ephem" folder to your PC.

Then, with a good battery charge, take the unit outside and let it have a good clear view of the sky and switch on. It'll take a while to get a signal but after that it'll only be a few seconds. Leave QuickFix for a week or so and download it again, if you want to.

I get various problems with the signal on my 740 which i put down to QuickFix. Without it the unit takes ~20-30 seconds to get a fix. With QuickFix it takes 2-3 seconds. However occassionally i get an update that casues the unit to loose position randomly and i can be doing 40 mph on a local A road and the unit shows me 5 miles away doing 125 mph across fields. Eventually a QuickFix update does seem to fix this.

I only update QuickFix once a month or so now...
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the X40 & X50 I think the quickfix is also automatically downloaded via Live Services as well as Home as I once removed it and it reappeared when I had not connected to Home.

I am sure there used to be an icon on the 940 menu to manually update Quickfix but I cannot find it anymore, although it is still there on the 530.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I connect my TT once a week and get qf as one of the downloads. Average time to signal acquisition is about 45 seconds, though sometimes it is double that. It seems to make no difference as to how recently I have used my TT, I can turn on the next morning and it takes 90 secs, or after 2/3 days it can take 30 seconds.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: GPS Quickfix not quick anymore? Reply with quote

jm202067 wrote:
I have Tomtom 530 and it's taking around 3 mins to pick up a gps signal even after downloading the latest quickfix update. It was fine until a couple of months back but is really slow now for some reason. Does anyone have solution to this. Thanks.

My 930 is much the same with taking a long time to get a fix.
It use to take just a few seconds.

I think in my case this is due to the battery, which is not holding a charge, and I have ordered a new battery which hopefully should resolve the problem
jm202067
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted and saved contents of ephem file to pc as mentioned. Unit now picks up signal within 2 seconds even indoors.
Thanks for the help Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the same fix, technik?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Have you tried the same fix, technik?

I have cleared the files, and got a fix quite fast when I took it outside, but the battery died soon after.

I will try it in the car tomorrow, as it's normally the following day that it takes a while to lock the satellites.

My battery only lasts 30 seconds at best, but have ordered another which hopefully delivered next week.
crypticx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Have a look on the unit and move the contents of the "ephem" folder to your PC.

Then, with a good battery charge, take the unit outside and let it have a good clear view of the sky and switch on. It'll take a while to get a signal but after that it'll only be a few seconds. Leave QuickFix for a week or so and download it again, if you want to.

I get various problems with the signal on my 740 which i put down to QuickFix. Without it the unit takes ~20-30 seconds to get a fix. With QuickFix it takes 2-3 seconds. However occassionally i get an update that casues the unit to loose position randomly and i can be doing 40 mph on a local A road and the unit shows me 5 miles away doing 125 mph across fields. Eventually a QuickFix update does seem to fix this.

I only update QuickFix once a month or so now...

glad i spotted this post.my 730 go has been taking up to 7 mins to get a signal .just did what you said got a signal in 2 mins .might be alright now....thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: