Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Possibly a common question - buying a new satnav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibly a common question - buying a new satnav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Possibly a common question - buying a new satnav Reply with quote

This question has probably been asked loads of times already, but I'm afraid I'm about to ask it again .... Rolling Eyes

I'm looking to buy a new satnav for the car, to be in addition to / replacement for our now aging Navman icn 751 so we can keep one in each car, rather than have to keep swapping Wink

The one thing that really frustrates me with the Navaman is that you can only set the route on the unit, rather than set it up and review it on a PC then download it to the unit safe in the knowledge you know exactly where it's going to take you Embarassed

So ..... what units are out there that will let me set and review a route on a PC/laptop the download it to the satnav unit? I'm looking to spend between £100-150 and it'll also need to be relatively simple to set up via the unit also, for the wife Shocked Laughing Laughing

Oh, and I should have said hello again - signed up ages ago, but haven't been back for a fair while Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with what you want is that there is not usually a "route" transferred from the PC to the satnav. Al that gets transferred is the start and end points and the satnav itself decides on the route, which may or may not be exactly the same as was calculated by the PC.

The add-on program "Tyre" will let you create a specific route and then save it to a TomTom as an itinerary. This means that every spot on the route that you specified will be used as a seperate waypoint, making the device follow the route much more accurately.
But even then, the TomTom will still decide for itself what the route is between each section of the itinerary.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, whatever satnav you get, make sure it does support routes, ie you can specify a reasonable number of waypoints/via s/interim destinations. Some (at least they used to) only allow one of these.
jimred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy

Just how good is "tyre" then Confused Does it also allow you to record routes you travel too - like a data logger Question
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre is good, but it doesn't work like that. It is never installed on your TomTom it's a PC application that just downloads things to the TomTom (like itineraries and POIs)

If you want something that goes on the TomTom itself, you need an add-on like 'TripMaster' (full list of addons HERE), but do be aware that TomTom don't make any efforts to allow these to continue working when they produce new software versions, and may actively block them....

But I've just realised you've managed to ask the same question about Tyre in two different topics and someone else has answered in the other one.

So to keep the discussion from getting duplicated in two places please continue the discussion of Tyre and route planning HERE and keep this topic for ideas for a new sat nav.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: