Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT XL2 IQ and Custom POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT XL2 IQ and Custom POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noisy_lightning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: TT XL2 IQ and Custom POIs Reply with quote

Hi, today I "upgraded" from an original TT1 which due to a few technical problems recently with the unit and then today the windscreen mount breaking to what I figured would be a better unit, the TT XL2 IQ.

The problem I have is that I require custom POIs for both work and personal reasons and as I have only found out this evening after sitting down to install them onto my new unit, it does not support them. So much for the "upgrade"

So I am going to be returning the one I bought today and have decided to go a little higher up the lineup and get a TT Go 550 Live.

The reason I am posting all this you may be wondering.....I want to make absolutely sure that what I have read on various pages is correct and that the Go 550 live does infact support custom POIs which I can setup to warn when near them (camera alerts).

I cant see why TT would ruin such a good unit in the XL2 by removing that feature, but maybe they know something I do not.

Thanks in advance for any help.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 550 does most certainly support custom POIs.

The XL IQ2 and the other models with the simplified (translation: useless) menus do not support custom POIs.
noisy_lightning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
The 550 does most certainly support custom POIs.

The XL IQ2 and the other models with the simplified (translation: useless) menus do not support custom POIs.

Thankyou, in which case I will be getting a 550 tomorrow.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about this issue on another thread, and would also like some clarification (before I buy anything).

My local Currys has a few XL Classics left in stock, and as I would like to buy a Sat Nav for my wife, I wonder if anyone can enlighten me regarding the ability of this particular system regarding 3rd party add-ons and POI's?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the XL box has no little 2 in the brand marking you will be fine, its only the very new XL_2_IQ and XL_2_IQ_Live that are dumbed down and not worth bothering with.

The XL Classic should be fine with custom POI files, but to be on the safe side get the sales assistant or store manager to confirm you can have a no quibble refund if when you open the box the "Manage POI" menu isn't on the device - Mike
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

The XL Classic should be fine with custom POI files, but to be on the safe side get the sales assistant or store manager to confirm you can have a no quibble refund if when you open the box the "Manage POI" menu isn't on the device - Mike

Thanks Mike appreciated.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As long as the XL box has no little 2 in the brand marking you will be fine, its only the very new XL_2_IQ and XL_2_IQ_Live that are dumbed down and not worth bothering with.

Thanks for the advice. I've now bought my wife an XL classic.

Next question: does my camera subscription cover her satnav too, or do I need to take out a seperate subscription?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use use your sub on up to 3 devices

Quote:
A subscription allows you to use the Speed Camera Warning Database on a maximum of three devices owned by you or members of your immediate family who live at the same address (Note: Of the three devices, only ONE may be a CamerAlert installation).

trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. That's understood, thank you.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
fabman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: xl2 Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

hi i have xl iq routes tm edition
4emo 001/01 came in blue box it has mange pois in menu and poi alerts
raed on one of your charts that 4emo ooi/01 is av2 can any clarify this and will pockergps speed alerts work with this modej thanks fabman
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find the menu option "Warn if POI on route" then it will work fine with the Speed Camera database from this site - I have no knowledge as to the part numbers of the new _2 (simplified) models as (thankfully) I have never seen or used one - Mike
fabman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: xl iq Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you can find the menu option "Warn if POI on route" then it will work fine with the Speed Camera database from this site - I have no knowledge as to the part numbers of the new _2 (simplified) models as (thankfully) I have never seen or used one - Mike

thanks mike if i subsribe and download the database will i have to disable the tomtom ones or can they run side by side thanks fabman
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run them both side by side as a comparison as to which is better Wink - After a few days you will soon realise which one to switch off/ disable - Mike
fabman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: xl iq Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You can run them both side by side as a comparison as to which is better Wink - After a few days you will soon realise which one to switch off/ disable - Mike

thanks alot fabman

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: