Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom XXL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom XXL
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom XXL Reply with quote

I am looking to buy the TT XXL direct from TT UK, but the prob is that the UK version doesn't have TTS (which should be a standard feature in my opinion) After a look about on eBay USA (item 230477163895) they have it with not only TTS but maps of the USA/Canada and full Europe for a lot less money.

So my questions are, would I have any problems registering it via TT home in this country UK, also would a UK purchased TMC module work with it.

If anybody knows of any other probs I might encounter fell free to share them.

Last edited by bazelk on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new rds-tmc module (antenna built into the car charger) is supposed to work on both continents with the 540 XXL models.

That said, I've seen no posts anywhere where someone has verified that supposition.

Personally, I'll be finding out out next month when I take my 540 unit to Italy --- along with the traffic antenna.
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the TMC is included and it works here in the UK then it makes it an even more desiarable unit.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
....work on both continents with the 540 XXL models.
Personally, I'll be finding out out next month when I take my 540 unit to Italy .

I knew TT gave the "ONE-based" units different names (with numbers) in the US, such as the XL-330 and XL-340, but I didn't realise they had managed to use the same number - 540 - as they use for a Go model in the UK and Europe.

Do they deliberately set out to make it confusing?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Do they deliberately set out to make it confusing?

Really want an answer to that, Andy? Confused
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody help with the original questions here then ?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll say this......

I went to ebay with the reference link you provided and the item described is NOT a World Traveller edition. The full description shows only the Canada and USA maps (and there are no city navigation maps on a TomTom as such, even though the description says there are).

The title bar of the item shows this:
TomTom XXL 540 S 540-S 540S WTE Car GPS Navigation NEW

Again, the full description is not for the WTE edition which does have the Western Europe map included.

Further, ebay sellers are NOT authorized resellers of TomTom.

In other words, 'buyer beware'.
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David
Thanks for the replies here and elsewhere.
The seller is a Power seller and coupled with Paypal protection if I decide to buy here, so no probs in that department.
In the product features section it shows the full spec where as the item specs is actually only pre filled in by eBay and is not accurate.( as I have found out on numerous occasions when selling items especially electricals) The pic when zoomed or enlarged shows the box is the WTE with Europe maps, so once again no probs.

But getting back to the original question, I was going to add the necessary files to a UK purchased model if they where available (as I have done before on other models IE Garmin C510).
I have seen posts where the original XL has had TTS added very easily and I would presume that the XXL is very similar all be it a bigger screen version,and as the US version does have TTS it has to be possible.

For simplicity I think I am going to buy from one of the many dealers in the USA.
Or you could purchase and post one for me Ha! Ha! Very Happy
Regards Barry
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazelk wrote:
But getting back to the original question, I was going to add the necessary files to a UK purchased model if they where available (as I have done before on other models IE Garmin C510).
I have seen posts where the original XL has had TTS added very easily and I would presume that the XXL is very similar all be it a bigger screen version,and as the US version does have TTS it has to be possible.

You cannot just add the TTS files and then TTS works - it is nowhere near as simple as that.

If the device comes from TT with TTS enabled then all it needs is the necessary files. If it doesn't come with TTS from the factory then adding the files will not enable TTS. At boot the navcore reads the variables and sees that the device does not support TTS so deletes some of the files needed for TTS that are built in to the Navcore. Also, if you get round this bit there is also some encryption of the files built in and you will have to get round that part as well. It is getting dangerously close to 'hacking' - if you want TTS then buy a model with TTS enabled out of the box.
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you want TTS then buy a model with TTS enabled out of the box

Tried that in the form of a XL2 Europe, which as I'm sure your aware doesn't support custom POI's inc PGPSW camera data.

Next option was of course the 750 which is just a total rip off price wise.(I want a sat nav not a multimedia player)

Which brings me back to the XXL.
I now have all the necessary files and know how to get the UK XXL working with TTS.Or should I just go for the USA model and hope I can reg/us it with TT home here in the UK.
Oh decisions decisions
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazelk wrote:

Next option was of course the 750 which is just a total rip off price wise.(I want a sat nav not a multimedia player)

It's worse than you think... the x50 models don't have multimedia player features either.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom.uk are selling refurbished Go930's at the moment. North American & European maps and TTS included. That would be my choice.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I seen there referb units, and whilst having a look around the TT site I also spotted that there 12mths live subscription card is down to £47.50 which now throws the option of the TT *40 live into the choices.

Still like the XXL's 5" screen though Confused Decision Decision
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazelk
Best bang for your buck at the moment seeing as I know your occupation is a refurb 530 from TomTom.Although as you know only a 4.3 screen but it has the sd slot which is a major boon.Tomtom must be cutting the map data down to fit on the 2gb internal memory on new models.Can you load custom pois to the xxl? I dont see any mention anywhere.

Ive just bought the refurb 530 (£110 inc delivery)and its as new and arrived in 4 days with the weekend in between.Running 7000 Truck Software and its great.This is my third one Laughing Out Loud

As you know Ive had 5" screens in the past but I dont miss it at all.
Ive had most satnavs that are available at the moment but I always seem to come back to this model but I hate the mount so have purchased a Brodit Mount.

Like you I have been striving to find the perfect satnav but as you know there isnt one available at the moment so compromises have to be made.

Good Luck
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DracUK

I'm getting board with this searching for the perfect sat nav, like you say it doesn't exist. The XXL is close but for TT's brain dead idea of not inc TTS in there only UK 5" screen model.(but included in the USA model),and yes you can add your own POI's and set the distance/sounds as on the *30

I seen your recent sale (live) so presume that one was no good either.I also take it you didn't get on with the other unit we spoke about then?
I've been using my old C510T (Arrrrr bless it Laughing ) for a couple of weeks and the mickey mouse map colours has put paid to the 1490T for me.

I have seen a mount for the GO series that folds away flat the same as the one on the XL XXL range. So that coupled with the 530 or 730 direct from TT looks about the best option.

How did you get it for £110 the one I've seen on TT's site is £120 Confused

The 7000 software sounds good, we will have to have a PM about that some time

bazelk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: