Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot V5 & TomTom V3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot V5 & TomTom V3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: CoPilot V5 & TomTom V3 Reply with quote

Do we think that this will put pressure on TomTom to work harder, possibly release a map update? For the first time it looks like there could be an alternative to TT, better map data, free traffic feeds, and improved GUI.

I'm waiting for the upgrade price to be published, and then there's the Kane upgrade with TMC, things are starting to become very interesting....

I've deliberately delayed my upgrade to TT V3, and yesterday I received the upgrade, TT are now shipping CD's with V3.03, but the interesting thing is the map data files have changed or been updated.

Original map files where 102,556bytes dated 02/02/2004

The new files:-

102,072bytes dated 23/05/2004

Even though they have been updated they do not inlcude the toll road....but why have they reduced in size ? ? ?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the big pressure on TomTom will now be to provide better itineraries (with optimization) and house number precise maps. We'll see...

As for the different map size - I guess TomTom have silently fixed some map errors (maybe removed a road that's no longer there?) and recompiled it. The difference is not substantial enough for real big changes.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the big pressure on TomTom is to provide a solution that works full stop! V3 despite the numerous patches still does not work as advertised for many people. I have been real patient waiting for TT to fix the BT lockup/GPS dropout issues but they just seem to be making things worse. I would love to see TomTom's definition of testing as they don't seem to do much. We, the end users, seem to be the testers and unfortunately that seems to be the way softwrae products are going.

Having been bitten once I'm going to wait a while to see what probs CL5 raises once it has been in the wild for a while before I decide to ask for a refund on TT3 and buy CL5. If, in the meantime, TT get TTN3 working as it should then that would remove the need for me to buy CL5

Just my 2 cents Smile

Mike
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re your comment:-

As for the different map size - I guess TomTom have silently fixed some map errors (maybe removed a road that's no longer there?) and recompiled it. The difference is not substantial enough for real big changes.

This was my initial thought, which then begs the question, if they did recompile the maps why didn't they include the to tol road?
Hagfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: hard decision.. Reply with quote

I'm a total GPS newb... just ordered my CF gps card yesterday, and now I'm trying to figure out which software to use... Just when I thought I had made up my mind with tomtom USA 2, it looks like copilot 5 might be my best bet, after reading the review and the comments posted around the forum.. Anyone want to recommend something else for a gps newb? (although I'm sure whatever I use, I'll figure it out farely quickly)
TheGoodMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both TomTom 3 and CoPilot 5 all over Europe as well as in the UK.

Where TomTom 3 need to improve is searches. I have encounter many problems with the TT3 regarding this.

Many times I have used CP5 to find the place so I can input the address into the TT3. The advantage of TT3 having better looking maps is gone now. TT3 does have a better POI etc. but at the end of the day route software must be good at finding places and the quick calculation of routes. Another feature I find it useful is CP5 treats all of Europe as a one region – so going from country to country is easy and you do not need to change maps in between – this is something T3 also need to improve on.

I think CP5 is better than T3 if you are interested in good routing software which is easy to use and you will find 99% of the places on the other extent if you are interested in software which lets you add a lot of third party software etc. than go for T3 however I will advice you to carry AtoZ in case you do not find the street you would like to go to.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long have you been running cp5 and have you run them side by side also does route you are given to follow differ if how much does the route differ

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
TheGoodMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using CP5 for a while – it is a pre-release copy. On some routes I have run both programs side-by-side and I have found that with TomTom if you take a wrong turn it will ask you to do a turn into one of the side roads and it will get you onto the same route. However if you ignore the instructions a few time it will re-calculate the new route. With CP5 if you miss the turn it will try to find the new route from your new point.

The calculation of routes is much better with CP5 for cross countries travel within Europe as unlike T3 you do not need to exchange maps at the boarder so routes are accurate. The route within the UK is more or less the same with both programs apart from M6 Toll road which T3 do not support.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: