Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Nuvi 3760 on sale??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Nuvi 3760 on sale??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressed with 3790T. Received today and only used in pedestrian mode around central London and thought the 3d was much better than on my 765T with St.Pauls, Houses of Parliament nicely displayed.

The mapping is much clearer - looks more like a map with more detail and features. More road names displayed - redraw speed seems about the same but that is with much more detail. Screen is very responsive and sat lock very quick

My unit shipped with firmware 2.20. GPS firmware is 2.20 (can't tell if it is SiRFstarIV but it is quick).

Maps were 2011.10, 3d is 2011.10 and NuTrends is version 2.0.

New features are an alarm clock otherwise I didn't spot much new although you can now customise the map in terms of colours etc... but the most,more,less detail option for the map seems to have disappeared.

Haven't tried the voice command yet.

Screen brightness is much better than on my 1690T.

Menus are slightly different - the up / down arrows are now on the lefthand vertical sidebar rather than at the bottom of the screen.

Speedcamera database is 5th April 2010 so these can only have been made in the last few weeks.

Overall a nice unit - please so far, just need to go for a drive now.

Let me know what else you want to know.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you do a comparison of cyclops' latest offering with (later) today's release?

MaFt
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt

I'll have a go. I download the PGPSW cameras every week (as you'll know) whereas I don't bother updating the Cyclops one. My comment was made to show how new the units being shipped are.

I'm not too sure about the "screen pinch" as I tend to still use the + and - buttons in the right of the screen to zoom in and out - old habbits die hard!
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - got a few hundred miles on the 3790T so here goes.

Very impressed with the unit - you do have to be firmer with the key presses than on the 1690 / 765 type of screen and the gloss finish is prone to fingermarks. There is a new display timeout function.

The zooming in / out is better - seems to zoom out more when you have no upcoming turns and gradually zoom in as you get closer. I had my 1690 running side by side with the 3790 and the zooming was definitely different yet much smoother.

Display is the best thing about the unit. You can customise the map dispay to your country, ie in the UK Motorways now show up as Blue, A roads as green or red and B roads as yellow as you would see on a map. You can choose between UK, French, German, Dutch, Danish, Polish, Italian etc........ You can't change the colours individually, just by Country but it is a nice touch. The topographical display also gives a "warmer" feel to the unit. In town there are many more road names displayed - almost back to the 360 Nuvis. It was more like using a proper digitised map with background colours rather than a stark white. You can also have the more detailed map data layout like the newer Nuvis.

Most of the Nuroutes / Nutrends data is accessed via the Navigation screen and is either enabled or disabled.

The Photoreal junctions are fantastic, much better than on the 1690 or 765 as they are photos of the junction not a "drawn graphic" of the junctions and there are more on the 2011,10 map on the 3790 than my 1690 - go figure???

The World basemap is version 5 and there is a European DEM map as well as the 2011.10 map, 3dmap and nutrends data.

When you enter a tunnel the screen automatically switches into night mode.

Browse map function os like that of the 765 with a 360degree reotation

I haven't seen much evidence of Nutrends working but the 3790 routes differently to my 1690 so something has changed.

There only seems to be a Car and Pedestrian mode now from the main screen, bicycle is there but takes a few screens to get to it.

When you encounter traffic there is a new screen that calculates two routes for you to choose - no option to detour a specific road as per all other Nuvi's.

The speaker is plenty lound enough in the unit itself so I am surprised that there was a need for one in the mount but this works fine and I have the volume turned down to 40%.

The vertical / horizontal change of screen works fine, only a slight tilt and it changes orientation - split junction view and road view is nice.

I think there are one or two minor bugs - key presses are firm which may be ok in Pedestrian mode but not for Driving mode. If you go off route the 3790 takes longer to recalculate the route than the 1690 by some margin - this may be due to looking at the nutrends data.

I haven't tried the voice control but I was surprised that you can set commands for routes and basic instructions - not the "wake up" phrase that Garmin have been promoting.

The Garmin Speed Camera alerts are now displayed in a larger and more readable box - hopefully when I upload the latest PGPSW database this weekend they will be displayed clearer.

If you click the "off" button the unit goes into sleep mode so that a quick tap brings you straight back to Where to screen whereas holding the "off" button for a few seconds gives you the shutdown option.

All in all very impressed and I am sure this will be a winner for Garmin.

I've taken some side by side shots so if I can find out how to upload I will.

Last edited by BAVC10 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key presses on mine is the same as the iphone, just placing my finger on the screen is enough, it's very sensitive.
The voice recognition is brilliant, better than my 865, as sometimes on the 865 when you said a place name it would give you a different one as it wouldn't quite understand the pronunciation, but on the 3790 so far it's got them all right, I haven't tested this in the car yet.

You also say bicycle is not available on the main screen, do you mean if you press the car icon next to the BT one, as on mine I have the bicycle one there too.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellFire
Not tried the Voice Command yet - but sounds impressive.

The bicycle icon shows up on the main screen (icon) but on the Settings, Navigation screen you only get Car or Pedestrian modes.

First screenshot shows new detail with "map like" background
image 1
New Traffic incident screen
image 2
All Roads labelled
image 3
New Alternate route in traffic
image 4
Uk "A" Roads show in Green with UK Map theme
image 5
Map Overview screen with new DEM file
image 6
UK Motorways now show in Blue with UK Map theme
image 7
Traffic congestion screen updated
image 8
The next two are from the Navigation screen - Note Map Theme and NuRoute
image 921035
NuRoute detail screen
image 10

Screenshot of VoiceCommand - Greyed out as Go Home not yet set up and no active route set up either.
image 11

images changed by MaFt - they were too wide for the forum Very Happy
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photoreal junction view is much more detailed and comprehensive on the 3790 than the 1690 - see shots below.

I tried to simulate a few routes on Friday and I obtained different routes into Central London with NuRoutes on versus NuRoutes off - the former took me a less direct and less congested route. Interestingly, when I tried the same route today I go the same results with NuRoutes on as off - so there does seem to be a time / day factor built into the Nuvi. Other than a tickbox, there is nothing obvious that says NuRoutes is on and working unless you know a particular route well.

Screenshot showing UK Map Theme note Blue and Green shown for first time instead of Red and Yellows we have been used to
Image 1

Photoreal Junctionview - much better than on 1690 / 765 series
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4

Changed IMG tages to URL. Sorry too big again. Max 450 wide and 800 high - PaulB2005
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I'm pretty impressed with your screen shots. Really helps show the significant upgrades the 3700 series reportedly brings to the nuvi line. The actual junction photographs is a useful improvement on the typical generic drawings, very good to see the increased map detail and street names. Very clean looking menu. Good reports too on screen response and voice control.
deano777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW screen shots look amazing Smile

currently using a 765T which I have very much enjoyed using, are looking to upgrade to 3760 or 3790.

Before I buy is any one able to do a comparisons between tomtom IQ routes ( http://routes.tomtom.com ) and the new nuvi routes thing?

Would be interested to see if there are any similarities between them at all.

Or has any one used the IQ routes and nuvi routes to be able to compare?

TIA
Deano777
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Before I buy is any one able to do a comparisons between tomtom IQ routes ( http://routes.tomtom.com ) and the new nuvi routes thing?

Someone pick a route, day and time and i'll run it on my TT 740 and report the route back...

Nice screenshots BTW. I know those 3 junctions well.... Sure i recognised the 3rd one before reading the ganty signs...
deano777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about kidderminster to kings lynn 16:30 ?

this is a route I have travelled in the past and always seem to end up stuck in traffic.

thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kidderminster - King's Lynn

Tomorrow 16 June 2010

16:30

Fastest Route

-----
3.04 Hours - 142 Miles

-----

Kidderminster
A451 The Ringway
A456 Coventry Street
A456 Kidderminster Road
A456 Hagley Causeway
A456 Manor Way
M5 The North West
Junction 8 London
M6
A14
Junction 13 Peterborough
A605
A605
A1139 Wisbech
Peterborough Road
A47
Clenchwarton
Clenchwarton Road
A148 Wisbech Road
A148 Out South Gates
Millfleet
Church Street
Saturday Market Place
Kings Lynn

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano777

I think NuRoutes isn't as well established as IQ Routes but I know that Garmin is now collating data so should quickly get up to speed (no pun intended)!

I would personally pay the extra £35 / £40 for the 3790. The mapping detail has 3d in city centres (depends if you are rural / motorway user as you won't see any benefit of 3d on these routes) BUT the 2 biggies are:
- Terrain Maps - This makes the background come to life as per my screenshots rather than just "white space" where there are no roads
- Voice Activation - I didn't buy the unit for this feature but it is pretty cool and it works really really well.
deano777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info BAVC10,

I wonder if all the detail would make the unit run slower? Have you found it to be slow, especially when 3d buildings are on the screen?

I generally prefer the routing of the Garmin to TOMTOM any how. (more TOMTOMusers mean less traffic on my route ;) )

Where did you get your 3790 from?

Thanks
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano777 - Purchased from Handtec.

The initial route calculation or recalculating takes lnger on my 3790T than the 1690T - I assume this is to do with the additional data in NuRoutes as the map drawing is quicker, even in central London.

Screenshot showing the new "alternate route" when the unit encounters Traffic - seems that when "red / severe" traffic is encountered the unit automatically recalculates your route but on "yellow / general traffic" you are now given a choice with the route summary. In this example I was given the option of avoiding the congested section of the M25 North of Heathrow (Route B) although states longer in time it avoided the delay / congestion. If you do nothing the route stays as you originally calculated it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: