Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nexus One compared to TT satnav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nexus One compared to TT satnav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Nexus One compared to TT satnav Reply with quote

OK as you can see I have busted me TT 730 so am on the hunt for a new Sat Nav. As I'm up for a new phone as well I wonder if anyone can comment on the sat nav capabilities of the Google Nexus one, I know you can't compare it to my old TT but does the nexus work as a sat nav or is it just a gimmick.

Any comments ??

Thanks
doc_man_101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: yes and no :) Reply with quote

I've got the HTC Desire - pretty much the same phone. I'm not going to ditch my TomTom yet.

The navigation works fine - and it reads out street names, optionally links to Google's 'street view' and all that stuff.

It downloads route information when you set up your destination (which you can do as a google search instead of a simple street/postcode/poi if you want to): if you loose network coverage en route, you'd better not stray too far from the planned route, or you'll have no map!

So besides being good with search - Google's speciality - the rest is fairly basic. There's not many options for the display, no way that I know of to use a speed camera database, etc. Google keeps some traffic info with its maps application, but I'm not certain it uses it in the navigation ... yet.

The way I look at it is that the navigation is going to get better over time - these people love to innovate. And because of the way the phone and the apps work, you'll always have the latest version, with the latest data.

Having both at the moment, if my TomTom died tomorrow would I rely on the Googlephone instead, or buy a new proper satnav? I'm not sure. I'd prefer to give Google another year or so before relying on their system - unless you just want a really basic one.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, given I use my sat nav maily for holidays & the odd trip to an unknown place I might just give the Nexus a go & see how I get on.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like doc_man_101 I have an HTC Desire & Google maps is a joy to behold on the Hi Res screen but I don't think I'd be very happy trying to follow it whilst clipped to the dashboard a few feet away, although opera glasses may help Shocked - also the screen is very sensitive & would probably be almost impossible to use whilst mounted on the dash
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having use an HTC Desire to "try" out the satnav its nearly there.

The smooth scrolling of the map is pure joy, This is how a TomTom should work, next to my TT520 its like watching a Blueray DVD compared to a silent black and white movie. The TT jumps every second to update your location the HTC just smoothly moves the map. As Jeremy Clarkson would say its like watching hot treacle run down a young womans back!

The screen layout was not bad just not what I was used to.

Could I use it? Yes I could. I don’t know about all the functions or the amount of data that’s downloaded but from my short test runs its very usable.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI maca2
I have an iPhone 3G. Great piece of kit it is too. However, I have tried out a couple of the Navigation Apps just to see what they are were like and consequently I will be sticking to my Tomtom for navigation purposes.

The Apps were better than nothing but my Tomtom is in a different league as far as navigation is concerned.. I have no doubt the Apps will get better but that day is not here yet.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingfuzz wrote:
Having use an HTC Desire to "try" out the satnav its nearly there.

The smooth scrolling of the map is pure joy, This is how a TomTom should work, next to my TT520 its like watching a Blueray DVD compared to a silent black and white movie. The TT jumps every second to update your location the HTC just smoothly moves the map.

I'll second your Blueray / B & W analogy & the update speed on the 550 is no better. Faced with a slightly complicated junction it's not unusual for the 550 to lag quite badly as it struggles with a slow processor & poor screen refresh rate but until someone brings out a Sat Nav with HTC quality combined with TomTom sat nav usability I'll be sticking with the 550
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great replies, thanks.

"watching hot treacle run down a young woman's back" you have sold it to me & I will be ordering today so if all else fails I will still have a new phone Laughing
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Update on Nexus Reply with quote

Well I have had the Nexus One a few days now & am blown away with the sat nav part of it.

It's a joy to use & I now have updated maps at no extra cost along with a great phone. I would never speak badly about TT because I have used it since TT3 was out on my PDA & I have tried many other sat nav software but always come back to TT. I do have to say however, I am glad I busted my 730 now because the nexus navigation is so smooth & clear on the screen & a great touch is that it shows an actual picture of the destination at the end as if you are standing there just so you know your at the right place, brilliant, it come's with all the connections & web access you could wish for it's amazing.

As yet you can't configure it as you can on the TT's buy my god TT have got to take some of the functions of this system if they are going to keep up, It's very usable indeed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: